ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:00 am 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:31 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Seattle, Washington
I wasn't all that serious. :rupe:

From the point of view of a potential copyright holder, i wouldn't want anybody distributing my hard work for free, which is money out of my pocket. If I was a large corporation I'd kick your ass, too. something something are you kidding me.

_________________
http://www.ericaenns.com
http://spools.comicgen.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:39 am 
Offline
PostWhorePornStar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:00 pm
Posts: 5766
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
I do propose that we get rid of some of the gigantic retarded macromoticons that Krylex added, like :asianroll: or :calvin: . However charming http://themidlands.net/macro/calvin.jpg and http://themidlands.net/macro/roll.gif are, they aren't really emoticons in any way, shape, or form.

_________________
iothera: a science fantasy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:45 am 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:25 am
Posts: 2557
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Much of this sounds fair, and many of the modifications being talked about are already present in phpBB3.

For example, in that system you can limit the number of emoticons per post, or automatically limit image size, or, I think, you can even set icons for different topics or forums that would indicate subject matter (unless I'm misunderstanding that section of my admin panel). And yes, probation is allowed too, I think I saw a section for that earlier.

One question... for NSFW boards/sections/categories/threads, do NSFW images always need the tag? If not, are there certain types of images that DO need the tag, while others don't? How should those be defined?

^-^'

_________________
I <3 Parker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: I am so seriously sick of this emoticon conversation, I am going to set you all on fire.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:55 am 
Offline
Spawn of Kyhm and D
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 4498
Location: Australia
Imp-Chan wrote:
Much of this sounds fair, and many of the modifications being talked about are already present in phpBB3.

For example, in that system you can limit the number of emoticons per post, or automatically limit image size, or, I think, you can even set icons for different topics or forums that would indicate subject matter (unless I'm misunderstanding that section of my admin panel). And yes, probation is allowed too, I think I saw a section for that earlier.

One question... for NSFW boards/sections/categories/threads, do NSFW images always need the tag? If not, are there certain types of images that DO need the tag, while others don't? How should those be defined?

^-^'

I'll restate, limiting emoticon use in a post is the dumbest thing currently being discussed in this thread. You're trying to "improve" the quality of the post based on your own perception of what is better. Let's also conquer Japan; Those savages worship false gods and idols. Converting them to Christianity would be for the greater good!

Suggestions to upgrade to PHPBB3, whilst understandable, are not really viable. A lot of the forum usability is created through hacks and exploits made by Kyhm; It is doubtful that they would continue to function. Also since he's already started work on the new server, unless he's already decided to move to PHPBB3, I doubt we'll see a change in the board software. This of course is not meant to say that your suggestion is not a good one, simply that it is most likely not viable at this current time.

NSFW, in my opinion, should always carry the tag. Just because a forum is NSFW-viable does not make all the content within NSFW, adding a simple tag to a topic allows people to safely navigate the forum no matter where they are, unless we want to make a forum specifically for NSFW material, and nothing else. I do not personally see that there is a demand for it.

As for how we determine what is NSFW..? If you looked at it at work, and got in trouble, then it is not safe for work. You can also look at it as if your mother is looking over your shoulder. Do you want her to see that eel entering a lady? Doubtful. In rare occasions I imagine that an admin or mod will have to step in and rule something as NSFW when the tag hasn't been implied, but I am confident that the community is not completely suffering from the dreadful downs, and can identify for itself.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I am so seriously sick of this emoticon conversation, I am going to set you all on fire.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 am 
Offline
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3342
Location: ich bin ein Auslander
Ezelek wrote:
Imp-Chan wrote:
Much of this sounds fair, and many of the modifications being talked about are already present in phpBB3.

For example, in that system you can limit the number of emoticons per post, or automatically limit image size, or, I think, you can even set icons for different topics or forums that would indicate subject matter (unless I'm misunderstanding that section of my admin panel). And yes, probation is allowed too, I think I saw a section for that earlier.

One question... for NSFW boards/sections/categories/threads, do NSFW images always need the tag? If not, are there certain types of images that DO need the tag, while others don't? How should those be defined?

^-^'

I'll restate, limiting emoticon use in a post is the dumbest thing currently being discussed in this thread. You're trying to "improve" the quality of the post based on your own perception of what is better. Let's also conquer Japan; Those savages worship false gods and idols. Converting them to Christianity would be for the greater good!

Suggestions to upgrade to PHPBB3, whilst understandable, are not really viable. A lot of the forum usability is created through hacks and exploits made by Kyhm; It is doubtful that they would continue to function. Also since he's already started work on the new server, unless he's already decided to move to PHPBB3, I doubt we'll see a change in the board software. This of course is not meant to say that your suggestion is not a good one, simply that it is most likely not viable at this current time.

NSFW, in my opinion, should always carry the tag. Just because a forum is NSFW-viable does not make all the content within NSFW, adding a simple tag to a topic allows people to safely navigate the forum no matter where they are, unless we want to make a forum specifically for NSFW material, and nothing else. I do not personally see that there is a demand for it.

As for how we determine what is NSFW..? If you looked at it at work, and got in trouble, then it is not safe for work. You can also look at it as if your mother is looking over your shoulder. Do you want her to see that eel entering a lady? Doubtful. In rare occasions I imagine that an admin or mod will have to step in and rule something as NSFW when the tag hasn't been implied, but I am confident that the community is not completely suffering from the dreadful downs, and can identify for itself.


for clarification - i'm guessing by tag ez means putting (NSFW) in the title of a topic. If impy was referring to the modified spoiler code we've proposed, i have this to say;

tagging a thread in a NSFW forum shoudn't be neccesary, since the whole forum is labeled NSFW, but it could be considered polite. I'd like to see more discussion on the etiquette of this matter, and whether ettiquete should become a rule for clarification purposes.

Using the modified spoiler code should be unnecesary in a NSFW thread, on a NSFW board. Other circumstances are up for debate, but i would think that NSFW content in any other situation should probably be hidden under the modded spoiler code - as soon as we make it, of course. As to whether a board should have any NSFW content at all, be it hidden or otherwise, that will be up to the mods and/or communities of particular boards.

What is and isn't NSFW is unfortunately somewhat subjective, but a common sense rule is good enough here i think. As ez said, if you'd get in trouble for looking at it, or reading it, (or possibly saying it? this may be going too far...) then assume it's NSFW and play it on the safe side. Also, use the code for comedy value at your own discretion.

I have to agree that limiting or removing emoteicons is dumb. if people overuse them, we just call them retarded, or you can report the post for the user being reterded.

If it annoys users, then it will be brought to the mod's attention. if no-one cares it will not become an issue. THE FIRST STEP SHOULD BE THE USERS UTILIZING THE REPORT SYSTEM TO DECIDE WHAT THEY LIKE AND WHAT GIVES THEM THE SHITS.

probational bans could be a good way of recording warning flags. even if the ban lasts only for an hour, it will point to the fact that a mod or admin had to step in and do something to fix a situation. It will help leave a 'paper trail' of mod and admin involvement for other mods and admins to refer to for repeat offendors etc.

Honestly, i don't see there being many problems like this, but we might as well decide on the infrastructure now so that if the situation does arise, everybody knows what's going on to limit the running and the screaming.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:22 am 
Offline
Local
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 197
Location: In the belly of the beast
Actually, I'm on board with stopping the repeating emoticon posts -- such as the wonderful one where the smiley face gets bigger and bigger, until you just get tired of trying to load the page and walk away. If it stops a user from caring about looking, it's likely to turn away new users, or even give them the idea that that's cool and they should do it too.

What's the word on having a front page for content?

_________________
It's like waking from a dream, into a fog you cannot shake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:15 am 
Offline
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3342
Location: ich bin ein Auslander
finalcarrots wrote:
Actually, I'm on board with stopping the repeating emoticon posts -- such as the wonderful one where the smiley face gets bigger and bigger, until you just get tired of trying to load the page and walk away. If it stops a user from caring about looking, it's likely to turn away new users, or even give them the idea that that's cool and they should do it too.

What's the word on having a front page for content?


that falls into breaking the forums. In this example, you, the user, would report the offending post and a mod would come and edit it to be not annoying.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:45 pm 
Offline
Addict

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 1653
Location: UrAnus
I don't like the NSFW tagging.
There used to be a sense of adventure every time I read a thread in unrelated.

Even after I lost that sense of adventure (pretty much when Lifyre stopped posting) I was still smart enough to never read the forums in a situation where someone could glance at my screen. It's common sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:30 pm 
Offline
Spawn of Kyhm and D
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 4498
Location: Australia
Psycojes wrote:
I don't like the NSFW tagging.
There used to be a sense of adventure every time I read a thread in unrelated.

Even after I lost that sense of adventure (pretty much when Lifyre stopped posting) I was still smart enough to never read the forums in a situation where someone could glance at my screen. It's common sense.

Limiting the situations where you can view a forum is a good way to not actually have people looking at the forums. This is not really something we want to do. If you want to recapture that sense of adventure, dive into /b/. The party van will be by soon to pick you up for your free holiday.

madadric wrote:
for clarification - i'm guessing by tag ez means putting (NSFW) in the title of a topic. If impy was referring to the modified spoiler code we've proposed, i have this to say;

tagging a thread in a NSFW forum shoudn't be neccesary, since the whole forum is labeled NSFW, but it could be considered polite. I'd like to see more discussion on the etiquette of this matter, and whether ettiquete should become a rule for clarification purposes.

Using the modified spoiler code should be unnecesary in a NSFW thread, on a NSFW board. Other circumstances are up for debate, but i would think that NSFW content in any other situation should probably be hidden under the modded spoiler code - as soon as we make it, of course. As to whether a board should have any NSFW content at all, be it hidden or otherwise, that will be up to the mods and/or communities of particular boards.


Yes, I am talking about a tag that goes alongside the topic name, not the tags inside the topic itself. And I don't mean that when you create a topic you write "[NSFW] Fags inside", but rather you write "Fags inside" and choose the NSFW tag from your creation sidebar. Y'know, like SA. (Where all the cool kids are at.)

As for using something like a NSFW spoiler tag? No, I don't think so. Objects hidden by the tag are still loaded, so if you're in a subject that isn't flagged as NSFW, and someone throws up a NSFW image (under a tag), it'll still go through, as such. I'm probably not articulating this correctly, but if you want to link to say... a picture of madadric naked, the format should be "[NSFW]image LINK goes here[NSFW]". I sincerely hope this never ever occurs.

Horse with no name wrote:
Actually, I'm on board with stopping the repeating emoticon posts -- such as the wonderful one where the smiley face gets bigger and bigger, until you just get tired of trying to load the page and walk away. If it stops a user from caring about looking, it's likely to turn away new users, or even give them the idea that that's cool and they should do it too.


As Madadric said, this is an abuse of how the phpBB works, and not a flaw in the emoticons itself. You can do this to pretty much any image file, and thus this should be treated as we'd treat any forum exploit or table breakage. It is not limited to nor truly attached to the emoticon system in any way, therefore it is not a viable excuse for why emoticons should be limited or removed.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:18 am 
Offline
Green Text

Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 4126
Location: Clouds, rain, and green fields...
Ezelek wrote:
As for using something like a NSFW spoiler tag? No, I don't think so. Objects hidden by the tag are still loaded, so if you're in a subject that isn't flagged as NSFW, and someone throws up a NSFW image (under a tag), it'll still go through, as such. I'm probably not articulating this correctly, but if you want to link to say... a picture of madadric naked, the format should be "[NSFW]image LINK goes here[NSFW]". I sincerely hope this never ever occurs.

We already have this, people just haven't figured it out yet.

[spoiler="NSFW"]See? Go crazy, kids![/spoiler]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:24 am 
Offline
Spawn of Kyhm and D
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 4498
Location: Australia
Kest wrote:
Ezelek wrote:
As for using something like a NSFW spoiler tag? No, I don't think so. Objects hidden by the tag are still loaded, so if you're in a subject that isn't flagged as NSFW, and someone throws up a NSFW image (under a tag), it'll still go through, as such. I'm probably not articulating this correctly, but if you want to link to say... a picture of madadric naked, the format should be "[NSFW]image LINK goes here[NSFW]". I sincerely hope this never ever occurs.

We already have this, people just haven't figured it out yet.

[spoiler="NSFW"]See? Go crazy, kids![/spoiler]

Again, it's still loading the content. If you're reading a SFW topic at work, but someone puts a NSFW object under a tag, you may have to suddenly explain to your boss why you have an image request to buxomtrannies.com. Linking is much better than imbedding.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:33 am 
Offline
Green Text

Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 4126
Location: Clouds, rain, and green fields...
Eh? That wasn't what I meant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:29 am 
Offline
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3342
Location: ich bin ein Auslander
i see Ez's point. If a forum user were to have bosses assholish or astute enough to check the logs for their staff's browsing history, and the staff memeber was browsing a thread that was not marked NSFW, and an image was hidden under the NSFW code (BTW, kest's kung-fu is stronger than mine) then the image linked would still load, and this may leave some serious questions for the user to answer.

In light of this, does the NSFW spoiler become obsolete before it was implemented?

also, i too like the idea of these little content indication icons. they make my nerdy little heart beat just that little bit faster.

The problem is, with the regularity that threads get derailed in the forums, would they too become obsolete?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:23 am 
Offline
Green Text

Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 4126
Location: Clouds, rain, and green fields...
madadric wrote:
The problem is, with the regularity that threads get derailed in the forums, would they too become obsolete?

One of my stances is to split threads that get completely off track. It's fairly simple to do, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 am 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 4439
Location: You can't take the sky from me. Since I found Serenity.
madadric wrote:
In light of this, does the NSFW spoiler become obsolete before it was implemented?


No, but it does mean that if you want that functionality it needs to be implimented via AJAX. (Which is more work than I wanted to do, but less scary than it sounds.)

_________________
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day,
Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Guidelines: approaching final draft?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:27 am 
Offline
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3342
Location: ich bin ein Auslander
madadric wrote:
Okay, if no-one has any further suggestions, i propose this as the user guidelines. If you do see anything that you want changed, or discussed, or you see any typos/spelling errors, please say so in this thread.


FORUM GUIDELINES

Here are some behavior guidelines. Note that many of these are just suggestions on how to not call down the Forum members' and eventually the Moderators and Administrators' wrath.

If you annoy the other users enough, they will complain to the Mods either via PM, the Meta board, or by reporting your posts.

If you annoy the Mods enough, they will nominate you for a probational banning or permanent banning.

After debating your fate, the Admins will vote on whether or not you are temporarily banned for a probational period, permanently banned, or that the users and Mods are all pussies, and you can carry about your business.

USERS:

Things that are annoying. You probably shouldn't do these on a regular basis.

  • Lots of low content posts in a short period of time. This is stuff like posting nothing but "lol" as a reply in a thread. How about contributing a little more, huh?
  • Table breaking. This is stuff like too many nested quotes and posting overly large images. Anything wider than say, 900 pixels is annoying and you should use the following HTML to shink it down.

    Code:
    <a href="imageurlhere"><img src="imageurlhere" width="900"></a>


    If you don't use these and someone gets annoyed and reports the post, a mod will have to fix it, and the Mod will get annoyed with you.
  • Flaming other users. A good *zing* every now and then is great, but if all you do is belittle and harass your forum-mates, you'll likely get reported and a Mod will *zing* you, with Mod powers.
  • Being 'creepy' This is basically giving attention to a fellow user who has explicitly said they do not want such attention. These can be sticky situations, the first step should be the offended person saying they are 'creeped out' by the offender's actions. If the behaviour continues, report the posts. NOTE: this only really applies if you are the one being 'harassed'. Unless the 'victim' is complaining, all you can really say is "Take it to PMs and stop annoying me with this rubbish."

Things that are bad. Doing these will get you in trouble or banned.


  • Posting other's personal information without their permission. If you post someone's address, phone number, or details about their personal lives without their permission, you will get banned.
  • Posting illegal content. If you post illegal content like underage porn (even if it is of yourself) and a Mod finds it, you'll get banned.
  • Trolling. If you do it enough, people will get sick of you and keep reporting your posts. If a Mod gets sick of your bullshit, you'll get banned.
  • Posting NSFW images/content in a safe for work thread. This will get you in trouble, and if you keep it up or the image is bad enough, you'll get banned. NSFW content should be tagged as such, such as a NSFW tag in the title of the thread.

    NSFW is content, either images, text, sound, or video content that a government employee would get in trouble for viewing at work.

    NSFW images include images with explicit sexual content, extreme confronting nudity, and gory 'shock' images.

    NSFW text includes in-depth graphic descriptions of sexual acts. Profanity is generally considered to not fall in this catagory, but it will depend on the context in which it is used.

    NSFW sound and video contain spoken profanity and sexually explicit sounds, and video contains sexually explicit images.

    Mostly, when deciding whether something is NSFW, use some common sense. If you are not sure, mark questionable text under a NSFW spoiler code bar and link nsfw images, sound, and video, with watning marking them as NSFW.




Things a user SHOULD do.

  • Be interesting.
  • Report posts that don't fall into the guidelines and annoy you. If you don't report it, then it won't get fixed. Making the users the first step of quality control means that users will shape the quality of the forums.

MODERATORS

Things a Mod does.

  • Fix reported posts, and tells the user how they can avoid annoying the users/Mods more. OR leave the post be if they consider nothing wrong with the post.
  • Forum maintenance, such as locking bad threads, or moving off-topic threads found in their forums of responsibility, or moving dead awesome threads to the hall of fame/flame.
  • Nominate people that do bad things too much or annoying things waaaayyy too much for probation or banning.

Things mods should not do.

  • Abuse their powers. (too much) If you feel you have been unfairly dealt with by a Mod, make a thread in Meta/Bulletin Board. If you cannot post, either email an Admin or use the User Issues submission form located Here. (when we build it.)

ADMINISTRATORS

Things an Adminsitrator does.

  • Keep the forums running smoothly etc. Lock threads, split threads, delete spambots and other such internet garbage.
  • Implement new features. Add extra functionality to the boards, add extra boards as needed/requested.
  • Discuss and vote on perma-bans and then banning the offenders.
  • Answer user issues that cannot be addressed by moderators, such as lost password emails and such.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group