ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:29 pm 
Green Text

Cpt. Supermarket wrote:
Sair wrote:
Kest wrote:
A coffee table is not in any way slick, more impractical. What I see is technology with enormous potential being thrown away for the moment on some expensive, trashy gimmick.

Have you ever spent an extended period of time looking down on something?

You.

This is what I originally read.

You have keen eyes, sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:24 am 
Addict

Kest wrote:
What I see is technology with enormous potential being thrown away for the moment on some expensive, trashy gimmick.

= Gadget.

It's all part of the consumerist nature, give the mob a flashy piece of kit and they'll feel like a techno-pimp for ages. Then release it in pink for the girl that's gotta have everything.

Post subject: Re: Gadgets of the Future
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:35 pm 
Addict

Sair wrote:
I don't get this reaction, and I keep seeing it all over the place: Durr, it's not a keyboard! How wills I manage my typering!

It is (or will be, if they ever get it working right) a slick piece of technology. Good for you, you want a fucking keyboard. You may not be aware, but there are other fucking input devices as well, and good use for them. Are you so damned stupid that you just can't see beyond anything you already know?

The fact remains that for text input with a limited character set like English, predefined keys are the most efficient way, and said keys rely heavily on tactile feedback. The only way I can see a touchpad being better for text input is with a very large character set where it's quicker to draw them, as in Chinese/Japanese.

As far as non-text uses, I wouldn’t call this a new input device, just an improved touchpad that can read more than one pressure point at a time. If you’re using your fingers to operate it, it’s going to have problems with smudging and screen occlusion from your hands. If you’re using a stylus, it’s going to be hard to use two at once anyway. It’s kind of neat and will probably find some limited use, but no, I don’t think it’s very exciting.

EDIT: Oh, and trying to have two people use it at once would be annoying as fuck for most applications. Other than as, say, a really expensive twister mat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:14 am 
Addict

I have read this (http://gizmag.com/go/7418/) article, and promtly went to ask my father (A Ph. D. in solid-state physics) about it. After an hour and a crash course in electricity later, we both decided that it's about time someone continued the work Tesla began.

Then I noticed who founded the research: Army Research Office (Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies)...
I'll rephrase it: Army Research Office (Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies)...
Up 'till now I've wondered how can we power electronic nano-machines, and I think that this idea is the answer. WI, we're one step closer to oblivion, aren't we?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2