ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:37 am 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:36 am
Posts: 1512
Vass wrote:
Plus people don't think automatic and semiautomatic rifles are needed to shoot kangaroos. Or crocodiles.


I dunno. If you're a bad shot, semi-auto might be a good idea.

_________________
I had that dream again
where I was lost
for good in outer space


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:41 am 
Offline
PostWhorePornStar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:17 pm
Posts: 5981
Location: Around about there.
Sair wrote:
Vass wrote:
Plus people don't think automatic and semiautomatic rifles are needed to shoot kangaroos. Or crocodiles.

I dunno. If you're a bad shot, semi-auto might be a good idea.

Spray and pray?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:58 am 
Offline
Addict

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 5:00 pm
Posts: 3759
Location: your house, your living room, your sofa
madadric wrote:
The idea of trigger-happy criminals shooting up a bank is bad enough, you want to add trigger-happy civilians in there as well?

Is it still counted as a massacre if the poeple who did it were just trying to shoot at each other, but got everyone else instead?

I'm quite happy to leave shooting at and capturing criminals up to the <b>trained proffessionals</b> whose job it is to do so. If i wanted to get shot at and killed or shoot at and kill people i'd join the fucking army.


Dude you just don't understand life on the mean streets and parks of Reno...

_________________
Where in the name of Deus Ex Machina did that T-Rex come from?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:47 am 
Offline
PostWhorePornStar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 10544
Location: Bris-Vegas Australia
Cue the people who've shot a man in Reno once, just to watch him die.

Actor.

_________________
"Why can't we go back to living like cavemen? I know it was a rough and ready existence - the men where always rough and the women were always ready! " - Santa.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:57 am 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:36 am
Posts: 1512
Vass wrote:
Sair wrote:
Vass wrote:
Plus people don't think automatic and semiautomatic rifles are needed to shoot kangaroos. Or crocodiles.

I dunno. If you're a bad shot, semi-auto might be a good idea.

Spray and pray?


Not really, no.

_________________
I had that dream again
where I was lost
for good in outer space


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:22 pm 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3246
Location: Frigid/boiling midwest.
actor_au wrote:
Cue the people who've shot a man in Reno once, just to watch him die.

Actor.


I went to a bakery in Reno, just because I like pie.

_________________
n(people that love you) - n(your mum)=0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:30 pm 
Offline
Native
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:17 am
Posts: 871
Location: New York City
themadthinker wrote:
actor_au wrote:
Cue the people who've shot a man in Reno once, just to watch him die.

Actor.


I went to a bakery in Reno, just because I like pie.


I once lived near Reno, and I have no idea why.

Blue Sun Missile
ends in a Y

_________________
Image
Pintsize wrote:
"If Aliens ever really tried to contact us, it'd be through the internet, then 4CHAN would probably scare them off"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:22 pm 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:43 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
onion wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
OK, let me make it simple for you:

Guy dragged a woman out of her car with a gun. It's a fair assumption that he planned on using that gun if things went wrong (and, even more likely, to kill the woman he was dragging out of said car). Since this is what actually happened, I don't think that this assumption is likely correct. Going beyond just THIS case (because you don't get the full scope unless you go beyond a single case), bank robbers have done this before. With illegal weapons. Do you think this guy cared whether or not what he was carrying was illegal or not?

To STOP him, what do you think would be a good thing to do? Run away crying? Or maybe shooting HIM. You think maybe that would be a good idea? You are not going to be there when this happened, because you cannot go back in time, but to prevent yourself from being shot later (parks seem to be a good place for getting shot by psychos), carrying a gun would probably be a good idea.

Now, I seriously doubt any of you are going to care, since you'd rather insult someone than actually talk about things that MATTER, or things that people MIGHT disagree with you on.


I live in a country with gun control. I'm not likely to be dragged out of a car by mad gunman because after the Dunblane massacre - at which time guns were legal including those owned by the culprit- there was a gun amnesty in Scotland and for all intents and purposes I am not a member of glasgow drug gang.

Not to mention the fact that if the number of guns increase the number of innocent bystanders increase as does the level of gun crime. Deductive logic.

In a society where everyone owns a gun and it's considered legal and a 'kill or be killed' attitude arises a lot of people are going to be shot accidentally by terrified trigger happy people.

Deductive logic.

Also, what is your problem with parks? I live right beside one and I have never been shot by a psycho.

Don't get ouside much do we?


I live in a state with some of the most liberal gun laws in the US. It's hard to find someone here who doesn't own at least three guns. We've got lower crime than every state with restrictive gun laws, like Illinois and California. Chicago, Detroit, and D.C., all cities with highly restrictive gun laws (D.C. makes pretty much EVERY gun illegal) have the highest murder rates in the nation. People who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun in the US are statistically five times less likely to commit a crime than ordinary people.

How do you account for the INCREASE in violent crime, including SHOOTINGS, after a general ban of guns in the UK? Followed by subsequent bans or 'amnesties' on knives, swords, BB guns, etc. that also did diddly-squat to decrease crime?

Criminals are more afraid of being shot by their intended victim than they are of going to jail. Simple fact. If some student or professor at Virginia Tech had a gun, there would have been far fewer deaths. You can't prevent a criminal or psycho from being violent, but you can sure stop him in the act. And unlike the guys who get released from prison, arrested, released, arrested, released over and over for years on end before they finally OD on crack or get knocked off by a rival gangbanger, a criminal who gets shot in the act has very little chance of going on to murder more innocent bystanders.

_________________
Insane_Megalamaniac
Chancellor of Initiations
Image
Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:44 pm 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:43 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
Blue Sun Missile wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
OK, let me make it simple for you:

Guy dragged a woman out of her car with a gun. It's a fair assumption that he planned on using that gun if things went wrong (and, even more likely, to kill the woman he was dragging out of said car). Since this is what actually happened, I don't think that this assumption is likely correct. Going beyond just THIS case (because you don't get the full scope unless you go beyond a single case), bank robbers have done this before. With illegal weapons. Do you think this guy cared whether or not what he was carrying was illegal or not?

To STOP him, what do you think would be a good thing to do? Run away crying? Or maybe shooting HIM. You think maybe that would be a good idea? You are not going to be there when this happened, because you cannot go back in time, but to prevent yourself from being shot later (parks seem to be a good place for getting shot by psychos), carrying a gun would probably be a good idea.

Now, I seriously doubt any of you are going to care, since you'd rather insult someone than actually talk about things that MATTER, or things that people MIGHT disagree with you on.


your point: if everyone had a gun, they could have shot the guy trying to pull the woman from the cab

The rest of the worlds point: if everyone has a gun, people would get shot over the stupidest reasons, such as jumping in the cab before you while you had your hand on the door handle. There are enouhg stupid people to do such a thing, as they do stupid shit like this ALREADY This is the same bullshit the Brady Bunch spouted when Florida legalized concealed carry of handguns and made it law that you have no obligation to run away before defending yourself. People would be shot in traffic intersections, co-workers would be gunned down when somebody has a bad day at work, yadda yadda yadda. Guess what? None of it happened. Crime went DOWN and has STAYED down. Ditto for every other state that legalized concealed carry for the general public (as opposed to states like California where concealed carry is only for politicians and business executives). Your point and reality do not coincide.

Having everyone own a gun would not even fit into Darwins law, because the stupid people can shoot all the smart ones becuase they wont stop to think about the consequences of their actions befroe they act. I live in Texas. I have yet to see anybody get shot in anger, through stupidity, or on accident.

Blue Sun Missile
would not want stupid people to have guns, hence he never visits texas And yet we have NASA, Texas Instruments, and the single largest collection of medical research facilities in the world. Yeah, stupid.




madadric wrote:
The idea of trigger-happy criminals shooting up a bank is bad enough, you want to add trigger-happy civilians in there as well? Again, people licensed to carry a concealed handgun are five times less likely to commit a crime than ordinary citizens. This would include shooting up the place. They receive training, are required to practice their marksmanship more than most police departments, and licensed by the government to carry a weapon in public. Do you honestly think these are twitchy, trigger-happy lunatics about to go on a shooting spree if you sneeze, or are you just being a dick?

Is it still counted as a massacre if the poeple who did it were just trying to shoot at each other, but got everyone else instead? Again, concealed handgun carriers get better training than most cops. A lot of them have better, more accurate guns too. Over two million crimes are prevented each year in the US because the would-be victim pulled a gun. In less than 15% of those incidents is the gun fired, and in only 40% of THOSE result in a fatality or serious injury. They're mostly warning shots fired into the ground. Extremely few people are accidentally shot in self-defense shootings.

I'm quite happy to leave shooting at and capturing criminals up to the <b>trained proffessionals</b> whose job it is to do so. You have a cop in every building and on every street corner in your town? You have a professional bodyguard who follows you everywhere and secures your home every night? Wow, now if only the rest of the fucking planet could get such wonderful, professional security. WHOO WHOO! Here comes the clue train, last stop is you. I live less than three miles from the nearest police station and it still takes them forty-five minutes to respond to an emergency call in my neighborhood. The one time I had to depend on the cops for my life, I CIRCLED THE FUCKING POLICE STATION and it took them nearly an hour to show up and stop two drunken shitbags from trying to kill me. Big cities have even more crime, especially ones with restrictive gun control (thus freeing criminals from the worry of their victims fighting back). You think those cops are going to magically show up like Superman when your life is threatened? This is even assuming you can call the cops in the first place. What happens when some guy breaks in your house, grabs a knife from your kitchen, and comes after you? You gonna try to dial 911, give your address, and carefully explain the situation to the operator after being caught by surprise by a knife-wielding homicidal maniac? What if he cut the phone lines first? Just use your cell phone? Assuming you always keep it charged, you remembered to pay your bill on time, and you're in range of a repeater, that's a viable option if you have time to dial, talk to the operator, and wait for a squad car to leave the donut shop and show up to your location. When somebody decides to do serious harm to you, 99% of the time you're on your own. Grow up and start acting like it. If i wanted to get shot at and killed or shoot at and kill people i'd join the fucking army. And yet thousands of people get murdered daily without joining the fucking army. Yeah, brilliant analogy there, dipstick. You never know when something is going to happen to you. If you knew you were going to get mugged tomorow, then you'd just stay home, wouldn't you. Do you think having a fire extinguisher makes you a fucking retard because your house has never caught on fire before? Is car insurance for insecure crybabies or dumbasses who can't drive? Is a first aid kit only for morons who constantly get themselves hurt? A gun is a tool. It's the single most effective implement for preventing you from being maimed, raped, robbed, or murdered and it saves far more lives each year than it is used to take. Pull the stuck out of your ass and get a fucking clue.

_________________
Insane_Megalamaniac
Chancellor of Initiations
Image
Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:54 pm 
Offline
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3342
Location: ich bin ein Auslander
Insane_Megalomaniac wrote:
Blue Sun Missile wrote:

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
OK, let me make it simple for you:

Guy dragged a woman out of her car with a gun. It's a fair assumption that he planned on using that gun if things went wrong (and, even more likely, to kill the woman he was dragging out of said car). Since this is what actually happened, I don't think that this assumption is likely
correct. Going beyond just THIS case (because you don't get the full scope unless you go beyond a single case), bank robbers have done this before. With illegal weapons. Do you think this guy cared whether or not what he was carrying was illegal or not?

To STOP him, what do you think would be a good thing to do? Run away crying? Or maybe shooting HIM. You think maybe that would be a good idea? You are not going to be there when this happened, because you cannot go back in time, but to prevent yourself from being shot later (parks seem to be a good place for getting shot by psychos), carrying a gun would probably be a good idea.

Now, I seriously doubt any of you are going to care, since you'd rather insult someone than actually talk about things that MATTER, or things that people MIGHT disagree with you on.


your point: if everyone had a gun, they could have shot the guy trying to pull the woman from the cab

The rest of the worlds point: if everyone has a gun, people would get shot over the stupidest reasons, such as jumping in the cab before you while you had your hand on the door handle. There are enouhg stupid people to do such a thing, as they do stupid shit like this ALREADY
This is the same bullshit the Brady Bunch spouted when Florida legalized concealed carry of handguns and made it law that you have no obligation to run away before defending yourself. People would be shot in traffic intersections, co-workers would be gunned down when somebody has a bad day at work, yadda yadda yadda. Guess what? None of it happened. Crime went DOWN and has STAYED down. Ditto for every other state that legalized concealed carry for the general public (as opposed to states like California where concealed carry is only for politicians and business executives). Your point and reality do not coincide.
Blue Sun Missile wrote:
Having everyone own a gun would not even fit into Darwins law, because the stupid people can shoot all the smart ones becuase they wont stop to think about the consequences of their actions befroe they act.
I live in Texas. I have yet to see anybody get shot in anger, through stupidity, or on accident.
Blue Sun Missile wrote:
Blue Sun Missile
would not want stupid people to have guns, hence he never visits texas
And yet we have NASA, Texas Instruments, and the single largest collection of medical research facilities in the world. Yeah, stupid.



madadric wrote:
The idea of trigger-happy criminals shooting up a bank is bad enough, you want to add trigger-happy civilians in there as well?
Again, people licensed to carry a concealed handgun are five times less likely to commit a crime than ordinary citizens. This would include shooting up the place. They receive training, are required to practice their marksmanship more than most police departments, and licensed by the government to carry a weapon in public. Do you honestly think these are twitchy, trigger-happy lunatics about to go on a shooting spree if you sneeze, or are you just being a dick?
madadric wrote:
Is it still counted as a massacre if the poeple who did it were just trying to shoot at each other, but got everyone else instead?
Again, concealed handgun carriers get better training than most cops. A lot of them have better, more accurate guns too. Over two million crimes are prevented each year in the US because the would-be victim pulled a gun. In less than 15% of those incidents is the gun fired, and in only 40% of THOSE result in a fatality or serious injury. They're mostly warning shots fired into the ground. Extremely few people are accidentally shot in self-defense shootings.
madadric wrote:
I'm quite happy to leave shooting at and capturing criminals up to the <b>trained proffessionals</b> whose job it is to do so.
You have a cop in every building and on every street corner in your town? You have a professional bodyguard who follows you everywhere and secures your home every night? Wow, now if only the rest of the fucking planet could get such wonderful, professional security. WHOO WHOO! Here comes the clue train, last stop is you. I live less than three miles from the nearest police station and it still takes them forty-five minutes to respond to an emergency call in my neighborhood. The one time I had to depend on the cops for my life, I CIRCLED THE FUCKING POLICE STATION and it took them nearly an hour to show up and stop two drunken shitbags from trying to kill me. Big cities have even more crime, especially ones with restrictive gun control (thus freeing criminals from the worry of their victims fighting back). You think those cops are going to magically show up like Superman when your life is threatened? This is even assuming you can call the cops in the first place. What happens when some guy breaks in your house, grabs a knife from your kitchen, and comes after you? You gonna try to dial 911, give your address, and carefully explain the situation to the operator after being caught by surprise by a knife-wielding homicidal maniac? What if he cut the phone lines first? Just use your cell phone? Assuming you always keep it charged, you remembered to pay your bill on time, and you're in range of a repeater, that's a viable option if you have time to dial, talk to the operator, and wait for a squad car to leave the donut shop and show up to your location. When somebody decides to do serious harm to you, 99% of the time you're on your own. Grow up and start acting like it. If i wanted to get shot at and killed or shoot at and kill people i'd join the fucking army. And yet thousands of people get murdered daily without joining the fucking army. Yeah, brilliant analogy there, dipstick. You never know when something is going to happen to you. If you knew you were going to get mugged tomorow, then you'd just stay home, wouldn't you. Do you think having a fire extinguisher makes you a fucking retard because your house has never caught on fire before? Is car insurance for insecure crybabies or dumbasses who can't drive? Is a first aid kit only for morons who constantly get themselves hurt? A gun is a tool. It's the single most effective implement for preventing you from being maimed, raped, robbed, or murdered and it saves far more lives each year than it is used to take. Pull the stuck out of your ass and get a fucking clue.


EDIT: ok, PHPBB formatting and ad-hoc attacks by me aside, i understand your reasoning, but because of my lack of exposure to this apparently all-pervading criminla element that allegedly lurks behind every street corner possibly wanting to causing me harm, i just don't feel the need to protect myself from a threat that is, to me, imaginary.

"May your house be safe from tigers" indeed.

EDIT EDIT: Additionally, and this is admittedly a small point, you don't even need a SIM card in your phone to dial 000 or whatever your local emegency number is, so credit isn't really a concern.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:40 pm 
Offline
PostWhorePornStar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 10544
Location: Bris-Vegas Australia
Why doesn't anyone ever argue against my economic analysis of Gun Control? I spent minutes working on that, MINUTES!

WHY!?

Actor.

_________________
"Why can't we go back to living like cavemen? I know it was a rough and ready existence - the men where always rough and the women were always ready! " - Santa.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:34 am 
Offline
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3342
Location: ich bin ein Auslander
no real point or assumption to make with these figures, hell, i'm not even going to vouch for their accuracy. but i'll throw them up anyways.

NATIONS - MURDERS PER CAPITA
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... per-capita

#1 Colombia: 0.617847 per 1,000 people
#24 United States: 0.042802 per 1,000 people
#43 Australia: 0.0150324 per 1,000 people
#46 United Kingdom: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

(AMERICAN?) STATES: MURDERS PER CAPITA.
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_vi ... per-capita

#1 District of Columbia: 1.379 per 100 people
#5 Tennessee: 0.688 per 100 people
#8 Alaska: 0.627 per 100 people
#13 Texas: 0.532 per 100 people (these were mostly done by I_M in three days.)


the in-depth information is pretty interesting too.

USA.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us- ... /cri-crime

Murders (per capita) 0.042802 per 1,000 people [24th of 62]
Murders with firearms (per capita) 0.0279271 per 1,000 people [8th of 32]
Rapes (per capita) 0.301318 per 1,000 people [9th of 65]

murders with firearms is pretty high. 8th on the list there.

AUSTRALIA
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/as- ... /cri-crime

Murders (per capita) 0.0150324 per 1,000 people [43rd of 62]
Murders with firearms (per capita) 0.00293678 per 1,000 people [27th of 32]
Rapes (per capita) 0.777999 per 1,000 people [3rd of 65] (all actor in a 4 day binge)

I'm less likely to get shot, but it's more likely that *someone* will get raped. we knows how to treats our wimminz in Ausland.

BRITLAND.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/uk- ... /cri-crime
Murders (per capita) 0.0140633 per 1,000 people [46th of 62]
Murders with firearms (per capita) 0.00102579 per 1,000 people [32nd of 32]
Rapes (per capita) 0.142172 per 1,000 people [13th of 65] (Actually, i flew over and did all of these. Everybody knows that no UK citizen has ever had an erection. ever.)

I think the only thing we can only deduce from this study is that the poms are all limp-dicks, closely follwed by America, who are obviously too fat to even catch the cow-sized women they breed over there.

AUSTRALIA: KING OF THE RAPE HILL. in the civilised world, at least. i didn't look at the irish statistics.

(i used per capita since that more percentage based, which seems a more accurate way of deducing how violent a population is, and not just how big.)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:10 am 
Offline
Addict

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 1654
Location: UrAnus
Insane_Megalomaniac wrote:

I live in a state with some of the most liberal gun laws in the US. It's hard to find someone here who doesn't own at least three guns. We've got lower crime than every state with restrictive gun laws, like Illinois and California. Chicago, Detroit, and D.C., all cities with highly restrictive gun laws (D.C. makes pretty much EVERY gun illegal) have the highest murder rates in the nation. People who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun in the US are statistically five times less likely to commit a crime than ordinary people.


now compare population densities of these places to texas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:51 am 
Offline
Expatriate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:09 pm
Posts: 110
DISCLAIMER: The views and beliefs expressed in this post have nothing to do anything posted by 'PsionicsNOTmagic'. I stopped reading his posts back when he started blathering about a 'war on crime', and I do not wish to be associated with his arguments simply because we are both in favor of private gun ownership.

Back when Virginia Tech happened, a lot of people noted that you never hear about any massacres (in the US, specifically) in places where other people are likely to be armed, they only happen in places where the shooter knows that there's a very low chance of encountering another armed person- schools, mostly. I'm not stating this to be a fact, I'm just asking- can anyone dig up any fairly recent examples of large numbers of people getting blown away in the midst of well-armed bystanders? I can't think of any.

Regarding Actor's argument: I really don't think some guy who's going out to commit illegal activities, with the intent of inflicting seriously illegal bodily harm on people if he needs to to complete his illegal activities, is really going to care about the legal risks of carrying and using a gun. As to the availability of guns, global production would indeed drop, but how much is another matter. Clandestine production in the newly ban-stricken nation may not be as much of a problem as it seems- sure, it's difficult to produce reliable guns this way, but most of the guns used by the common hood today are hardly reliable or high-quality. In any case, if some guy has just broken into my home, standing down the hall from me pointing a piece at me, and all I have is a baseball bat- it doesn't really matter to me whether he has a well-made legally manufactured weapon, or some jury-rigged junk that costs a ton on the black market, I'm still gonna get shot.
Also consider this: suppose you do get rid of guns entirely. There's still going to be violent crime, the police aren't going to be any more effective at crime prevention rather than catching criminals after the fact, but you will see a rise in attacks against the elderly and females. Without guns, people will just use knives and clubs, and these weapons are highly dependent on one's physical capabilities. They don't call guns the 'great equalizers' just 'cause it sounds cool.

On the subject of trigger-happy civilians, there just isn't any evidence to support this view. People carrying guns are, if anything, overconfident in their new security and thus less afraid. This can actually be a problem in and of itself, with people finding out the hard way that just having a firearm does not make you proof against all threats.

Some of you have talked about gun proponents seeing the nefarious human instruments of malice lurking in every shadow, but is it not equally ridiculous to speak of guns as if they have properties similar to the One Ring, always beckoning the owner to use it at the slightest possible excuse, despite the fact that the user's nature is such that s/he would never take such actions if not exposed to the gun's corrupting influence?

_________________
'Remember: no matter where you go, there you are!'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:09 pm 
Offline
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3342
Location: ich bin ein Auslander
Gwyon wrote:
Back when Virginia Tech happened, a lot of people noted that you never hear about any massacres (in the US, specifically) in places where other people are likely to be armed, they only happen in places where the shooter knows that there's a very low chance of encountering another armed person- schools, mostly. I'm not stating this to be a fact, I'm just asking- can anyone dig up any fairly recent examples of large numbers of people getting blown away in the midst of well-armed bystanders? I can't think of any.

An interesting point. In Australia, it's very rare for <i>anyone</i> not a criminal or police officer to be walking around with a gun, and yet, we have very few massacres. When we did have one, <b>one massacre</b> the entire country freaked out and the federal govornment made their ban on automatic rifles and i'm not sure on what else. People going on a killing spree in Australia is just rare. perhaps it's a cultural thing, or perhaps we don't feel uptight because we get all the stress relief we need raping our wimminz.

Gwyon wrote:
Regarding Actor's argument: I really don't think some guy who's going out to commit illegal activities, with the intent of inflicting seriously illegal bodily harm on people if he needs to to complete his illegal activities, is really going to care about the legal risks of carrying and using a gun. As to the availability of guns, global production would indeed drop, but how much is another matter. Clandestine production in the newly ban-stricken nation may not be as much of a problem as it seems- sure, it's difficult to produce reliable guns this way, but most of the guns used by the common hood today are hardly reliable or high-quality. In any case, if some guy has just broken into my home, standing down the hall from me pointing a piece at me, and all I have is a baseball bat- it doesn't really matter to me whether he has a well-made legally manufactured weapon, or some jury-rigged junk that costs a ton on the black market, I'm still gonna get shot.

i agree that prohibition would not work in america. Aussies may all be descended from criminals, but americans seem to take pride in breaking the rules if it's for "Freedom". such a flexible and convenient catchcall.


Gwyon wrote:
Also consider this: suppose you do get rid of guns entirely. There's still going to be violent crime, the police aren't going to be any more effective at crime prevention rather than catching criminals after the fact, but you will see a rise in attacks against the elderly and females. Without guns, people will just use knives and clubs, and these weapons are highly dependent on one's physical capabilities. They don't call guns the 'great equalizers' just 'cause it sounds cool.

that's fine, i am neither a woman nor elderly. If someone's getting beaten or raped, it's less likely to be me. Another thing to consider is that these crimes require that the attacker directly overpowers their vicim(s). It's very hard for a person to commit a school massacre with a knife or even a sword because they could easily be overwhelmed and non-lethally subdued by their intended victims. no guns = 1 victim at a time of crimes that are less likely to result in death as opposed to multiple victims sufferring a more likely result of death. Rape is a terrible crime, regardless of all the tastless jokes i'm taking pleasure in dropping, but very few people have been killed by a penis, as a result of direct trauma.

Gwyon wrote:
On the subject of trigger-happy civilians, there just isn't any evidence to support this view. People carrying guns are, if anything, overconfident in their new security and thus less afraid. This can actually be a problem in and of itself, with people finding out the hard way that just having a firearm does not make you proof against all threats.


a fair enough point.

This again is from an American perspective, though, where you veiw it as your "GOD GIVEN RIGHT" to carry firearms in case your govornment becomes a military dictatorship etc.I consider that a moot point really, since the govornments of this day and age don't really need the military to control the populace when they have more sophisticated and effective tools at their disposal. Subtle use (ot not so subtle) of The Media and an understanding of Game Theory and the populace will be <i>Begging</i> you to take whichever action it was you wanted to do.

a bit off topic by me...

Gwyon wrote:
Some of you have talked about gun proponents seeing the nefarious human instruments of malice lurking in every shadow, but is it not equally ridiculous to speak of guns as if they have properties similar to the One Ring, always beckoning the owner to use it at the slightest possible excuse, despite the fact that the user's nature is such that s/he would never take such actions if not exposed to the gun's corrupting influence?


Your position works off the assumption that everyone is a potential criminal threat you must guard against. My position works off the assumption that people are generally panicky and stupid. Hell, i think it's too easy for stupid people to get liscences to weild 2-tonne death machines, which are certainly bigger killers than guns here in australia at least, but everyone still has a car liscence.

In conclusion: American women are fat; this causes gun crime.

Australian women don't have guns; easier to raep! :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:33 pm 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:36 am
Posts: 1512
madadric wrote:
that's fine, i am neither a woman nor elderly. If someone's getting beaten or raped, it's less likely to be me.


I don't think "they ain't me so fuck 'em" is really a valid model for society.

_________________
I had that dream again
where I was lost
for good in outer space


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:35 am 
Offline
PostWhorePornStar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 10544
Location: Bris-Vegas Australia
Sair wrote:
I don't think "they ain't me so fuck 'em" is really a valid model for society.
Its how pretty much every country was founded and is the basis of realism which is the dominate international political ideology right now.

Actor.

_________________
"Why can't we go back to living like cavemen? I know it was a rough and ready existence - the men where always rough and the women were always ready! " - Santa.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:24 pm 
Offline
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3342
Location: ich bin ein Auslander
Sair wrote:
madadric wrote:
that's fine, i am neither a woman nor elderly. If someone's getting beaten or raped, it's less likely to be me.


I don't think "they ain't me so fuck 'em" is really a valid model for society.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory

Ask Game Theory about that.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:31 pm 
Offline
PostWhorePornStar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:17 pm
Posts: 5981
Location: Around about there.
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/06/27/1962917.htm

Quote:
7yo shoots 8yo dead

Boston police have questioned a seven-year-old boy who shot and killed his eight-year-old cousin with an illegal gun, the latest example of the toll of gun violence in US cities.

The family had told police three armed intruders burst into their home and gunned down LaQuarrie Jefferson, 8, on Sunday night. But after further interviews with family members, the truth emerged on Monday as the boy died in a hospital.

The victim's mother, Lakeisha Gadson, 30, apologised for lying and said the killing was a tragic accident. She had briefly disappeared with the seven-year-old and police launched a city-wide search for the pair.

The boy was the youngest murder victim in Boston since 2002, when a three-year-old was killed in gang gunfire.

Police spokeswoman Sharon Dottin said the seven-year-old and Ms Gadson were interviewed by police after voluntarily coming to police headquarters but declined to say if charges would be pressed. The boy can be charged as a juvenile.

LaQuarrie's father is a convicted killer who had served time for the 1997 stabbing death of a homeless man and is now in prison for a series of 2004 armed robberies.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said the gun was illegal. No-one in the home was licensed to own a firearm.

Like Boston, many US cities are struggling to stem a wave of violent crime and murder. Data released by the FBI this month showed more murders and robberies in 2006 sent US violent crimes higher for a second straight year.

-Reuters

I'm still trying to work out how this could have been resolved better with more guns for everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:20 am 
Offline
Local

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:23 am
Posts: 309
Location: middle
Blue Sun Missile wrote:
themadthinker wrote:
actor_au wrote:
Cue the people who've shot a man in Reno once, just to watch him die.

Actor.


I went to a bakery in Reno, just because I like pie.


I once lived near Reno, and I have no idea why.

Blue Sun Missile
ends in a Y


I once went to Reno, but really, that's a lie.

_________________
Scient
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group