ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:32 pm 
Addict

Ghost wrote:
Do you think a person can justify a killing by the base of their religion, and thus do you believe religion is root of all evil or root of most, or do you believe religion has nothing to do with it and it's just caused by serial killers with delusions of granduer looking for an excuse? I'm not looking for factual basis here, although it would help. Since EC's Saudi, I'd like to hear his opinion on the whole Quran "jihad" thing.

(I think the second opinion is right. Religion itself offers no support for killing.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kitsune1527 on 2002-10-27 14:57 ]</font>

The one main problem that I saw in this thread is the topic title itself: 'Is religion "good" or "bad?"' I don't think religion is necessarily either of those extremes, though people may disagree by their perspectives. Religion is defined as a belief; something that comes with the free will of thought and emotions.

One problem that has been plaguing society for many milenias (sp?) is the concept of absolute truth and purpose. We human beings are very sensitive when it comes to the idea of truth on issues that we want to elude, such as the meaning of life. Is there a ground rule for the meaning of life and your purpose? Science cannot answer that since it is more of a philosophical question. This is where religion comes in and answers it with the whole "God" concept. God is an almighty being that observes your actions with moral and punitive decisions. You could say that God itself is an intangible form of the U.S. government or any government system (but lets not get paranoid.)

Now comes down to your question. To simplify it, you're asking if murder is justified through one's beliefs. Well, let me ask you something: If I came into your house, dragged your crippled grandmother off the Lay-Z-Boy recliner into the kitchen and basted her eyes with Dante's Inferno Hot Sauce until her eyes teared with blood while stabbing her in the back (what an imagination :roll: ) but said it was all because my religion said so, is that valid? You see, religion does not defy murder. Taking the life of an individual given from the God that breathed life into the being means you're playing God, or probably, you are the antithesis of the almighty being. In a religious sense, if any faith had absolute certainty to killing a person then it would be the individual's fault for interpreting such an epiphany.

To conclude my arguement, I find that religion is only a choice of influence and it is the individual's right to embrace the teachings of a religion by his/her own means. Taking a life of another individual for religious purposes does not designate the entire religion wrong because that would be speaking for the crowd of individuals in the same faith whom have different attitudes to murder. Let's not generalize religion as "good" or "bad." Without people, religion would not exist because it relies on human consciousness and thought; without religion, people would grow morbid and pessimistic. It's not the religion thats good or bad, but the people who make the decisions and utilize the religion for their actions that are good and bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:40 pm 
Addict

DavidOfTheEast wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Do you think a person can justify a killing by the base of their religion, and thus do you believe religion is root of all evil or root of most, or do you believe I'm not looking for factual basis here, although it would help. Since EC's Saudi, I'd like to hear his opinion on the whole Quran "jihad" thing.

(I think the second opinion is right. Religion itself offers no support for killing.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kitsune1527 on 2002-10-27 14:57 ]</font>

The one main problem that I saw in this thread is the topic title itself: 'Is religion "good" or "bad?"' I don't think religion is necessarily either of those extremes, though people may disagree by their perspectives. Religion is defined as a belief; something that comes with the free will of thought and emotions.

One problem that has been plaguing society for many milenias (sp?) is the concept of absolute truth and purpose. We human beings are very sensitive when it comes to the idea of truth on issues that we want to elude, such as the meaning of life. Is there a ground rule for the meaning of life and your purpose? Science cannot answer that since it is more of a philosophical question. This is where religion comes in and answers it with the whole "God" concept. God is an almighty being that observes your actions with moral and punitive decisions. You could say that God itself is an intangible form of the U.S. government or any government system (but lets not get paranoid.)

Now comes down to your question. To simplify it, you're asking if murder is justified through one's beliefs. Well, let me ask you something: If I came into your house, dragged your crippled grandmother off the Lay-Z-Boy recliner into the kitchen and basted her eyes with Dante's Inferno Hot Sauce until her eyes teared with blood while stabbing her in the back (what an imagination :roll: ) but said it was all because my religion said so, is that valid? You see, religion does not defy murder. Taking the life of an individual given from the God that breathed life into the being means you're playing God, or probably, you are the antithesis of the almighty being. In a religious sense, if any faith had absolute certainty to killing a person then it would be the individual's fault for interpreting such an epiphany.

To conclude my arguement, I find that religion is only a choice of influence and it is the individual's right to embrace the teachings of a religion by his/her own means. Taking a life of another individual for religious purposes does not designate the entire religion wrong because that would be speaking for the crowd of individuals in the same faith whom have different attitudes to murder. Let's not generalize religion as "good" or "bad." Without people, religion would not exist because it relies on human consciousness and thought; without religion, people would grow morbid and pessimistic. It's not the religion thats good or bad, but the people who make the decisions and utilize the religion for their actions that are good and bad.

Since you quoted my post, I'll just point out that what you said here is basically what I said in my post that I believed--albeit without all the explanation, because I assumed it was unnecessary.

Quote:
"religion has nothing to do with it and it's just caused by serial killers with delusions of granduer looking for an excuse"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:19 pm 
Addict

Quote:
Since you quoted my post, I'll just point out that what you said here is basically what I said in my post that I believed--albeit without all the explanation, because I assumed it was unnecessary.

Sorry for reiterating your idea, but then again I guess we could just say that I agree with you and you agree with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:48 pm 
n00b

Perfect. We all agree so far that the belief itself does not instigate murder or any felonous act. It's all Man's work when interpretating to his convenience such belief.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5