ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:45 am 
Local

But that's irrelevant because growing up in a different environment doesn't change your species. It'd probably take a very long time before "martians" would be unable to reproduce with "humans"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:52 pm 
Native

Well, this discussion has gone way off topic, though it is my fault...

Anyways, I can see that it would take a long time for humans to chance in the case of say, Mars and Earth. But what about some distant planet in another solar system? If the populations on earth and this other planet were isolated enough from eachother then speciation can occur. It would take a while like maybe 500 thousand years to a million years, but if during that time they were isolated enough you may well have 2 different species.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:28 pm 
Local

I actually don't think it'll take that long - if they're really lucky it might even take less than 50,000 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:54 pm 
Native

All 'destroying' an environment can do is change it, so that some other life form will flourish. This life form probably won't be us.

I am fine with this, as humanity pisses me off overall, but most people want to see man live on (for some reason).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:12 pm 
Addict

humanity is no different to any other animal species, if it consumes all of it's resources, it will die off to a point where it can maintain a balance with it's environment

our current exponential growth will slow, stop and reverse until the population is very much smaller than it is today

Straw Dogs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:26 pm 
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum

war makes an excellent population control.

and if you want to oversimplify things, (and i do, it's6:30 in the morning and i need to go to bed) War is a complicated ritual that has evolved from simple territorial struggles between different 'packs' of predators over hunting grounds.

sure, there's more to it, but if one steps back far enough from the whole economic/ecological system, i'm sure on a global-type scale some objective observers would reach a kneejerk conclusion similar to that.

then there'd be the one crazy scientist who keeps yelling at the sensible establishment "no! there's more to these humans than meets they eye! look! they have evolved LESBIANS!"

...yeah, i definitely need to get some sleep, then i need to wake up and get a life...*sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:14 pm 
Native

Birth control is another good population control too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:59 pm 
Addict

So are people like Icy. If more men were like him, there would be no overpopulation, EVER.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:01 pm 
Addict

more peopel died in the influenza outbreak after WW1 than actually in it, the outbreak was a result of general poor sanitation and over crowding of europe by the standing armies and local population etc etc

the more of us there are, the more we manage end up having our numbers naturally culled, a war might kill thousands, hundreds of thousands even millions, but the general day to day life of humanity causes far more death far more efectivly than that

it'll be quiet soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:16 am 
Addict

Heh,actually I think Mankind is too destructive to allow something like nature stop it's expansion.We could become like locusts,we suck up this planet for all it's worth then we jump to the next then the next....

Hell,considering our collective violent,xenophobic psyche chances are that we would be the ones invading some peaceful alien race and wiping them out so we can steal their resources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:28 am 
Addict

Sounds great. Where do I sign up?

P-M

-><-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:46 am 
Addict

I'm in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:17 am 
Native

Count me out, I'd rather go asteroid prospecting or battle space pirates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:36 pm 
Addict

Hey buddy it's either us or them.While we may hope that there are alien races that have learned to coexist with nature and be peaceful,there is a bigger chance that they have come to the conclusion as I have and are racing to claim as much space for themselves as possible.

But if you want to prospect asteroid thats okay.You can go find the best ones to use as ready made nukes to clear landing zones for our invasion troops.Dealing with space pirates could be a good job too.We would need someone that could haggle with them so we can get the best price on the stuff they steal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:25 pm 
Native

Well, as an asteroid prospector, I would have a primary job of locating the most resource rich asterorids for mining operations. I would always make sure I got a good cut though. :grin:

As for the pirates, I don't think I would be haggling with them, I'd just kill 'em all. I would do my privateering in between prospecting, and I would probably return as much of the stolen goods as possible to those who really own it. If I can't locate the owners or they are dead, I will then be willing to sell stuff to you. But it will come at a price. Fighting pirates isn't easy you know.

As for the asteroid-as-nuke idea, I would have to say no. The best rocks for that kind of thing have a high metal content, and even high rare metal content. Since rarer elements are heavier and do more damage they would be ideal ready made nukes. But I could make a bigger profit off it selling it to miners than to you. I get a 5% cut off of every asteroid I get, and considering that the ones I haul are about a mile in diameter and contain billions or even trillions of dollars worth of resourses, I highly doubt that you would have the money to pay me for one of those. However, I bet that the nukes I get off the pirates might be MUCH cheaper, so if I can't find the nukes origional owner I could sell them to you for about 2 million bucks a bomb.

Do we have a deal?

Edit: Corrected a spelling error.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Goldstandard on 2002-11-26 15:28 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:08 pm 
Addict

Uhhh no.I didn't make myself clear.If you were going to take over a planet like earth but wanted to wipeout a large number of it's defenders that had concentrated in one place you can't use a nuclear weapon.Because that would damage the goods for a extended(Natural resources)period.A small asteroid would have to do because it would do a lot of damage and has no radioactive effects.But the rock would have to be the right size and going at the right speed so as to avoid a earth shattering or global devasting effect.

Finally you don't fight pirates.Pirates have always been useful to countries against their foes.Hell,a we could even make up some pirate group.There would be no link back to us and they would continue to cause problems for our alien neighboors till we are ready to launch our invasion.

Using pirates to cause chaos and destablize enemys....I need to write that down.
EDIT:Stupid grammar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Barghest on 2002-11-26 16:13 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:45 pm 
Native

Well, if you engage in piracy, stay out of my neck of the woods when you do it, since I blow any pirate I see to bits. They like to prey on space shipping lanes, often carrying valuable ore, some of which is mine and its theft cuts into my bottom line!

Ok, ill scratch the nukes then. Ill just sell them to the US government.

I do know of some rocks that are composed almost totally of silicates (dirt) so those could be of use. Takes time to haul them though, when I could be hauling more valuable ones to the mining facilities in High Earth orbit...

It will cost you, oh, about 1 million bucks per haul, which is a good deal anyways, since most other prospectors charge 5 million per haul. The secret to my low price is that I have figured out how to take several smaller asteroids and lump them together to form one big ball of dirt. This way I can get the rock made closer to the delivery site and thus make the trip a lot quicker. Can't do it with metal asteroids yet though...

So, what do you say about that? We got a deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:02 pm 
Native

I have an idea, how 'bout we move this discussion to Roleplaying thread and put this thread back on topic again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:50 pm 
Addict

I'm trying to keep it somewhat on topic.You on the other hand are turning it into a RT thread.

Now really back on topic.Mankind turning into locusts isn't actually that far-fetched if you think about it.While extensive research and starting capital would be required, the rewards of a mining station on a moon or special manufacturing plant in space could be amazing.And since our solar system seems so far devoid of any other form of life,enviromentalist couldn't say anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:40 am 
Native

Hey, don't try to pin all the blame on me bro. Pyro, KC, and you also had a hand in taking this thread off topic.

As for your point on space industry...

I agree, mining operations on the moon would be beneficial, but asteroids might be a better deal. Think about it, many are just solid blocks of nickel and iron, and the smaller ones can be towed. An asteroid processing facility in high earth orbit would be cheaper because of the far shorter distance needed to travel. One negative aspect would be that an errant asteroid might accidentally plow right into earth though.

Either way, the technology to do that is a long way off, so we will have to mine here on earth for a while yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Goldstandard on 2002-11-27 00:42 ]</font>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next