ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:29 am 
Local

Yeah, so I'm on a debate team too, and the topic for our league is:
Resolved, that the US federal government should substantially increase public health services for mental illness in the US.
In the actual league, we have to have evidence, which makes sense to a certain degree, but not the evidence for the sake of evidence degree at which it is now. We also have to be able to defend both sides. I'm just interested in what you guys think of unbound by rules.
Our team is running a parity platform, which essentially says, "Mental health care sucks because people aren't getting effective treatment. This is caused by insufficient insurance (mental health insurance is, on average, 40% lower than that of somatic health insurance). The Mental Health Parity Act of 1996 gave some, but not complete, parity, so we need another, more complete bill. It will only cause a raise in insurance premiums of 1%, afterward resulting in a drop in premiums of 33% because people will get treated and need less care. Therefore, we resolve to pass legislation forcing insurance companies to give equal benefits to those with mental health illnesses. The problem with all this is that there's already a bill going through the Senate on this topic, which sorta kills it right there (plans must be original, obviously), but we didn't get it from there! Honest! We thought of it ourselves!
So anyway. Anyone have any opinions?

-Voltaire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:03 pm 
Expatriate

I like how you typed everything all together...sorta gives the feeling of listening to a policy speech. So, I'll give it a shot in the good old policy way:

[parody]
1. "In" the US means throughout it, so if you don't provide increased mental health care for every single citizen your case is untopical. This is abuse, since we obviously can't prepare for such a radical position, and you should lose because of this.

2. Raddi Kal of the "Written to Be Used in Debate Tournaments Times" says "increasing mental health care leads to a fear of mental instability. Fear causes war, and in our modern world wars will be nuclear." Nuclear war destroys the planet, so the aff. can't claim any advantage that outweighs.
[/parody]

Sound familiar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:47 am 
Native

Quote:
On 2002-12-10 01:29, Mystical, Magical Low Quality Buckler wrote:
Yeah, so I'm on a debate team too, and the topic for our league is:
Resolved, that the US federal government should substantially increase public health services for mental illness in the US.

Sorry, can't help you, since I disagree with your chosen debating subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:15 am 
Tourist

The nuclear war disad. Time tested, probably the most popular blanket disad. I lost against that once, on a technicality, because I didn't address it until my second affirmative rebuttal, even though the judge said that my first affirmative rebuttal should have had more time alotted.

He didn't even have a link. *sniff*

I don't know if I can offer any advice... just be careful if your debate occurs the day after Congress passes that bill, if it does pass. It would certainly suck if it coincided with enough of your plan and the neg argues that there is no Harm.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UncleFilthy on 2003-01-01 00:31 ]</font>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]