ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:36 pm 
Tourist

Ok so I'm not really in distress, confused and feeling more than a little dumb. Because I can not get my avatar to work. And I don't know why. Any advice from those of you who have successfully gotten one would be appreciated. If you don't have one I'm going to ignore what you say. After that we can all forget this thread exists.

"Who is John Galt?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:48 pm 
Native

Just a bit of non-avatar related advice: there are other forums more suited to these kinds of threads. This one is only for debates, hence the name "Debate Club."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:47 pm 
Tourist

Of course you are absolutely correct. However, this is the only forum I have so far appeared in, and the only one which I have any desire to appear in, because its the only one where anything interesting happens. So therefore these are the people I should ask for advice. So, I did. Sure its a debate forum, but anything can be a debate, as I'm proving right now by debating this issue with you, so therefore I didn't actually break the rules thanks to you. And thank you. You have just provided me with a debate for my thread (and believe me I was really desperate) and justified its humble existence on this exalted board.

Ok, have a groveled enough? Can someone pleeeeeeease tell me how to make my avatar work now? I'm begging.

"Who is John Galt?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:34 pm 
Addict

You have to ship Poe some mail-order Asian love brides, just like the rest of us did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:41 pm 
Native

First, check the <a href="">faq entry</a>... There's a 32K limit on uploads, and since the avatar system's an ugly hack, there's no feedback if it's too big. Further, some programs upload broken files, this may be the problem. If that doesn't sort it out, mail me the file so I can see what's up with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:22 pm 
Native

Ah, hello...

*Goes back and rereads post.*

Mehve. I couldn't help but notice your Signature. Hmm... So you have read Atlas Shrugged, haven't you? Are you an Objectivist?

Just so you know, we give initiations to newcomers like yourself. I have something special planned for you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:00 pm 
Tourist

Thank you Kyhm. I probobly should have just made it a private message to you, but I didn't think about it until it was too late. Sorry.

As for you Gold, yes I have read Atlas Shrugged, no I am not an objectivist but simply admire Ayn Rand's work as the genius it is, and in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not all that new. I've been here for over a month. I just prefer to only post when I have somthing to say, preferably somthing that hasn't been repeated thirty gazillion times already. However, go ahead and initiate me if it'll amuse you. I don't mind. It might even be fun! :smile:

"Who is John Galt?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:02 pm 
Native

I see. I'll try to think of some interesting way to initiate you while I am at work. I am thinking of a fast food themed initiation for you...

But if I can't think of a good way to do it, I'll just DNI you. :-B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:37 pm 
Addict

Well, at least she's not an objectivist...

...welcome to the boards, I didn't see you there.

-Kills Commies
And when he gets to heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell
'One more soldier reporting sir
I've served my time in hell'

(yeah, too much MO:FL, I know)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:42 pm 
Addict

Quote:
On 2003-01-18 13:02, The Goldstandard wrote:
I see. I'll try to think of some interesting way to initiate you while I am at work. I am thinking of a fast food themed initiation for you...

But if I can't think of a good way to do it, I'll just DNI you. :-B

Speaking of fast food, your avatar looks like a plate of waffle fries.

P-M

-><-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:49 pm 
Tourist

Um, this may be a rather silly question, but what the hell does DNI stand for?

"Who is John Galt?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:52 pm 
Tourist

Whoops, shoulda put this all in one. Oh well.

Why, may I ask, would being an objectivist be a bad thing KC? The way you said "at least she's not an objectivist" indicates that somthing must be wrong with the philosophy. I'm curious as to why you think so.

"Who is John Galt?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mehve on 2003-01-19 17:53 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:55 pm 
Addict

I don't agree with any philsophy that essensially labels morality, compassion, etc as tools the weak use to drag down the strong.

Since I am a moral person, raised to or not, I cannot agree with this. This is also why Gold will get a nice kick in the balls if I ever see him in person.

-Kills Commies
Goddamn motherfucking objectivists...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:03 pm 
Addict

It's been years since I read any Ayn Rand, but I seem to remember part of the Objectivist philosophy being that charity, compassion, etc. is essentially a personal choice; that is, you have the option of being charitable or compassionate, but others do not have the right to expect it of you. It's that expectation that I remember her branding as evil, not compassion as a concept.

Then again, I also remember Rand writing something about rape being good, so I don't expect the moral aspects of Objectivism to be particularly consistent or logical...

EDIT: By the way, Mehve, there's an "edit" button under your post that you can use to add things you missed. It's good form to do so, rather than writing a new post.

P-M

-><-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pyromancer on 2003-01-19 18:05 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:27 pm 
Tourist

Yes Pyro, I know, and I use it, to edit my posts, not to add that much to it. And if I remember correctly it's not that Ayn Rand viewed rape as good so much as she thought that most women wanted it that way or some such nonsense. At least thats how I interpreted it.

"Who is John Galt?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:04 pm 
Native

I don't want to turn this into a debate, but you are wrong when you say that objectivism considers morality to be a tool the "weak" uses to drag down the "strong." What we do take issue against is the type of morality that is impossible to fully implement in practice, which ultimately results in a feeling of perpetual guilt, harming both the weak and the strong alike.

Those who preach a morality which is impossible to practice know that their victims will feel guilty all the time, and it is far easier to control people who feel guilty than those who don't. Morality like that drags down everyone, not just the "strong."

(I don't know what exactly you mean by "weak" and "strong". I have always thought that everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, but that you can't have a society of all chiefs and no indians. Just because someone is a secretary or a machinist doesn't exactly make him or her "weak" in my opinion.)

As for DNI, that means Do Not Initiate. We give it to people who we feel are cool enough not to be initiated, and learn quickly enough that they do not ask stupid questions like "what does DNI mean?"

So, you will not get a DNI. What you will get are 2nd degree burns and scars which will last you the rest of your life.

Mehve pulls up to an inconspicuous Taco Bell at 11:00 PM., going through drive through. She arrives at the microphone and orders a number 9 combo with a Nachos Supreme and a medium Pepsi. Soon Mehve is at the second drive thru window and Goldstandard leans out and greets Mehve.

"Hi, that will be $5.05."

As Mehve holds out her hand to hand Goldstandard the money, he grabs her arm and pulls her out of her seat into the Taco Bell. Goldstandard then throws her to the ground, pinning her head to the hard tile floor with his foot.

"Ow!" said Mehve. "That hurt!"

"It will get much worse very soon!" Gold replied.

"Eww... This floor is so dirty!"

"I am a closer here, and my job is to clean the floors after we close. I get to work with all sorts of wonderful, industrial strength chemicals, which I will demonstrate, on YOU!"

"NO!!!"

"The particular chemical I will use will be the sanitizer powder, though we don't use it to clean the floors, we use it to clean the dishes and tables. Though you may not know it, sanitizer is really just like bleach, so we always use it in a highly diluted form. One day, I accidentally got a few grains of the stuff on my hands, and when I washed my hands I felt a mild burning sensation and cracks formed in my skin. Very neat stuff."

Mehve wimpered in terror as Gold continued to talk about the chemistry of fast food restaurants.

"Hey Chris, will you get me a pitcher of the Bunn water?"

"Sure, where do you want it?"

"On her."

"Ok!"

"Just so you know Mehve, our Bunn water is kept at a warm temperature of over 190 degrees farenheit. We use it in the preparation of our beans and sauses. We also use it to melt grease off the floors by the fryer, and to clean out the soda machine nozzles."

With that, Chris poured the pitcher of water on Mehve's back, causing her to howl in agony.

"Hey Chris, could you go get me the sanitizer packets now?"

"How many do you need?"

"Hmm... 'bout 20."

Soon, Chris is back with the packets, and immediately Gold and Chris begin opening the packets and pour them on Mehves now wet, red back.

"AAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Mehve screamed and began thrashing around violently, before going limp. Gold got another pitcher of water and poured it on, causing even more damage. He repeated the process until all the sanitizer was washed away, along with most of Mehves skin. Blood began to pour from her back, dirtying the floor.

"Aw crap! It will take even longer now to clean the floor tonight!" said Gold.

Gold immediately snaps his fingers, restoring Mehve to normal, as well as restoring the floor back to normal.

"Ok Mehve, you have been initiated. This forum is unique in that we like to welcome our newest members with torture. Go figure. Anyways, when you get home, put "Initiated by The Goldstandard" in your sig, so everyone knows and doesn't do it twice."

Gold throws Mehve out the window, back into her car. He then hands her her change and food.

"Thank you very much. Please come again sometime." said Gold, smiling.

Mehve shuddered, and quickly put the peddal all the way down and drove off. Soon, another car, with an angry customer, pulled up to the window.

"WHAT THE FUCK TOOK SO LONG! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR OVER 30 MINUTES, I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER!"

"Oh hell," said Gold. "I forgot about that..."

"Wait a minute!" Gold snapped his fingers, and all the angry customers were gone.

"Guess that skill comes in handy not just for initiations!" :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:33 pm 
Tourist

::applauds:: Bravo, Gold. That was one of the most bloody boring initiations I've ever encountered. I'm thoroughly impressed. Oh and why would I put "Initiated by Goldstandard" in my signature? I WANT to be initiated. Its interesting!! Usually.

Also, objectivist morality is not impossible to attain. In fact it is one of the easiest moralities to follow, I think, because it involves minding your own business and looking out for yourself, instead of trying to mind everyone except yourself.

"Who is John Galt?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:19 pm 
Addict

....objectivism is a perfect philosophy for assholes to follow.
If you go by that philosophy then everything can be rationalized no matter what it is...

"No one says a novel has to be one thing. It can be anything it wants to be, a vaudeville show, the six o'clock news, the mumblings of wild men saddled by demons." -Ishmael Reed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:10 pm 
Tourist

Actually no, a great many things can't be rationalized using objectivism, especially stupidity. However if you think that then you've obviously never really studied objectivism, or even done any preliminary research into the matter.

"Who is John Galt?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]