ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:04 pm 
Addict

If you wanted to keep something in your car for bear, keep a shotgun loaded with slugs.

Now the die must fall,
There ain't a winner in this game
Who don't go home with all, Not with all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:07 pm 
Local

While slimey, I don't think a bear would mind slugs much. Snails would be much better, because the shell might get stuck in their throat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:30 pm 
Addict

Location: In the ether, Hand of DM poised for enervation at will
I personally wanna bring back the old 1920's gangster days, with the tommyguns and stuff. :-D So I could get a car, and have a tommygun, and listen to classical or jazz music while driving. Of course I wouldnt' shoot anyone per se. Maybe I could find a tommygun with paintballs in it, hehehe ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:53 pm 
n00b

Are you talking about driving around in a 1920's car, because I'm pretty sure those didn't have radios. Listening to Classical or Jazz would be kind of hard then.

hm...back to guns: At least the 1911 was around in the '20's. Best handgun ever.

If this is the best of all possible worlds, then why do we chafe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:22 am 
Addict

lets just say "pah, Americans and their .45s" and leave it at that eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:31 am 
Local

There's nothing wrong with a .45. I've fired one, the kick isn't really nearly as bad as you would think. I got worse kick firing my brother-in-law's 9mm glock sub-compact than Clay's 1911-style Colt .45. Granted, his Sig 9mm full-sized pistol had less kick, because it has more mass to obsorb it, but still! The difference between the kick on the 9mm and the .45 wasn't much at all.

And all things considered, I think .45s have more stopping power than a 9mm, so I'd rather have on of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:48 am 
Addict

the .45 is a hangover to the Wild West, the 9mm is <I>the</I> modern all round bullet.

discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:58 pm 
Addict

Mwehehehe. . . I just got to see my dad's new Springfield 1911 just a few minutes ago. Damn, that's a sexy weapon. Haven't gotten to fire it yet, but all in due time. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:20 am 
Local

okay, i'm sorry to bring this topic back up, but damnit, when it came out, I didn't have internet. I'm somewhat of a World War II fanatic, so I might be a little biased.I'm also a gun lover/owner, and major red neck.So anyway, on to the guns.

Greatest pistol ever made? Colt 1911 .45, of course. I've personally fired about 15 different weapons, 4 of them pistols, and I much prefer the .45. 9mm fails to impress me. I've owned a Colt for a few years.
While I can see the whole 'boucing around inside the body' thing, it just doesn't have that 'knock some one off thier feet' stopping power of a .45. And while I believe that the shooter is more important than the gun, I'd still take the Colt. I'm sick of everyone complaining about the weight. Just do what they taught shooters: Come down on the target, not up. You'll hit every time. Actually, soldiers are still aloud to carry a .45 as a side arm, provided they, uh, provide it themselves.

Rifles? That's a big category. Bolt action would have to be the Karabiner 98 Mauser. That 8mm (7.92 more specifically) slug has incredible power, and it's a very accurate gun. I bougt a Mauser from Sports Authority (no kidding) for 198 bucks, and I love it. I won't say Springfield 1911, since the 1911 is basically a copy of the K98.

Semi-Auto rifle has to be the M1 Garand. And I don't mean the pansy M1 Carbine, either. I mean the real 30-06 8 round monster. I love that 'ping' the enbloc clip makes when the last shot fires.

Fully-automatic capable guns in a tough one. One on hand, I'm on the "OMGZ TEH AK-47 IS GOD!!1" band wagon, but I like the miniscule kick of the M-16A2. 5.56mm isn't THAT bad, because studies showed that soldiers won't fire beyond what they think is their effective range, so a .30 round isn't really necessary.

My favorite old-timey weapon (That I didn't previously list) is the Thompson (not the tommy gun, there's a difference). I think the MP5 is sexy, and OICW is awesome.

Moodflow.com - the greatest pictures ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:05 am 
Addict

General Gir wrote:
Rifles? That's a big category. Bolt action would have to be the Karabiner 98 Mauser. That 8mm (7.92 more specifically) slug has incredible power, and it's a very accurate gun. I bougt a Mauser from Sports Authority (no kidding) for 198 bucks, and I love it. I won't say Springfield 1911, since the 1911 is basically a copy of the K98.

My favorite old-timey weapon (That I didn't previously list) is the Thompson (not the tommy gun, there's a difference). I think the MP5 is sexy, and OICW is awesome.

Uh, you mean the Springfield 1903, not the 1911, right? Big difference between a bolt-action rifle and a pistol.

Speaking of the pistol, I got to fire one the other day, and it was great. More accurate than the Taurus PT92 I fired beforehand, and I didn't notice any difference in recoil between the 9mm and the .45.

Oh, and I think the OICW is still unproven, but doesn't look promising to me. Too lazy to type out all of my junk again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:44 pm 
Addict

Yay shooting things!

Anyway about the OICW, *CREAM*

It can fire timed high explosive rounds so that you can fire over an entrenched target and have the rounds explode in the air over the target. That thing is just plain frightening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:37 pm 
Addict

gotta go with the majority on this, best handgun, IMO, is the Colt 1911 .45. Reliable, affordable, stopping power, everything.

I'm also a fan of the SigSauer P226, though regretfully, I havn't shot one in a long time.

Now if I could justget my hands on an As12 combat shotgun....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:47 pm 
Local

d'oh, I meant to put " The Springfield 1903 is a copy of the mauser". Oh well. It was 4am.
Speaking of rifles, I got to go out to the base firing range this morning and fire the M-249 SAW. Quite the impressive weapon.
And the OICW will kick ass. 20mm grenade launcher that uses a laser range finder to explode over the target, light weight (when the final version is released), and the 'nade launcher can be removed to make the rest of the gun the smallest, lightest, rifle-caliber fully automatic rifle in the world. Oorah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:58 pm 
Addict

The 30-06 is far superior in performance and long-distance accuracy to the 8mm JS Cartridge. Should be since it was developed 8 years later. There has never been a better all-around rifle cartridge made than the 30-06 Springfield.

Now the die must fall,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:07 pm 
Addict

Mweheheheheheeeee!!!
Just got back from shooting, got to sight in my AK and CETME. Great fun, except the CETME shoots about 6 inches to the left at 100 yards. I also got to shoot this guy's bolt action .300H&H rifle, and daaaamn did it kick more than mine. The CETME had this cool effect wherein a sort of shockwave of air would come out when I fired. Even my little brother, standing 6 feet away to the left could still feel it.

Oh, and both my AK and my CETME jammed once. Nothing major, just the cartridge hit the feed ramp wrong, so it got stuck. Pretty easy to clear, just take out the magazine and put the cartridge back in. Easy, compared to my dad's AR15's doublefeed incidents. Ah well, it was bound to happen anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:15 pm 
Addict

the springs may be too tight on your mag, the M-16-A1s in Vietnam would double load if loaded to the full 20 rounds.

Now the die must fall,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:16 am 
Local

They only put 16 rounds in the M-16A1, so as to avoid stoppages/jams and to not wear out the spring.

This is a little off topic, since it's not man-portable, but has anyone ever been next to a M61A1 20mm gatling gun when it goes off? They have one on the range at base here, and holy shit, I was 10 feet behind it to the left. Those 50 rounds left in about a second, and it felt like the whole earth was shaking.

Speaking of which, I have a cool story if you wanna read it. My step-dad, an instructor in the 363rd, was teaching out at Nellis in a bunker with a GAU8 30mm Avenger gatling gun (The one they use on A-10's). He was demonstrating the rotation of the gun, when a round he forgot to take out at the range went off. Luckily, he was wearing his ear pieces. 2 of his students weren't, and started bleeding from their ears. One is def in the left ear now. They saw a large hole in the side of the bunker when they looked around. Turns out the 30mm round passed through the concrete, flew 2000 yards across base, went into and out of a bathroom, narrowly missing a senior airman, and finally dug itself inside of another concrete wall. That, my friends, is some serious fucking fire power.

/edit: I asked my step-dad about that a little after posting, and he said that the round in question was a simple all-lead round. Had it been a depleted uranium AP round, it would most likely kept going through that concrete wall and punched a hole in a parked F-15E.
Note: Nellis has since moved all weapons training classes a half-mile down, into reinforced bunkers, with the weapons pointing away from all other structures. I'm surprised my step-dad didn't get kicked out for this little incident. He only had to apologize for his mistake and pay about 200 bucks for repairs to the walls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:32 pm 
Addict

Wow... yeah, he's lucky he didn't get kicked out. Lucky he didn't get a Courts Martial for reckless endangerment and not following basic safety precautions, as well as ... well, there's more but I don't feel like lookin up the proper UCMJ code right now. I think I got enough militry education today after talking to both my NCOIC and First Sergeant for about 45 minutes a piece.

But yes, those things do kick much ass. Personally, I just want a 40mm grenade launcher, and I'll be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:49 pm 
Addict

The Cannon in the warthog is well known for allowing stray rounds to be left in the mechanism. I saw more than one of the hogs from Syracuse ( the boys from Syracuse flew hogs till the AF took 'em away for F-16s) put a stray round down the tarmac at our airfeild when they had to land for maint. after a hot run on the gunnery range at Drum. Det 11 of the AF was quartered in the same building my unit was in, so I was in well with the wingnuts. Nasty hole(s) are left by the depleted uranium rounds... Nasty!

edit:
The M-16 had the jamming problems, it was eliminated with the A1 model (only .02% double feed rate per 1000 rounds for the A1).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3