ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:51 am 
Addict

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article ... 108&scid=7

Icy is mostly right. But Gir could be also since few inmates actually remain in prison for 80 years.

The death itself is very very cheap. It is the appeals process that is insanely expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:17 am 
Local

Quote:
If they can kill, they can die

So, the human race should die then?

Wow, what an astute observation, I'm going to make a simple statement.

You, are, wrong.

Why should I die, simply because I have it within my power to kill people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:18 am 
Addict

Cloud, stop being purposely stupid in order to go off on a dumbass tangent. You know what he meant.

-MiB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:21 am 
Local

Fair point, but I was always taught "Say what you mean, and mean what you say"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:31 am 
Addict

Nothing wrong with the death penalty. Hell, I don't even see it as a punishment for someone. I see it as a way of removing yet another piece of shit from my world. They're using up precious oxygen that could be helping out any number of good asthmatic kids.

Post subject: Re: Wait 10 years, now...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:21 pm 
Addict

Wandering Idiot wrote:
Oh, solved that whole nature/nurture debate by ourselves, have we? Do you have a working computer model of the entire human phenotyping process you've been holding out on us about?

Well, I was somewhat exaggerating and overreacting, because I *hate* it when people say that personality is determined by genetics. That kind of thinking leads quite directly to things like eugenics.

Actually, the nature nurture dichotomy really isn't as clear-cut as it's made out to be. (This is of course true of most "opposing" categories.) Society is really created by individuals interacting - or really, individual genetic tendencies bouncing off each other. At the same time, many of the genes in your body aren't actually "turned on" - it's society that determines what genes are turned on and what genes aren't. So it creates a kind of feedback loop - genetics determines society determines genetics.

[quote=revolutio]Izy one point: You say that the death penalty is based on the principle that two wrongs make a right. It is your own personal belief that death is always "wrong," since last I checked right and wrong were not well defined, however many people believe it to be an acceptable option or "right."[/quote]

"Two wrongs make a right" is shorthand for the idea that if you do something that, under normal circumstances, would be considered bad, to someone who has done something bad, then that is good. It's pretty stupid when you get right down to it, and makes morality a total joke. After all, it's easy to be nice to good people - the real challenge is to love your enemies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:13 pm 
Addict

I don't particularly care if someone is mentally disabled or not, of course i am only in favor of the death penalty in the case of murder with special circumstances anyway. Not because of getting back at people, just because some people have to be gotten rid of because they are a major danger to others. If you could make life without parole stick without paroling them anyway which happens all too damned often.

Now the die must fall,
There ain't a winner in this game
Who don't go home with all, Not with all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:19 am 
Local

Speaking of which, I think it's hilarious when they give people MORE than a life sentence. Some guy here in Texas 2 years ago got 3 consecutive life sentences, PLUS 600 years. Why don't they just fry him and get it over with?

Moodflow.com - the greatest pictures ever.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2