ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: I switched to the gender-nsp's because I think we're a bit outside of Yahweh now...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:53 pm 
Native

Wandering Idiot wrote:
I said Ve could could be a bastard, i.e. not omnibenevolent, and as such could have done a shoddy job on purpose. Just for kicks. Which would mean MiB wouldn't respect Ver, but I think God can live with that...

Alright, so would a fair summary of God-as-you-have-postulated-Him-to-be be:

Quote:
Well, He could be an all powerful, ultimately benevolent God, or not. And He might be a nice guy and want followers, or He might not give two cents and screw people over for kicks. And by the way, He's omnipotent, which means He writes both the rules of reality and He scripts the game that is played by those rules, but He might just obey the rules because He wants to.

Alright, all of that is true. I don't have any real argument against the existence of such a being, any more than you have presented an argument for His existence. You have come up with a rather reactive hypothesis on what God might be, but have no evidence to support this hypothesis other than that no one has disproved it yet. Futhermore, you have twisted the definition of "God" (which I understood to be the traditional, Judeo-Christian, omnipotent, ultimately benevolent God that is most often discussed) to such an extent that the conversation is now meaningless. Of course there may be something powerful out there that doesn't care, is spiteful, and maybe even keeps hidden, but if there is, what's the fucking difference?

Post subject: Re: I switched to the gender-nsp's because I think we're a bit outside of Yahweh now...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:24 am 
Addict

Lucis Spei wrote:
Alright, all of that is true. I don't have any real argument against the existence of such a being, any more than you have presented an argument for His existence. You have come up with a rather reactive hypothesis on what God might be, but have no evidence to support this hypothesis other than that no one has disproved it yet. Futhermore, you have twisted the definition of "God" (which I understood to be the traditional, Judeo-Christian, omnipotent, ultimately benevolent God that is most often discussed) to such an extent that the conversation is now meaningless. Of course there may be something powerful out there that doesn't care, is spiteful, and maybe even keeps hidden, but if there is, what's the fucking difference?

All true. You could take this as my roundabout way of making a philosophical statement about the usefulness of specifying the attributes of hypothetical supernatural entities, or just take it as me fucking around while bored at work.
Or, a little from column A, a little from B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:47 pm 
Tourist

Location: I sailed away for a year and a day to the land where teh bong trees grow?!
There is NO god there is to much hurt pain and suffering if this "GOD" loves us so much wants us to prosper wouldnt he do something to end war famin and disease!
and to those who believe i respect you but if there is a GOD he will forgive and unconditionally love us all as we are his children his science project, himself with flaws.

[quote][/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:57 pm 
Addict

Location: You can't take the sky from me. Since I found Serenity.
Please, if you're going to argue, read the thread first.

And someone already is using that avatar. But I haven't seen him around in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:08 pm 
Addict

miho wrote:
There is NO god there is to much hurt pain and suffering if this "GOD" loves us so much wants us to prosper wouldnt he do something to end war famin and disease!
and to those who believe i respect you but if there is a GOD he will forgive and unconditionally love us all as we are his children his science project, himself with flaws.

Ah, but good and evil are human constructions. What if God is ultimately beyond our petty dualities? At any rate, the God I believe in isn't omnibenevolent [/sense](or if ve is, then ve is also omnimalevolent)[sense]*, and I think it's kind of an insult to God to claim that he's in any way bound by our simple little culturally/genetically created psychological drives. But then I'm getting into my beliefs about the origin of morality, which deserves its own thread.

*Would that make him omniambivalent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:26 am 
Tourist

Well, as far as God goes... we're in the dark.

Does God exist? If so, what's he like? What are his preferences? Did he really make everything? Which religion is right? Who is going to heaven? Is there a heaven? What about Hell? Purgatory? Do angels exist too? If they do, then don't demons also exist? The Devil?

There's all these questions, and we're no closer to answering them than we were at Christ's time.

Science is like "Dude, like, we can totally come up with this system that like, tests stuff, and like, if you test it, you can totally figure out if something is real or not."

Well, what's to test with God?

Long story short, we don't know. Nobody knows any of this for themselves. Sure, we can all say "so and so said," or "I read," or even "It says in the Bible," but we don't even know if the people writing the Bible were being accurate, or even truthful.

Even dying is iffy - we know even less about dying. We can only ASSUME that we go to the proper afterlife and meet up with the proper deity once we die.

In summary, we're all waisting a lot of breath debating this.
Nothing more than "Nuh uh! Uh huh!" can possibly come out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:55 pm 
n00b

Juight reccomendation: for a read questioning the Judeo-Christian concept of God, please find Friedrich Nietzsche's "The AntiChrist". May not even answer but it's a lot of fun how a man can get passionate, like us, over the subject of God. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:53 pm 
Addict

Subaru wrote:
Juight reccomendation: for a read questioning the Judeo-Christian concept of God, please find Friedrich Nietzsche's "The AntiChrist". May not even answer but it's a lot of fun how a man can get passionate, like us, over the subject of God. :)

You recommended Nietzsche. You deserve a DNI.

*Subaru is enveloped in a cloud of logic. When the smoke clears, the words "DNI" appear in large red letters on his forehead.*

Just put "DNI'd by Zarathustra" in your signature. That is, if you haven't been DNI'd already, in which case I've made a fool of myself. Eh, I'm used to it by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:14 am 
Addict

A god thread, eh?

Well let me ask you something: Does it say anything about God being liable to do anything in our lives? Find one religion that tells us that God has a commitment to the people of Earth and I give you a cookie.

All the religions say that we are committed to God and it's beliefs. God, however, does not have to make a commitment to us. If he did, our lives would be a lot would they not?

God exists as a faith worshipped by the majority. He exists in ideas and spirit, but not on the physical plane of existance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:26 am 
Expatriate

DavidOfTheEast wrote:
Find one religion that tells us that God has a commitment to the people of Earth and I give you a cookie.

Doctrine and Covenants: 82:10 wrote:
I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.

A word to the wise, try not to make blanket statements around here. They generally prove to be false (yes, I realize the irony in this being a blanket statement.)

Basically, the above scripture means that if you do what God says and wills, he is bound to give you the blessings he has promised. However, if you do not do what he says, he is not obligated. Does this mean that he won't do it? Not necessarily. However, you no longer have the promise that he will.

I want my cookie.

It's the end of the strain, It's the joy in your heart
~Susannah McCorkle - The Waters of March

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11