ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Should homosexuals (among other sexualities) be allowed the same basic human rights and freedoms of straight individuals?
Yes, they're called <i>human</i> rights for a reason 92%  92%  [ 36 ]
No, their form of sexuality is their choice. They must accept the consequences. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm not all too sure about the topic. I have no opinion. Purposefully or otherwise. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
My opinion isn't listed. This is a stupid question. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:06 pm 
Native

Cenwood wrote:
Often the people that are 100% thinking for themselves construct the best moral compass.

In one corner:
Mother Teresa
Martin Luther King Jr.
Jesu Christi (why do I spell it that way? because that's how I learned it, I don't know where that spelling comes from, other than my old Unitarian sect, I suppose it's Latin, or Greek)

In the free thinkers' corner:
Adolph Hitler (sure, he had some pointers, and he wasn't the only racial purest of the time, but damn, he was innovative in application)
Terry Nichols and Timothy McVeigh
These nutters

Language and education are vehicles for learning, which at its deepest is the transfer of ideas between individuals. If you want 100% independant thought among the people, become a mute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:04 am 
Local

Im not saying we shouldnt educate people or draw inspiration or ideas from religious texts. I just dont think we should use one set of ideas or one book as the sole source of all laws and rules. Martin Luther King CLEARLY wasnt completely following the bibles every literal word, or maybe he didnt read the parts that say slavery is ok. Hitler WAS a religious man, anyway, just to split hairs. Even accepting only part of the bible is dangerous, as it raises the question, "Which parts?" Some of the bibles lessons, proverbs, analogies and stories are great, and can be used to further understanding of certain subjects. But basing our laws on religious teachings is a bad idea, even if you dont believe in the seperation of church and state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:54 am 
Native

You're right that Reverend King was not taking all of his work from the Bible, a lot of it he got from Ghandi, or out of his own head. However, it's obvious that he wasn't "100% thinking for himself" he had inspiration and influences. Complete free thought is utter chaos; even something as basic as language could not exist under such a system.

Now, I mentioned that Hitler wasn't "100% thinking for himself," if you took the time to read past the name. However, I'd like to see your arguments about McVeigh and the Hale-Bop nuts, because as far as I can tell, those are two prime examples of radical free thought.

Also, in response to:

Cenwood wrote:
But basing our laws on religious teachings is a bad idea, even if you dont believe in the seperation of church and state.

A thoroughly idiodic view. If one believes that the state should also be a religion, then it follows naturally and logically that a crime should also be a sin (to plagerise Frank Herbert). Jump on me as a churchman and you'll show yourself once again to speak before you think; I've not advocated the integration of church and state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:02 am 
Addict

I have to say I had to take the last choice, because I don't see gays as a group of people, I just see sodomy as a physical act. People try to make those who practice homosexuality a privileged group like a race or something and it isn't. The closest similar dichotomy is between smokers and non smokers. It has nothing to do with what they are in my opinion, it's just what they do.

Assigning the status of some seperate species to a group with a habit in common borders on the absurd.

Now the die must fall,
There ain't a winner in this game
Who don't go home with all, Not with all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:09 am 
Local

Clay, that works for me. But if what you are saying is "They arnt NOT people just because they like buttsex" then surely the "they are people too so human rights extend to them" argument is functional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:11 am 
Tourist

Once again Cenwood faises to READ what people have written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:53 am 
Addict

Cenwood wrote:
Clay, that works for me. But if what you are saying is "They arnt NOT people just because they like buttsex" then surely the "they are people too so human rights extend to them" argument is functional?

Of course they are human too, and it seems silly to me to make practicing homosexual sodomy a crime regardless of moral concerns. To be honest I really, truly can't understand why anyone would want to, but it's none of my damned business.

Just because the argument is functional doesn't mean I can't objext to the premise.

Now the die must fall,
There ain't a winner in this game
Who don't go home with all, Not with all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:08 pm 
Local

Ahh, ok. I get you now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:30 pm 
Addict

Homosexuality, in my eyes, is the best thing since sliced bread. A significant slice of the population willingly stops competing with me for a place in the genepool, aids zero population growth, and may possibly like my ass enough to hope for its continued existence. How could this not be good?

I will do what I can to promote homosexuality wherever I go... largely in my own best intrests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:59 pm 

Labrat wrote:
Homosexuality, in my eyes, is the best thing since sliced bread. A significant slice of the population willingly stops competing with me for a place in the genepool, aids zero population growth, and may possibly like my ass enough to hope for its continued existence. How could this not be good?

I will do what I can to promote homosexuality wherever I go... largely in my own best intrests.

Did anyone else laugh really hard when they looked at the avatar after reading that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:58 am 
Native

I laugh really hard at that avatar anyway; something about TR is funny like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:06 pm 
Addict

Bully.
Got any more KY-Jelly? Howabout Handlotion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:40 pm 
Addict

Clay_Allison wrote:
I have to say I had to take the last choice, because I don't see gays as a group of people, I just see sodomy as a physical act. People try to make those who practice homosexuality a privileged group like a race or something and it isn't. The closest similar dichotomy is between smokers and non smokers. It has nothing to do with what they are in my opinion, it's just what they do.

Assigning the status of some seperate species to a group with a habit in common borders on the absurd.

Actually, this thread was not about promoting homosexual rights. It was about why people feel it neccessary to deny them.

There are extremists on both sides, those who proclaim rights movements for their own "species," so to speak. And that's why you didn't choose the first option?
There is the other side. The homophobics who make it their business to know whether a person is homosexual or not so they know who's "side" that person is on. It seems like those who are homophobic are the ones who discriminate and encourage protesting groups to arise.

It hasn't gone to the level of "affirmitive action" yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:41 pm 
Addict

He just has a funny face. Like he'll bite your nose off if you're not careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:11 am 
Addict

Horay for Love

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4