ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cryogenics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:08 am 
Addict

Reguardless of cost, would you "freeze" yourself, or someone close to you in the hope that you/they can be re-animated and healed?

I'll put my idea in later....i'm just being lazy right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:21 am 
Local

I would, i mean you might not be able to see the person alive again in your liftime but at leaste they would get the chance to live again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:21 am 
Addict

Would I freeze others? If they wanted to be frozen, yes.

Would I freeze myself? No, I've always prefered fire over ice. There are many interesting things that can be done with ashes, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:37 am 
Addict

ah, but would you freeze them if they had not said anything about it(maybe had talked about other plans)?

or, even if they had for that matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:45 am 
Local

Hmmm...myself? Nahh. If Im gonna die, Im gonna die. I dont want to prelong my life, and I would fit in with the future even less then the present. But someone else, hell yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:30 am 
Tourist

Cenwood wrote:
Hmmm...myself? Nahh. If Im gonna die, Im gonna die.
Thank heavens for small mercies...

Anyway, morons aside..

Cryogenics... hmmm. The thawing out is indeed problematic, but hell, I'm sure we will overcome that. Barring a nasty accident or disease I dont se myself NEEDING cryogenics... life-prolonging research is well underway and its my guess that it will bear fruit in about 15 years. Viva quasi-immortality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:13 am 
Addict

anyone who's read Transmetropolitan will have some idea of the drawbacks of cyrogenics/future revival, the one think most people say will be great is the cool stuff going on in the future, then you have to think what a 14th century english pesent would think about being woken up today, his language is all but lost, his money, land and all worldly goods may or may not have survived (ie he could be dirt poor/dependant on the state) any vocational or social position he occupied would have lapsed and he'd have no connection with any member of his family or social/religious group any more

in short he would be a worthless mentally deficent/damaged refugee/streetperson, suffering from acute future/culture shock and 100% isolation/anomie

people let out of prison after a long stretch have enough trouble gettign back into society, never mind after a few hundred years where your contact with eth world is zero, not even a few tv programs and letters

I'd say madness/suicide/crime rates will be pretty high in the future cryogenic revival underclass

but then , i've read TransMet (from the Air Jesus coments in another thread at least one other has too)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:12 am 
Addict

*Lifyre thinks futurama...

No I think I'll pass. I look back 10 years and things are so differenet that culture shock might just kill me if I hadn't had the time to adjust.

However I might considere getting frozen WITH someone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:28 pm 
Tourist

People are getting frozen at a significant enough rate that you wouldn't be alone in your culture shock.

Would I? Yes. I see no problem with the whole "wanting to live" thing. Admittedly, it would make me wonder if it was really me that was living, or just a new, re-animated me. After, all, I would have been dead. Then I start to getting to wonder if the consciousness that is me is really consant, if I'm not really "dying" a thousand times an instant, it it's really the same conscious me waking up that went to sleep, and so on. Then I get bored.

Others? Well, I like the idea of giving them a choice.

Problems as I see it include the cell bursting freeze, and the lack of other information on other alternatives (Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd-Century's "preserved in honey" idea?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:52 pm 
Local

Sure, what the hell. But only if I could get it done post-mortum, none of that "freeze you moments before you die" bullshit. I want every last possible moment of life to be squeezed out of my corpse-to-be before they freeze my ass. I want a bigass freezer, too. One with a mattress, so that I can comfortably lay there in it during my last days, and they can monitor my dying body. And so help me, the moment I fail, I want that fucker ON.

That's not TOO unreasonable, is it? I mean, they're studying those critters that have this natural chemical in their bloodstreams that prevents their cells from exploding when they're frozen, aren't they? Like, uh, those ice worms that can be frozen for months, and then thawed out. I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually.

Before your neighbour does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:29 am 
Addict

ollie wrote:
anyone who's read Transmetropolitan will have some idea of the drawbacks of cyrogenics/future revival, the one think most people say will be great is the cool stuff going on in the future, then you have to think what a 14th century english pesent would think about being woken up today, his language is all but lost, his money, land and all worldly goods may or may not have survived (ie he could be dirt poor/dependant on the state) any vocational or social position he occupied would have lapsed and he'd have no connection with any member of his family or social/religious group any more

in short he would be a worthless mentally deficent/damaged refugee/streetperson, suffering from acute future/culture shock and 100% isolation/anomie

people let out of prison after a long stretch have enough trouble gettign back into society, never mind after a few hundred years where your contact with eth world is zero, not even a few tv programs and letters

I'd say madness/suicide/crime rates will be pretty high in the future cryogenic revival underclass

but then , i've read TransMet (from the Air Jesus coments in another thread at least one other has too)

Bingo.

I remember reading a very good book about this a few years back (though I cannot remember the author or title for the fucking life of me_ even though this guy was really rich in our time, he ended up being a fucking janitor, because what the hell does an already overpopulated world need with another skilless, culture shocked essentially useless member of society?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:14 pm 
Addict

Deacon wrote:
People are getting frozen at a significant enough rate that you wouldn't be alone in your culture shock.

there are lots of homeless/street people, drink/drug addicts, suicides and socialially insane criminals around alerady, just because there are lots of them doesn't mean that they form nice little support groups and cry on each other's shoulders does it? prehaps this is because of their belief, however true, that they are in their own personal hell, either of their own creation or by some stroke of fate and that they have nothing in common with the other derelics around them, or that they really see no hope or way of changing their lot in life, so continue along their path of self or socila destruction

prehaps a few will be able to actually manage to work out a way to live, even prosper, but a vast number are sur eto slip between, what to them seems vast, cracks in society/reality and never crawl out again after being dumped so harshly by waking up in a world that they no longer belong in, culture shock can subside, but anomie is harder to get rid of, and if this is a state run task, there will be little thanks or funding for those who do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:36 pm 
Native

ollie wrote:

I think that those who are reanimated in the future would have a place in society. I can think of many historians that would sell thier soul for someone to talk to from Ancient Greece or Medeviel times. However, would a person want to live as a constant interview subject? I wouldn't.

I wouldn't get frozen personally, because I don't trust the people of the future. For all I know, I'll end up being a cheap easy test subject for some experiment that no one cares about. There really isn't any way to be certain you will be awaken in the conditions that you request. How do you know the machines will be kept running until such a point you can be safely awaken? You could wake up with a 1 million dollar electric bill.

Politics is about saving your ass in this life; Religion is about saving your ass in the next. It's no wonder that the two are connected now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:56 pm 
Addict

DaiDreamer5 wrote:
You could wake up with a 1 million dollar electric bill.

*cough* Faye *cough*

so the consensus is "I'd freeze my friends and family, but not myself"

...does that make sense?

Post subject: Hell yes.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:47 am 
Local

I'd vitrify (not freeze, freezing blows up cells) myself in an instant when death is the only other option. Being alive and being a fucked up underclass is way better than not existing at all. At least you'd have a chance.

Post subject: Re: Hell yes.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:43 am 
Addict

Superkuh wrote:
I'd vitrify (not freeze, freezing blows up cells) myself in an instant when death is the only other option.

i think we can all assume that by 'freeze' we mean 'preserve' in some generic fashion, tho even a harsh freeze could be all that's needed for future cloning and brain/memory retrival needs, but hey, i we knew the specifics we'd make a fortune selling this to people who feel that they've wasted their lives and wand a second chance in The Generic Future (tm)

Superkuh wrote:
Being alive and being a fucked up underclass is way better than not existing at all. At least you'd have a chance.

rather than pour scorn on the holding onto the edge of a cliff with one bleeding finger just incase you are able to manage to stop yourself from falling air of this, I'll say that in my medical training, it was always stressed that our duty was to preserve life, even if it meant causing damage while doing it, you could save a person's life but in the process perminantly disable them in some way, the line we always got was "they can kill themselves afterwards if they dont' want to live that way, but at least it's their choice"

so a Soilent Green style institutionally approved suicide culture could arrise out of cryogenics, but at the same timea few people would come out of it ok, mabey...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:04 am 
Native

BDM05 wrote:
*cough* Faye *cough*

so the consensus is "I'd freeze my friends and family, but not myself"

...does that make sense?

I'd freeze my family or freinds if they ask, but if they don't say one way or the other, I probably won't bother.

(Edited because the posting function messed up)

Politics is about saving your ass in this life; Religion is about saving your ass in the next. It's no wonder that the two are connected now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]