ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:36 pm 
Addict

From the April 10, 2001 New York Times. Obviously slightly out-of-date, but still roughly indicative of how much the government spends on what.

...so if we really want to reduce government spending, why not start with the single thing that's wasting the most money?

Quote:
Perhaps because I'm not advocating a society which demands of man impossible feats of so-called morality, like anarchy or communism does?

But you are advocating anarchy, albeit of a Republican capitalist variety. And it does demand impossible feats of morality, like simply wanting to give one's hard-earned money to the federal government without compulsion. "From each according to his ability," I guess. The government cannot operate the same way a charity does, because no charity is powerful enough to prevent total anarchy.

As for basing it on subscription instead: You just said, people who don't want to pay for the subscription can be free of the government's control. This basically means that most people below the poverty line would not be under government control, since they couldn't afford it. The upper classes, on the other hand, wouldn't waste their money on it either, since they could pretty much hire their own goons to defend themselves against their enemies, without having to worry about those silly "laws" that are entailed by subscribing to Government Protection, Inc. The middle class might subscribe, but it wouldn't do much good when the lower and upper classes are beyond the government's control.

As for your comment about how much money the government steals from us - once again, I'll reiterate that, without the government, i.e. with total anarchy, then pretty much whoever the hell is strong enough to can do the same thing.

See, the problem is, everyone has the ability to use force, and the only way to keep them from just using force to get whenever they want is to create an organization that possesses so much force that everyone is afraid of disobeying it, and then making that force accountable to the people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:07 pm 
Addict

Its funny how only people who've been able to live safe, secure lives and grow fat from the security others provide advocate the limiting of that security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:37 pm 
Native

The Man In Black wrote:
Icymonkey wrote:
If the government is to exist at all, it needs money. Now, as wonderful as your utopian dream is of making the government some kind of charity which simply operates via donations, it would never work.

If you want to reduce the amount of money the government spends, that's a different issue. We're taling about the relative proportion of that budget, whatever it might be. Even if we were talking about some kind of libertarian paradise without a social safety net, and more importantly without a military and a minimal, unarmed police force (as military expenditures take up about 20 times more of our budget than welfare does), it would still need at least a few billion dollars to operate.

Hold on, 20 times more? That is, and I like to say this, a communist lie. Data pending, but watch this space.

Also, why not both? I don't see why it wouldn't work, unless of course you assume every human being is going to assume a police force and military arn't worth their money, which is a rather tenuous concept, especially as how "we're cutting police!" is a threat used to cajole people into voting for a tax hike.

I find it funny that when a Mob boss walks into someone's home, tells them that unless they pay the mob for "Insurance", bad things could happen to them, the government arrests them and charges them with racqueteering. When the government tells people to pay up for a police force, otherwise bad things could happen, it's called business as usual.

Also, Icy, your numbers show Defense at 52%, Health Human services (Welfare) at 10%. Far from twenty times difference.

IcyMonkey wrote:
...so if we really want to reduce government spending, why not start with the single thing that's wasting the most money?

Please prove that the defense of this country is, in fact, a waste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:06 pm 
Addict

Jasper wrote:
You morphed his question. He said that national defense is the most wasteful in its use of funds, not that defense is unnecessary as a whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:15 pm 
Native

revolutio wrote:
Jasper wrote:
You morphed his question. He said that national defense is the most wasteful in its use of funds, not that defense is unnecessary as a whole.

Okay, then prove that funding defense wastes more money than funding welfare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:05 pm 
Addict

Jasper wrote:
Not my job, Icy made the statement.

Though, I believe his point though was that all government programs waste money about equally. So, unless Defense is remarkably efficient and keen in their expenditures, they waste the most money. Catch the drift?

Post subject: Maybe it's called "progressive" for more than one reason.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:09 am 
Addict

Quote:
So in the case whoever wished to get the murderer found would be charged a fee.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. No common good.

Quote:
And, by what logic does "no taxes" = "no government"?

By the logic that tariffs, etc. are taxes. I dunno; it's mighty strong logic in a realistic sense. Anyone find an example of a tax-less government in history?

Quote:
Perhaps because I'm not advocating a society which demands of man impossible feats of so-called morality, like anarchy or communism does?

Don't be a smacktard. Yes, you are. Requiring law enforcement to charge for its services is infeasible, currently.

Honestly, Mibbers, address the question.

As an example:
I think that the income tax (even progressive as it is) is a-okay because it taxes in proportion to how much people can take. If we're going for some sort of common good (which sort of seems to be the aim of the social contract and having a government), and are in any sense the least bit altruistic (which most, if not all, are), then it would seem to be logical to have something that causes the least suffering, you know?

I mean, if we were all purely self-interested, your capitalist utopia might be a good idea for the upper/middle-class, but we aren't all purely that way, are we? Thus, an income tax.

For the military thingie example:
Military defence is obviously needed in some degree, and expensive. The cost of supporting associated industries at home (to prevent dependence on outside sources), in addition to paying them for the services they provide and everything else involved in maintaining the military, is large, but required, most seem to agree.

I do not see how the defence budget could support itself.

Incidentally: that nice little amendment about the income tax seems to have actually helped America gain power, thus allowing prosperity to come to said nation, which "trickles down" back to those who were taxed in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:41 am 
Native

revolutio wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Not my job, Icy made the statement.

Though, I believe his point though was that all government programs waste money about equally. So, unless Defense is remarkably efficient and keen in their expenditures, they waste the most money. Catch the drift?

Yeah, that was directed at Icy. I agree that since he made the statement he has to back it up. And if all programs waste money equally, shouldn't we remove money from programs equally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:26 pm 
Addict

Jasper wrote:
And if all programs waste money equally, shouldn't we remove money from programs equally?
Eventually. However we have to assume that budgeting for each program is done individually. SO to work on them all at once would be very time consuming and inefficient. It is more appropriate, assuming you are in need of funds in a timely fashion, to start with the largest expenditure and streamline that before moving on to the next largest and so on until all departments have been 'streamlined'.

Post subject: Re: Maybe it's called "progressive" for more than one reason.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:22 am 
Expatriate

Abunai! wrote:
By the logic that tariffs, etc. are taxes. I dunno; it's mighty strong logic in a realistic sense. Anyone find an example of a tax-less government in history?
Well.... yes. But I like being able to own property.

I'm sure you could find truly taxless governments on a local scale, but most of the services that we expect from governments call for money, which means either the government reserves for itself - and develops, in competition with the private economy - a certain large portion of the national resources from the outset, or it taxes the populace.

I can't offhand think of any government that has done the former option exclusively, and I don't think we could make that transition without devastating our current economy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:05 pm 
Expatriate

Of course, this all really comes down to what you want the world to be like. MiB apparantly (and sorry if I've gotthis wrong, its just my impression) takes a very capitalist view of the whole thing- what you earn, is yours, what you own is your own. Which is a very nice principle to take, but not universal. For one thing, those upper rih ten percent would not have made all their money, if the goverment had not sustained and molded the environment which allowed them to do so. Their fortunes would not exist except on the backs of the poor, the poor who MiB, presumably, would leave to starve when their CEO makes them redundant to pay for his new Yacht: of course it's his money, and he should be free to spend it on hookers and smack while people are lying in the gutter starving to death.
And that's his worldview and I respect that, what I don't respect is his forcing upon us of this worldview, telling us that this is right and if we disagree with itwe are amoral because I am here to tell you now that other people have different views on what is right and wrong and I for one find your "morality" to be highly selfish and inhuman.
Because I have a very different worldview, I don't care whether you earned that fortune or not, I don't care about your views on welfare or Aids or the developing world. All I care about is that people are dying and living in sub-human conditions, and I don't have the resources to help them and you do and so help me I'm gonna force you to do it whether you want to or not. Because I think their lives matter more than your principles and your selfish desires. At least, thats what I'd do if I was in charge and "you" were a rich oil baron or such-and-such, and its probably better that I'm not. But someone, somewhere along the line agreed somewhat with this and so we have taxes and welfare, and because of that most of the people in our countries won't die of malnutrition or exposure and you know what, I like that, suprising as that may be to you.
Now, that's my morality, my take on what's right and what's not and I don't expect you to agree with it, or accept it, in fact I'd be rather sad if you did, since I think we need people like you to make the world turn (but I think we need people like me to make sure no one gets crushed as it does). What I would like, however, is for you to accept that I do believe that and have as much right to do so as you do to view the world your way. So before you go spewing your mouth off labelling things moral and immoral just remember you don't have sole use of those terms and you are not the worlds judge. Learn to distinguish your own opinion from fact, and stop insulting people, and you might learn something, and teach someone else something too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:10 pm 
Addict

leopardmessiah wrote:
I iz rite, yoo ar tha rong.

no no no, you see, I am right, it is you who are wrong

sir, it is your move

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:17 pm 
Addict

Hey, its bad for me to force my worldview on you, but its okay for you to hold a gun to my face and say "pay up, people are dying."

Yeah, keeping whats mine is so immoral, robbery is a much better alternative.

Edit: as a side note, doesn't your criticia of "forcing" beliefs onto other people being bad negate your own beliefs, which are far more invasive than my own?

-MiB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:13 am 
Expatriate

I'm not entirely comfortable with my worldview, it's frankly a mess and very unprincipled. I'm not here to argue its case, especially- the one I presented was an extreme, altered version of my actual beliefs (in fact it was more an attempt at an opposite to your own- for examples purposes), the point I was really trying to get across is that "morality" is subjective, I'm not saying I think there's anything wrong with your arguments or your actions, it's just a little nitpick- probably not worth mentioning but I'm quite pedantic. More importantly, sorry, I looked back over the conversation and I realised I misread it, what you were saying was actually in line with this. Sorry I'll try and be more careful in future.
It all basically came out of this quote:
The Man In Black wrote:

I would not take the money by force. Because, by definition, the taking of wealth by force is immoral, is it not? Except when the government does it. Which is kinda a weird qualifier. OR...

It is only moral to take by force when a) the recipient of the wealth is not yourself and b) the person getting the wealth taken away from them does not need this wealth to survive.

Thus we take away a set of moral principles to act upon, and we get instead a condition: if its not for you, and it doesn't kill them, its okay, no matter what you do with it, no matter how brutally you take it away, its fine.

I would consider this moral imperative *bad* and illogical (punishing accomplishment and rewarding incompetance etc, Ollie has gone over this before and so have I). I hope you do as well.

-MiB

Which I've just found, and I think is a very well reasoned and sensible argument, unfortunately I only saw the first part of this and then thought MiB was saying that the taking of wealth by force is objectively immoral, which prompted my response. Of course, I now realise that was not what he was saying, I am very sorry for this mistake, which occured due to the lateness of the hour, too much caffiene and a healthy dose of stupidity on my part, I hope we can put this behind us but as I was quite unreasonable I recognise this may not be so, I will attempt to be more careful in future.

The Man In Black wrote:
Yeah, keeping whats mine is so immoral, robbery is a much better alternative.
-MiB

I believe my point was, its not immoral, its merely something I don't agree with (sorry if you were you being ironic). I thought this was clear when I wrote it but as I was referencing my (false) interpretation of your former comment I realise this was not so. As to the actual argument, I do think you have got the moral highground, and robbing you is not a good alternative, but if I have to take the choice between robbing you and letting someone die, I'll take robbing you every time. Which I must admit is a highly unsatisfactory way to run things.

As an aside:
For those interested, the system of goverment MiB was suggesting suggested anarcho-capitalism to me, although considerably closer to capitalism (in that it still proposed a form of goverment, but relegated it to the position to which anarcho capitalism typically relegates the elements of goverment) but since I have little knowledge of the system and none of libertarianism I'll try not to put words in his mouth. Regardless of whether he meant it or not, its a rather interesting idea (not to mention a practical alternative to the more extreme forms of anarchism) that I'd suggest people check out, as I'm doing now (although i doubt it will cause me to discard my current quasi-utilitarian beliefs, it's good to keep an open mind). If it is what he meant, I'm sure he can explain it much better than I, but a quick google search brings up here here , here and here as possible resources. Cyberpunk fans may wish to check out the "The Star Fraction" which I'm ashamed to admit was untill this conversation re-sparked my interest was the sum of my knowledge :oops: I bring it up because it seems most similar to MiB's proposal (although I don't mean to trivialise this established and respectable philosophy by quoting a science-fiction story as a major source, the book I guess is more personal to me than in any way notable)

Last edited by leopardmessiah on Mon May 24, 2004 11:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:23 am 
Expatriate

ollie wrote:
leopardmessiah wrote:
I iz rite, yoo ar tha rong.

no no no, you see, I am right, it is you who are wrong

sir, it is your move

Sorry, what I was trying to say there was, neither of us are right. That probably came out wrong, as you noted before my writing is poor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:23 pm 
Addict

leopardmessiah wrote:
I'm not entirely comfortable with my worldview, it's frankly a mess and very unprincipled.

I don't think you needed to tell us that, it was pretty clear from the get-go.

leopardmessiah wrote:
I'm not here to argue its case,

Lord forbid, in a debate area, you defend your view.

leopardmessiah wrote:
the one I presented was an extreme, altered version of my actual beliefs (in fact it was more an attempt at an opposite to your own- for examples purposes)

Example of...what...?

leopardmessiah wrote:
the point I was really trying to get across is that "morality" is subjective, I'm not saying I think there's anything wrong with your arguments or your actions, it's just a little nitpick- probably not worth mentioning but I'm quite pedantic.

No, it is not subjective. My morality is right: your's is wrong.

See? Everyone wins.

leopardmessiah wrote:
Which I've just found, and I think is a very well reasoned and sensible argument, unfortunately I only saw the first part of this and then thought MiB was saying that the taking of wealth by force is objectively immoral, which prompted my response.

It is objectively immoral.

leopardmessiah wrote:
I believe my point was, its not immoral, its merely something I don't agree with

Yes, not agreeing with a moral standpoint usually means its immoral in your eyes or neutral.

Subjective morality is amorality, thus I win either way anyway, so...

point?

-MiB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:19 pm 
Expatriate

The Man In Black wrote:
leopardmessiah wrote:
the one I presented was an extreme, altered version of my actual beliefs (in fact it was more an attempt at an opposite to your own- for examples purposes)

Example of...what...?

A view different to your own.

The Man In Black wrote:
leopardmessiah wrote:
the point I was really trying to get across is that "morality" is subjective, I'm not saying I think there's anything wrong with your arguments or your actions, it's just a little nitpick- probably not worth mentioning but I'm quite pedantic.

No, it is not subjective. My morality is right: your's is wrong.

See? Everyone wins.

leopardmessiah wrote:
Which I've just found, and I think is a very well reasoned and sensible argument, unfortunately I only saw the first part of this and then thought MiB was saying that the taking of wealth by force is objectively immoral, which prompted my response.

It is objectively immoral.

Please explain how it is objectively immoral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:11 pm 
PostWhorePornStar

If it's going to come down to an arguement about morality, rather than the morality of charity, taxes, or collective comunity, I say skip it over to a new thread. I think it'd make one hell of a debate.

-Kitty

BTW, kid, you're not gonna have MiB back down, period, but keep swinging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:39 pm 
Addict

No, Ryan, people have had me back down on plenty of issues, actually.

You just lack teh argue-fu, apparently.

-MiB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:56 pm 
Addict

...I call bluff on you MiB, I DEMAND proof

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next