ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Iraq and WMDs
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:15 am 
Addict

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/ ... index.html

As mentioned by Ollie.

Discuss.

-MiB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:33 am 
Expatriate

I'm guessing from the title of the thread we're to be discussing the part about the sarin gas shell. You all know I prefer to present both sides of the story when I can, but I really can't see a couple of gas shells left over from the Gulf War as a threat to the free world. Now, no one in the government is quoted in the article as saying "see, look, we found WMDs at last, the war was justified, nanny-nanny boo-boo," so I won't say that it's a spin piece blown way out of proportion (yet). The article is very straightforward and easy to accept. But I don't see any major implications behind it. The key argument around WMDs as a reason for invasion was the immediate threat of new development and production in Iraq, and a pair of Gulf War shells is not going to cut it as support for that justification. Hell, the US army loses ordanance from time to time; there's no indication that Saddam even knew he had shells left over. Sure, he might have; I'll even go so far as to say it's a decent chance he kept some intentionally. But that's not research, and it's sure as hell not development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:44 pm 
Addict

I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone with a brain. Heck I am surprised we haven't found more traces thus far. I think the crux of this particular find would be to determine how old this shell was and if the users even knew what it contained.
Quote:
"Whether the person who rigged it up as an IED (improvised explosive device) knew what they had or not is open to question," the official added.

Bleh frankly I am tired of this war. People are being emotionally infantile over it. We aren't even getting cool footage of people shooting each other.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]