ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:10 pm 
Addict

Yea thats prolly why they're cheaper.

Still, its funny, a lot of light mechs are more expensive than a tank, yet they're armed with an AC/20 or two, or enough LRMs to be a threat to anything.

The point isn't that vehicles are inferior, its that you don't wade into battle with them like a lolz n00b.

-MiB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:06 pm 
Addict

Bah I would only field 100-tonners. They were either unGodly fast for their weight or they would be virtually immobile with enough firepower to take on a Warship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:19 am 
Addict

Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
The fastest a 100-tonner can move is 4/6, unless you add MASC or TSM. And the standard engine for that kind of movement takes up 52 tons out of your total 100. That's why the original Banshee sucked so much. A 95 ton mech with the armament of a low-end medium just so it can move at the same rate as the slower heavy mechs is NOT a good trade-off.

Tanks have three functions:

1) Harrass enemy units in hit-and-run attacks. The Pegasus and Musketeer are excellent for this.

2) Overwhelm the equivelent battle-value mech force with superior numbers and firepower. The Alacorn, Ajax, and Challenger X MBT are good choices.

3) Recon/infantry support. Small, fast, and lightly armed/armored vehicles transport infantry to within attacking distance of the enemy, harrass enemy mechs, and probe for enemy positions. Most people laugh at the Savannah Master hovercraft because of its single medium laser and nearly non-existent armor. Until they're surrounded by a company of the things, all circling at high speed, taking potshots at them, and disgorging a squad of Fa Shih battle armor from each vehicle. You have no idea how many people are shocked to discover that what they thought was a recon unit or harrassing force has just dumped a crapload of infantry into their midst.

So, if any of you guys play the MMNet online campaign, lemme know which server you play on and what faction you like. See which of us is superior.

Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:24 am 
Native

I play megamek -shrugs- I used to play atleast.

Those damn lamers taking 10 minutes to move kinda crapped up my day though.

And I'd love to see a mech within 100 tons able to take on a texas class battlecruiser. :P
(edit:Actually any class battlecruiser..since the smallest one is like 10 times as heavy as a Daishi or Atlas ;P)

Anyways, Ollie for the love of gawd remove thy avatar!
It makes me so fucking sick I can't read your posts, and they seemed like damn interesting ones!

Arms too short to box with God.
Initiated by Themadthinker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:20 pm 
Addict

Affi wrote:
Anyways, Ollie for the love of gawd remove thy avatar!
It makes me so fucking sick I can't read your posts, and they seemed like damn interesting ones!

dude, we're talking about weapons of WAR that often KILL PEOPLE here, not kittens and cupcakes

(also i suspect that the gunfire in my avatar comes from an armoured vehicle, it looks like the 1 in 2 mix tracer to ball that many western armies only use in AFVs, it's closer to 1 in 7 in infantry weapons)

so here above all it's on topic

anyway, played some MegaMek earlier today, ended up losing 6 medium mechs to ammo explosions, 3 each for me and for my opponant, carnage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:44 am 
Local

Plays Mechwarrior 4.

Yay!

As for gauss weapons: http://www.anothercoilgunsite.com/nf-portable.htm
Check out the video. I now have one on the to-do list.

One would think a tank would be much more versatile, because you could easily park the tank somewhere where it's hard to see, turn off the engines, and wait silently. Fire a gauss rifle at close range and you just did some mega damage. Since a gauss rifle, if a coilgun, does not produce any sound or flash, you would not be able to find what the hell just hit you. Fire again, have some other concealed tanks hit the mech a couple times.......

And ollie, your avatar is teh awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:44 am 
Native

Still I'm having trouble keeping my food down where it's spose to be just over and over looking at a lil kid get shot in the head...

Not that I have anything against small kids getting shot in the head, oh no, fire away as I usually say ^-^ It's just distracting me from reading your wonderful posts. (-tries flattery-)

Anyways, yea big tanks and all. If ya hadn't already said we couldn't pick APC's I'd say the BMG (bmp?), just pimtastic.

"BMG 12 O'clock!" -.-

For me it's the Leopard2(S) or as we Swe's call it Stridsvagn 122.

72 km/h and 31 km/h backwards, makes for fast retreats for our ever victorious army.

Big pimpin -.-

(edit: Did that pic be too big ^.-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:37 am 
Addict

full version of the video (2.5 times the length + size of my avatar)

The BMP series of APCs start out pretty damn shoddy (BMP1) and end up pretty damn good (BMP3) and they were pretty pioneering when they first came out compaired to the armoured box + machine gun that the West used, the main flaw they have is very light armour, anything above a .50cal can easily take them out, and a .50 can cause quite some damage, and that they seem to like putting the aux fuel tanks in the back doors with barely any armour...

The BMP3 is one of the world's best APCs tho, certainly the best the Soviet block countries ever built

talking of the Leopard, Canada, a fellow Leopard user is scrapping them all in the next few years to be replaced by Strykers mounting the 105mm turret, the first NATO nation to get rid of their MBT fleet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:32 am 
Native

Right, BMP.

And about that auxilary fuel tanks in the back doors is just 'cause they wanna show the world that they're hardasses. ^-^

Strykers? Never heard of them before ^.- Btw, why'd they want to go scrap the leopards? They're actually pretty damn good... from what I've heard from my friend who puttered around in one... while being fed propaganda about how good they are... very damn reliable.
Why change a 120mm turret to a 105 ^.-

Oh and I can actually gaze at your avatar now that I realize that it isn't a poor kid getting shot in the head but actually a semi-full grown idiot with a RPG-like object. Why'd he go and be such a stupid ass and sit in the middle of the street?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:12 pm 
Addict

i like the way the first (tracer) round that hits him bounces off a rib on the way out sending it into the ground and putting enough force to knock him onto his ass, he's then missed by the next 2 rounds, one ball and one tracer whizzing past his head then he caught a ball round in the forehead and it exits through the side, the final tracer round then hits his upper torso and exits by his right shoulder, again, hitting bone then changing course upwards, all in bullet time slow-mo

but yes, he really shouldnt' have looked shocked when he got hit at first, i mean he's crouching in the dead middle of the road under fire...

I'm pretty sure the Stryker has been discussed here before, if no one else does first I'll find a link later etc, can't stay on for long

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:38 pm 
Local

Chris THe Great wrote:
As for gauss weapons: http://www.anothercoilgunsite.com/nf-portable.htm
Check out the video. I now have one on the to-do list.

One would think a tank would be much more versatile, because you could easily park the tank somewhere where it's hard to see, turn off the engines, and wait silently. Fire a gauss rifle at close range and you just did some mega damage. Since a gauss rifle, if a coilgun, does not produce any sound or flash, you would not be able to find what the hell just hit you. Fire again, have some other concealed tanks hit the mech a couple times.......

Fucking hell, I've written up this post in a more extended version 2 times now, crashing before hitting "post" both times.

No. A coilgun based tank is not going to happen. It is not going to happen because coilguns and all other reluctance based electromagnetic accelerators are inherently inefficient. First of all you have the problem of saturating your projectile, after the saturation point putting more energy into the system is pointless. No, you can't get around this by switching the coil's current polarities ever other coil. And if you attempt this you're just going to have more complex switching which will make the gun more inefficient and prone to failure. Pretending that one can bypass projectile saturation, you still have suckback. I have yet to see documentation of a coilgun that achieved efficiencies >=8%, and those that came close where voltage, low energy systems that could not be applied to weapons. To achieve the same kinetic energy as a simple 9mm round (~516j) at a very generous 8% (really, no one has done that, and I read a lot of naval academy docs) you'd have to dump in around 7kj. Now, that may seem almost reasonable until you consider the fundamental limits of compact pulsed power (2.8Mb). Electrical energy density is nowhere even close to that of chemical systems. And compulsators don't really fair well with coilguns.

Coilguns are toys, nothing more.

That is not to say that electromagnetic accelerators cannot be used as weapons, both inductance (not reluctance like above) based disc launchers and railguns (of plasma armature design and insane energies, >20kj) regularly achieve efficiencies over over 30%. They are applicable as weapons systems for ships and such.

Coilgun tanks, no. Railgun tanks, not soon. Tanks are too small. Chemical energy based systems are going to rule the roost for many more years.

Anyway, best tank, US M1A2 Abrams. I have nothing new to add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:17 am 
Native

can't really say it won't happen, 'cause we no know what future is hold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:54 am 
Addict

Affi wrote:

I can predict with 90% or so accuracy that the future doesn't hold a clue for you.

-MiB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:27 am 
Native

The Man In Black wrote:
Affi wrote:

I can predict with 90% or so accuracy that the future doesn't hold a clue for you.

-MiB

Then again who does this not apply to ^.-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2