ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:46 am 
Addict

Location: You can't take the sky from me. Since I found Serenity.
seneca wrote:
We were in a surplus, one that others would have used to fight the debt. Consider, if we rolled up our sleeves, agreed to pay taxes now instead of stiffing our futures and our childrens futures, we could accomplish a lot. Bringing down the debt would mean no more paying interest on it, which means we could afford to offer tax cuts to everyone in the future, not just a short squandering that benefits only the now.

Not technically true. We had a projected surplus. But yes an institutional debt strangles all of us. Right now it's $321 billion a year in interest we're squandering into nothingness. Compair that with some of our other programs:

DoD: $371 billion (It's like we have another entire country to protect!)
Environment: $29 billion (Glad to see we're spending enough on the Environment. I mean, we couldn't possibly use the other $300 billion we're wasting each year to clean up.)
Internations Affairs: $23.6 billion (You know the people who aren't at war with us? Yeah, this is what this is for. Israel, India, North Korea, Iran, China, Russia etc.)
General Science, Space and Technology: $22 billion (This is the one that pisses me off the most. We spend 15 times the amount of money we spend on this on nothing! Nothing!)
Postal Service: $65 million (And you wonder why stamps have gotten expensive all of the sudden, we have nearly 5000(!) postal services in debt interest)

Currently the interest on the national debt makes up 17% of our total budget. That's right 17%

For every dollar you pay in taxes 17 cents gets squandered because the past presidents cared more about their reelection than the country and made stupid budget decisions.

How long do you think it'll take before our debt gets so large that we aren't even able to pay interest on it anymore?

"Reagan proved deficits don't matter."
- Cheney

"When a conservative says it is bad for the government to spend more than it takes in, he is simply showing the same common sense that tells him to come in out of the rain."
- Reagan

"Many of you have talked about the need to pay down our national debt. I listened, and I agree. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to act now... My plan pays down an unprecedented amount of our national debt."
- Bush

And the kicker:
"It [this new approach] will retire nearly $1 trillion in debt over the next four years. This will be the largest debt reduction ever achieved by any nation at any time. It achieves the maximum amount of debt reduction possible without payment of wasteful premiums. It will reduce the indebtedness of the United States, relative to our national income, to the lowest level since early in the 20th Century and to the lowest level of any of the largest industrial economies."
- Bush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:29 pm 
Addict

OmnipotentEntity wrote:
Environment: $29 billion (Glad to see we're spending enough on the Environment. I mean, we couldn't possibly use the other $300 billion we're wasting each year to clean up.)

Has this helped lead to the Clean Skies Act replacing the Clean Air Act? Would we possibly have to take more money away from DoD to keep the Clean Air Act in effect?

*sigh*

Well, it'll cost more in the long run with CSA because of the new environmental damage we'll have to deal with. WAY TO BE SHORT-SIGHTED.

I'm sorry, but unneccessary environmental damage to America when we were going uphill so well really pisses me off. Let the rivers catch on fire again, because obviously environmental progress inhibits economic growth. [/sarcasm] Damn his re-election.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:17 pm 
Addict

The national deficit is money that the government owes the banks. To put it another way, it's the money that all of owe to some of us.

google "Upton Sinclair" + EPIC

edit: scratch that. None of the links i got that way showcased the economic theory i thought it would.

Last edited by Emy on Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:21 pm 
Addict

I personally find it ironic that, even though blowing shit up is generally considered easier than cleaning shit up, we spend around 14 times the amount to teach people how to make shit blowup and die than we do to keep things tidy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:24 pm 
Addict

Emy wrote:
The national deficit is money that the government owes the banks. To put it another way, it's the money that all of owe to some of us.

google "Upton Sinclair" + EPIC

A majority of it is owed to the banks. But there is also a substantial amount owed to other places:

For instance: The debt for today says that 4.5 billion is owed to ourselves in the form of money. And the other 3.1 billion is things that we've borrowed.

Sorry, I misread that: this is the link I was looking for

And the numbers are: $3.9 billion in the form of somesort of money. $3.5 owed in other places.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4