ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:17 pm 
Addict

Kali_Ava wrote:
I think I might message Mibby to see if I can get his definition and support for an existing God, if you really want to debate it any further.

...if I remember correctly, last time he mentioned anything about it, he believed that a law of physics was God. Incidentally, the man who conceived of the "Morphic Resonance" theory from which this "first law of physics" is implied, is conceived of by most who know of him as a nutcake, though Mibbers argued that the rest of his (bad) theories don't invalidate this (good) one. Of course, I didn't understand how this fit with Mibbers plans to be a preacher, so I could have misunderstood something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:45 am 
Addict

Emy wrote:
Paraphrase: Don't fret about the nature of life after death, so enough you will know. In the meantime, enjoy life during life.

I can't help but think about what might happen to me after I die, and sometimes I get nervous and I start to depress myself. Which I guess is a good reason not to think about it.

The following paragraph is spawned from a recent email I had with a Catholic friend of mine, who's trying to explain her religion to me, this is what I gathered from what she said:

God may exist, and if he does, as they say, care for us all, he has a funny way of showing it. If he loves us, why is there pain and tragedt? Is it so we don't get spoiled? So we know our place? God supposedly can see everything, which means he has the power to prevent something really bad from happening... if it were in his will. There are things that happen, horrible things, that are not in his will to stop from happening, and perhaps it's because overall and in the end, the result will come out more positive than if he had stopped it or interfered in the first place.

Right.

It makes some sense, but since I have a hard time believing any kind of religions, believing anything about God and his/its existance, I can't agree with it. I have a really hard time understanding faith; how people can have it, believe in it, and the things they will do for it. I can't understand because I lost what little faith I might have had in elementary school, when my dire prayers went unanswered and I became bitter and resentful. I have no faith, and though I am curious, and though I may be able to see some light in it all, I still can't find the proof.

And anyway, if it was possible to prove God's existence, then everyone would believe, and I guess it doesn't work that way. It's not that you need proof, but you need a reason to have that kind of faith.

Or... I don't know... I can't understand it all, so I don't know if what I've typed here makes any sense or any difference in this 'debate'. But that's part of what's on my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:17 pm 
Addict

I have an essay somewhere around here that an old math prof wrote mathematically "prooving" god. It's an amusing read, but too big to post here. Anyone who feels like reading the cliff notes version PM me an email addy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:57 am 
Addict

There's an interesting idea...

God as a force rather than a being...

- Stephen Crane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:00 pm 
Addict

The hippy in me changes that:
NATURE is a force.
:P

If you want to say that God is nature, I think you're converting to an entirely different religion's perspective.

I remember Mibby's quotations being something along the lines of an all-aware consciousness, proven by our auras. In not so many words, but something along those lines. It's been too long, but he was definitely telling me about a collective conscious force manifested in all of the world's energy.

And from that you could have taken an entirely Wiccan point of view and referrenced the Lord and the Lady who are really one being, but we separate their characteristics into two (masculine/feminine). And The Lord and the Lady is just the collection of all the Gods ever worshipped and imagined just being avatars of this one force.

I mean. It's just totally generic, and as you said, the physicist was not veyr reputable. But I could see MiB arguing that all genius' theories were unaccepted by the public at first. >.>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:27 pm 
Addict

Kali_Ava wrote:
The hippy in me changes that:
NATURE is a force.
:P

If you want to say that God is nature, I think you're converting to an entirely different religion's perspective.

Pan-theism is fun!
Time for more Heinlein quotes!
R. A. Heinlein wrote:
"God split himself to many parts so that he might have friends." Seems like a pleasant idea, and it' no sillier than any other theology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:32 pm 
Addict

You know, I once got into a discussion with my friend about our respective faiths, thus leading to a quote that later changed how I thought of ALL religions.

A guy who shall be known al Kalin wrote:
Kalin: The difference between you praying and me casting magic is that I use my internal Strength and you rely on the Holy Spirit"
Chaos: You mean you beleive in the Holy Spirit?
Kalin: Yes, I just choose not to worship it.
[/quote]

- Stephen Crane

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4