ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: American Public Television - polluted by ownership bias?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:26 pm 
Addict

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/12/news/ne ... tm?cnn=yes

Friend of mine wrote:
]I never really believed in the total plausability of something like the Two Minute Hate, thinking that it would be almost impossible to find and program the exact right set of variables in order to cause a few simple words and images to make people scream and curse like bloody hell. But then I saw this and George Orwell came close to being validated.

But the real issue... this is all pretty intrusive. I like the idea of broadcasting it on Pay-Per-View. Thoughts, ideas?

Post subject: Re: American Public Television - polluted by ownership bias?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:58 pm 
Native

If it's not a political thing, then they should have to justify: 1) why the devil they made it, if not to attack Kerry, and 2) why it can't be aired a few weeks later.

I think the real issue is whether or not spending money can be defended under the First Amendment, if you are using the money to exercise "free speech."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:11 pm 
Addict

I think the only concern I have about this is a lot of young liberals using this as an excuse to attack my friend, Anna, for being a Repulican. As far as I can tell, this is a more independent thing than campaigning for Bush/Cheney. They specifically said they had nothing to do with it, and the only connection you can really give is just that Sinclair is a big supporter. I don't know what to think about all that. Reporters like to dig for everything and wind up confusing the public.

However, I really don't like the idea of the company getting away with broadcasting propaganda on public TV, especially since it's an independent project with "supposedly no political motivations." At least Michael Moore made movies, and people have options to go to those without having it "invading their homes" as the phrase goes about what's on television.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:41 pm 
Addict

I'm glad I don't watch tv. Honestly, all that shit is getting weak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:43 pm 

Quote:
However, I really don't like the idea of the company getting away with broadcasting propaganda on public TV, especially since it's an independent project with "supposedly no political motivations." At least Michael Moore made movies, and people have options to go to those without having it "invading their homes" as the phrase goes about what's on television.

you realize that public TV is government-subsidized TV? which this is not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:35 pm 
Addict

The Baron wrote:
Quote:

I have no clue what you just said. My opinion is wavering at best, because I'm don't exactly know what's going on... to be quite honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:00 pm 
Addict

"Public" television is e.g. PBS.
I think you mean "broadcast" television, though I really don't see why the distinction is important when cable subscribership is so high in most cities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:46 pm 

Kali_Ava wrote:
The Baron wrote:
Quote:

I have no clue what you just said. My opinion is wavering at best, because I'm don't exactly know what's going on... to be quite honest.

I'm saying that you are failing to understand what this article discusses at a fundamental level. A private broadcasting corporation (the Sinclair group, whatever), which owns several affiliates to major networks (your local CBS/ABC/whatever), is planning on broadcasting anti-Kerry material. It's another form of political advertisement, although it is legal because it is free speech (I doubt it endorses Bush). So, what's the problem, exactly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:33 pm 
Addict

http://web.morons.org/article.jsp?sectionid=2&id=5638

Really, I don't have a whole lot else to say. I guess the big question is whether or not they plan on calling it "news".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:39 pm 
Addict

The Baron wrote:
I'm saying that you are failing to understand what this article discusses at a fundamental level. A private broadcasting corporation (the Sinclair group, whatever), which owns several affiliates to major networks (your local CBS/ABC/whatever), is planning on broadcasting anti-Kerry material. It's another form of political advertisement, although it is legal because it is free speech (I doubt it endorses Bush). So, what's the problem, exactly?

I just thought it was interesting first off. That's why I posted it.

Second of all, I wanted to learn just what this was about, which you have cleared up for me. Thank you. No need to be mean about it. I was curious, and I wanted to broaden my mind and understanding. So blah. [/end touchiness]

Wark wrote:

I guess there would be my problem. Hrm...

Post subject: Hours awake consecutively: 29 and counting.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:48 pm 
Addict

The Baron wrote:
It's another form of political advertisement, although it is legal because it is free speech (I doubt it endorses Bush). So, what's the problem, exactly?

Aside from illegality of private corporations engaging in political advertisements within sixty days of an election, I'd say there's the immorality of airing political opinion as fact (it'd be likely to fool many), which is what I presume is what is happening (I haven't clicked a link yet).

Whatever happened to the good old FCC we used to know, eh?

Lucis Spei wrote:
I think the real issue is whether or not spending money can be defended under the First Amendment, if you are using the money to exercise "free speech.

That (e.g. "Do some people have more free speech (money) than others?) would be more in the area campaign finance reform, I'd think.

Kali_Ava wrote:
As far as I can tell, this is a more independent thing than campaigning for Bush/Cheney.

I could say the same of 501(c)s and 527s.

Skjie wrote:
I'm glad I don't watch tv. Honestly, all that shit is getting weak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:54 am 
Addict

Abunai! wrote:
The Baron wrote:
It's another form of political advertisement, although it is legal because it is free speech (I doubt it endorses Bush). So, what's the problem, exactly?

Aside from illegality of private corporations engaging in political advertisements within sixty days of an election, I'd say there's the immorality of airing political opinion as fact (it'd be likely to fool many), which is what I presume is what is happening (I haven't clicked a link yet).

That's basically what Wark's artical covered. And it had valid links to federal law definitions and company restrictions. I thought it was rather a good article to (using the election laws) counter what the plans were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:26 pm 
Addict

Remember, these restrictions exist because Siriues, et cetera, use a public property, the airwaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:24 am 
Addict

When all you watch is MTV's Pimp my Ride and cartoons like I do, you tend not to care.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]