ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:41 pm 
Addict

OmnipotentEntity wrote:
Thinman wrote:
I say, roll the fluffy parts of HS back to the eighth grade, and make 9-12 optional. Cover writing and arithmetic in grade school and leave hard science and math for the college bound. That way, a HS says "Yes, I am a motivated individual" and the kids who are only coasting can get out and get a 4-year head start on jobs or the vocational track.

9-12 is optional.

Am I missing something, or do you not have to be in school until you're 18?

In any case, making 9-12 optional in practice as well as in theory would go a long way to making a HS worth something again. If even the army won't accept you without a HS, you know it's pretty much a basic requirement for normal entry into society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:19 pm 
Local

I actually prefer the Chinese educational system, which, if I recall correctly, runs something like this:

Children go to school, learn, etc. If they want to work hard, they work hard and study and do homework, etc. If they don't want to, they can slack off. At the end of the year, they're given a test. One test. If you pass the test, you go to the next grade level. If not, you start being trained for a vocation. It continues like this all the way up to the university level, where competition is stiff as hell, and if you EARN and DESERVE a quality education, you are GIVEN one, regardless of socioeconomic status and whatnot, and if you can afford it. It's just there for you if you earn it. If not, you work like a dog.

Maybe I prefer this because it means I'd have gone to the school of my choice (that I was accepted to) without worrying about the $45k a year it costs, instead of choosing a state school because of the free ride. Also, it puts a lot more stress on the conviction and ethic of the individual, which is, I think, a very important skill to have, especially in the younger and more formative years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:29 pm 
Addict

I think the laws are different in different states. Here, I think you can drop out when you're 16, regardless of what grade your in. I could be wrong, though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4