ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adopt-A-Highway in Missouri
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:59 pm 
Addict

The small case.

The program
- Further information

The First Ammendment

I was curious about your opinion.

I could go either way... it really depends on what you think the KKK would be in violation of by adopting a highway. <b>Edit:</b> Oops. I totally misread the article.

Quote:
The government may prohibit people from knowingly associating in groups that engage and promote illegal activities.

Quote:
When a federal judge ruled for the Klan, saying the denial violated their First Amendment rights, the state amended the program to exclude participants<b> with a history of violence</b>, as noted by state or federal courts.

Last edited by Kali_Ava on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:35 pm 
Addict

Let them do it, there's no harm can come from a bunch of racist bigots picking up litter and some good, and a sign with "KKK" on it or whatever won't persuade any non-racists that they should suddenly hate all non-white people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:47 pm 
Addict

ptlis wrote:
Let them do it, there's no harm can come from a bunch of racist bigots picking up litter and some good, and a sign with "KKK" on it or whatever won't persuade any non-racists that they should suddenly hate all non-white people...

I don't really care who wants to clean up the environment. Cleaning it up is a good thing in itself. The AAH site said the signs and the service wasn't any type of public forum. Too lazy to click to get quote.

But what if the KKK members hold meetings whilst picking up the garbage, planning what house they're about to vandalize next? If they're not allowed to assemble legally, they'd have to be resorting to all sorts of crazy measures to get together to draw up plans. Teehee.

(PS. GAWD googling nearly every other word is a pain.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:01 pm 
Addict

Kali_Ava wrote:
But what if the KKK members hold meetings whilst picking up the garbage, planning what house they're about to vandalize next?

Then it makes it very easy for the cops to be in the right place at the right time to catch them in the act and arrest them for said vandalism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:27 pm 
Addict

ptlis wrote:
Kali_Ava wrote:
But what if the KKK members hold meetings whilst picking up the garbage, planning what house they're about to vandalize next?

Then it makes it very easy for the cops to be in the right place at the right time to catch them in the act and arrest them for said vandalism.

[devil's advocate]Better to short-cut them beforehand, so that they don't have the chance. They have been proven history of very violent acts.[/]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan#Today
Just from reading that, I get the impression that their violent ways have not exactly ceased.

http://www.computingcases.org/case_mate ... imate.html
Quote:
To qualify as illegal hate speech, a piece of speech must pass what is called the Brandenburg test. This is based on a case of Ku Klux Klan (KKK) speech in Ohio (Brandenberg vs. Ohio, 1969) in which Brandenburg invited a reporter to a KKK rally and the resulting video (with Brandenburg speaking) was shown on local and national news. The test was offered by the Supreme Court in overturning the Ohio law that made Brandenburg's action in giving the speech illegal. The test states that we cannot declare speech illegal, "except where such advocacy is directed to <b>inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.</b>"

Which ties into <a href=http://forums.kyhm.com/viewtopic.php?t=6854>this thread</a>.[/quote]

Post subject: Re: Adopt-A-Highway in Missouri
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:33 pm 
Addict

Kali_Ava wrote:
Although, I think the reason that the Supreme Court ruled against the KKK in this is the right to assemble when they're known as such a violent group.

Quote:
The government may prohibit people from knowingly associating in groups that engage and promote illegal activities.

Quote:
When a federal judge ruled for the Klan, saying the denial violated their First Amendment rights, the state amended the program to exclude participants<b> with a history of violence</b>, as noted by state or federal courts.

Errr ... what? The article says the Klan <i>won</i> the right to participate in the program.

Also, as repellent as they are, the Klan doesn't openly promote anything illegal. They can assemble however they want. I'm pretty sure the first amendment issue here is freedom of speech, not assembly though. The government is discriminating against a group because of their stated opinions. Can't do that unless they advocate terrorism, or some such thing.

Post subject: Re: Adopt-A-Highway in Missouri
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:41 pm 
Addict

Thinman wrote:
Kali_Ava wrote:
Although, I think the reason that the Supreme Court ruled against the KKK in this is the right to assemble when they're known as such a violent group.

Quote:

Quote:

Errr ... what? The article says the Klan <i>won</i> the right to participate in the program.

^^;; You're right. I totally misread it. Didn't mean to. *embarrassment*

"Court refuses Klan Adopt-a-Highway case" threw me off. Okay. Well, don't pay attention to me.

Mm. Reading Freudian slip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:57 am 
Local

The last time I heard about a state taking down the sign and disenvolunteering the KKK (no, I don't think that's a word, but it's the best I've got, damn it!) for an adopt-a-highway thing it was because they never actually cleaned up the highway, so the state took down the sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:18 pm 
Addict

because I actually live in missouri, i'd rather not see a road sign saying "this highway adopted by a bunch of racist morons," but i can't really ask for more around here honestly :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:44 pm 
Tourist

I have nothing against it, so long as they had actually done their job. People kept stealing the sign, MoDOT got tired of replacing it, they renamed the stretch of highway the "Rosa Parks Highway", the KKK didn't clean up, and they lost their stretch of blacktop. This all has been over for at least a year.

I'm not in Missouri, but close enough to know what's going on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]