ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Iran bans western movies; culture as a weapon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:42 am 
Addict

While not as frightening or hair raising as their oath to obliterate America and Israel, Iran is now showing yet another symptom of its cultural madness. On Thursday, Iran's state run television broadcasting organisation (the only one they are allowed to have) has enacted a ban on any film that they feel in any way conflicts with Islam. The problem, in my eyes, is that this is stated as being any film they feel either shows or promotes 'immorality, violence, drug usage, alcohol consumption, secularism, liberalism, anarchy (or) feminism'.

So if you thought that Iran couldn't get any more oppressive and generally tight assed, apparently they still have a few more areas where they can tighten their belts. I don't have any real problem with Islam, but these people seem to carry everything to extremes. The only reason they don't have thought police is budget constraints. Well... we knew it would happen eventually.

Hell, since some of you always complain about my using links like Fox News or CNN (due to my being a Republican stooge and all), howabout this link?

On top of the obvious, I want to talk about the idea of culture as a weapon. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Iran bans western movies; culture as a weapon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:33 pm 
Addict

Labrat wrote:
I don't have any real problem with Islam, but these people seem to carry everything to extremes.
:roll: because the extremist dictatorship of Iran is totally representative of all Muslims.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:23 pm 
Addict

By these people I was referring to the motherfuckers who are making these type of decisions. Remember that I can't write worth a damn when sober.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:28 pm 
Native

Simple solution; Go get something to drink!

Arms too short to box with God.
Initiated by Themadthinker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:26 pm 
Addict

Planning on it, but only after 9PM. Through trial and error I have found that anything more than two beers before that inevitably result in bodily injury, lawsuits, arrest, property damage, hurt feelings, a sore ass, or some combination of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:47 pm 
Addict

... You mean they didn't censer the crap out of everything already? :-?

I'm pretty sure I've heard multiple stories about the religious police in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere confiscating "immoral" material and arresting the possessor. I can't recall any anecdotes from Iran in particular, but isn't the Iranian government currently undergoing a transition from <i>relatively-strict-Islamic-state</i> to <i>wild-eyed-fundamentalist-Islamic-state</i>? The government is not terribly cohesive and some Iranian minsters have been rather embarrased by the revivial of the "wipe Israel off the map" rhetoric.

Seems to me this sort of thing has been going on for a while, and the Iranians have recently found a renewed need to show just how not afraid of America (and the rest of the world) they are. (Hardc0re) Thus the publicity.

On the other hand, we do use <a href="http://www.radiofreeamerica.net/">culture as a weapon</a>. Or at least try. RFA has a pretty mixed record as far as influencing world option goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:17 am 
<font color=red><b>STALKER/FAG ALERT.

Iran might be banning American movies, but that won't stop the finger fucking meme from spreading in from next door in Iraq.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:10 pm 
Addict

nick012000 wrote:
Iran might be banning American movies, but that won't stop the finger fucking meme from spreading in from next door in Iraq.

Of course then the motherfucking Iranian clerics will pass the meme off as an affirmation of god and the destruction of Israel. They are good at doing that to anything they can't extirminate or avoid alltogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:43 am 
Addict

The two fingers reprisent Allah. The one, the evil of the infidel world. Thus showing that firstly Allah is greater the lowly infidels. Also you must send our worship into the pink, the all consuming glory that is Allah, that which is all desirable, and life giving, and wonderful, and so on and so forth. If you worship the infidels world, though,you do it with only half the spiritual power, and you end up stinking like the ass of a simularly named animal. So... *makes the meme sign* Search for the pink, and avoid the stink. Prais Allah!

- Stephen Crane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:43 am 
Addict

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051220/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_music_ban;_ylt=Ak_WFnCMJue9vtJkgjGFei6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-seems an Iranian ban on western music is going lagely ignored. We must be winning the war on culture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:04 pm 
Local

arwing wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051220/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_music_ban;_ylt=Ak_WFnCMJue9vtJkgjGFei6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-seems an Iranian ban on western music is going lagely ignored. We must be winning the war on culture!

You mean the Iranians aren't going to be able to listen to Greenday, Blink 182, or Britney Spears (or her modern equivelant, I don't keep up) any more? Oh, what oppressed and downtrotten people! :wink:
Not that this will matter for long, since the way things are going, after we've got things settled (or more settled, since they are settling down now) in Iraq, Iran is probably going to be next. One slip-up on their part, and we'll be all over them. Or perhaps 'Little Kimmy' will act up, and we'll finally put an end to a war that's been going on for 50 years, giving the Persians a little more time. Who knows? Well... except for Him.

Post subject: Re: Iran bans western movies; culture as a weapon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:20 am 
Addict

arwing wrote:
Labrat wrote:
I don't have any real problem with Islam, but these people seem to carry everything to extremes.
:roll: because the extremist dictatorship of Iran is totally representative of all Muslims.

Well, considering they aren't the only nation to fully adopt Sharia law, I would say yes. Iran isn't a dictatorship, it's a theocracy, which is far more dangerous. That raving lunatic is only a noisy puppet controlled by same people who brazenly broke international law and killed our embassy workers and took the rest hostage. We should have nipped this in the bud when we had the chance to in the seventies (unfortunately Jimmuh was our president then), and now we (or should I say Israel) are paying the price for it. We could stop him now, but after Iraq I don't think America has the stomach for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:05 pm 
Addict

Goblin King wrote:
arwing wrote:

You mean the Iranians aren't going to be able to listen to Greenday, Blink 182, or Britney Spears (or her modern equivelant, I don't keep up) any more?

I think the point is that everyone should have the right to listen to anything they want. Rather than 'OMG MODERN MUSIC IS TEH SUCK AND TEH IRANIANS ARE LUCKY CAUSE THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LISTEN TO IT'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:46 pm 
Local

onion wrote:
Goblin King wrote:
arwing wrote:

You mean the Iranians aren't going to be able to listen to Greenday, Blink 182, or Britney Spears (or her modern equivelant, I don't keep up) any more?

I think the point is that everyone should have the right to listen to anything they want. Rather than 'OMG MODERN MUSIC IS TEH SUCK AND TEH IRANIANS ARE LUCKY CAUSE THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LISTEN TO IT'.

Eek! I wish their was a [sarcasm][/sarcasm] command, it would solve alot of misunderstandings. [sarcasm]But it is a public fact that foriegners have HORRIBLE tastes in music, and will listen to ANYTHING American, much like we'll be automatically amazed by things like J-Pop.[/sarcasm] Except for Poland. Poland is totally Metal! ...And Ghetto...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]