ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ending citizenship by birthright
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:09 pm 
Addict

There's <a href="http://www.washtimes.com/national/20051103-115741-1048r.htm">talk of eliminating US citizenship by birthright</a> as a step towards dealing with illegal immigration. The theory goes that eliminating so called "anchor babies" will make it harder for illegals to gain citizenship. This, combined with a guest worker program that allows non-citizens access to jobs is supposed to eliminate the motivations for border hopping and visa violations. On the other hand, if you've been paying attention to the news, you'll notice that one of the root causes of the riots in France appears to be a lack of democratic participation by French-Arab immigrants.

So, do you think a tough-on-naturalization policy will work as a deterrent to illegal immigration? Or will guest worker programs and a high standard for full citizenship just create a new class of workers without government representation?

My personal feeling is that guest worker programs are mainly acknowledgments of the current state of affairs, but erecting barriers to citizenship seems ... un-American somehow. Major ethnic immigrations have always been turbulent. (The Irish during the potato famine, Chinese labor in California, etc.) And the complaints are always the same. Ethnic insularity, lack of integration, working for substandard wages, taking jobs from native citizens) After a period of integration, things restablize. As free marketeers, the conservatives should realize this.

Post subject: Re: Ending citizenship by birthright
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:17 pm 

Thinman wrote:
As free marketeers, the conservatives should realize this.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention post-9/11, but I certainly wouldn't characterize the Republicans as fiscally conservative anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:32 pm 
Addict

If they're going to use it as a campaign plank, I'm going to call them on it. Remember, this is the Anti-Protectionist party too. :-?

As a practical matter, yes, the Republican party is divided between neo-cons and social and fiscal conservatives. I'm hoping the social conservatives will keep making their crazy demands for a Christian State and keep alienating the Republican party's corporate masters and the neo-cons will keep demanding their crazy foreign policies and keep alienating Republican voters.

A real crack in the two party system would be nice and Fiscal Conservatism breeds moderates in a way that Apocalyptic Christianity just doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:19 am 
Addict

we are kind of seeing this already. http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1126781,00.html Republican canditate for governor of VIRGINIA didn't campaign with Bush when he was in town recently. The election is aparantly too close to call. Republicans are worried that apcolyptic Christianity might not last them 6 years, and they might lose congress.

I heard a poll on NPR earlier today that said if all congress persons were elected tomorrow, that public opinion polls show that both houses would belong to democrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:33 pm 
Addict

arwing wrote:
I heard a poll on NPR earlier today that said if all congress persons were elected tomorrow, that public opinion polls show that both houses would belong to democrats.

That's becase you would be hard-pressed to find a conservative that actually listens to NPR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:17 am 
Addict

Marjin wrote:
arwing wrote:

That's becase you would be hard-pressed to find a conservative that actually listens to NPR.
This is true, but it was in a quote of a Democratic senator IIRC. Though I suppose that makes it less reliable. The Dems won Virginia BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:04 pm 
n00b

I like the idea. I see it as unfair that I get to be a Canadian for free (as well as people who flee here from oppression) simply due to being here. A lot of immigrants have to pass exams and be considered worthy to be a citizen.

That sucks, it's simply not fair. It takes away an opportunity to show that I'm worthy. I'd be a lot more of a proud citizen if I had to earn my right to be hear through written examination.

This would be a good thing to do for voting age. Basically, make it so children aren't citizens, they're under the care of citizens (parents) or the government (orphanages). Then, when they're old enough, they can apply for citizenship. When they pass, they get all the benefits and the vote.

Any problem with it? Makes sense to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:17 am 
Addict

Speaking from my experience in Germany, where third and fourth generation Turks who are completely Westernized, have never even been near the Mideast in their life, and sometimes don't even speak a word of their ancestral language still are not German citizens, I can confidently say that ending birthright citizenship would be unbelievably retarded and could only lead to bad things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:40 am 
Addict

Can you restate that with shorter sentences? It sounds like you're saying that in Germany there's birthright citizenship only for being the son of a German person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:57 pm 
n00b

I think what he means is that giving birthright citizenship only to the children of current citizens isn't fair because children born of foreigners can be very well adapted.

I think they generally aren't, but the possibility should be allowed for. Even so. I don't like birthright citizenship, but to be fair, for anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:07 pm 
Addict

Spools wrote:
Can you restate that with shorter sentences? It sounds like you're saying that in Germany there's birthright citizenship only for being the son of a German person.

Actually, that's not too far from the truth. German citizenship is mainly blood-based, so, for example, Eastern Europeans of German descent can acquire citizenship fairly easily, while the aforementioned Turks cannot.

Post subject: Re: Ending citizenship by birthright
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:59 pm 
Addict

Thinman wrote:
Or will guest worker programs and a high standard for full citizenship just create a new class of workers without government representation?

I have no doubt that the quoted phrase will be the outcome.

Since in Israel everyone who is non-Jewish is de facto a second-rate citizen, we don't care that much about immigrants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:47 am 
Native

tyciol wrote:
I like the idea. I see it as unfair that I get to be a Canadian for free (as well as people who flee here from oppression) simply due to being here. A lot of immigrants have to pass exams and be considered worthy to be a citizen.

That sucks, it's simply not fair. It takes away an opportunity to show that I'm worthy. I'd be a lot more of a proud citizen if I had to earn my right to be hear through written examination.

This would be a good thing to do for voting age. Basically, make it so children aren't citizens, they're under the care of citizens (parents) or the government (orphanages). Then, when they're old enough, they can apply for citizenship. When they pass, they get all the benefits and the vote.

Would you like to know more?

:p

Ok, I'll slink away now.

We're not mad. We're just argumentative. And we live in a state of fluctuating contempt for everything. - onion, when talking about herself and shoonra, actually describes the whole of kyhm forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:07 am 
Addict

Vaergoth wrote:
tyciol wrote:

That... That was one of the most awesome things I've seen in a long time...
You just won my internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:46 am 
Addict

Vaergoth wrote:

Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:10 am 
<font color=red><b>STALKER/FAG ALERT.

I don't get it... is it a reference to some dystopic scifi I haven't read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:59 am 
Addict

nick012000 wrote:
I don't get it... is it a reference to some dystopic scifi I haven't read?
The only good bug is a dead bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:18 am 
Green Text

Everyone is doing their part. Are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:21 am 
Addict

I wanna join up and save the future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:40 am 
Addict

To defeat the bugs, we must understand the bugs!

The movie < The computer-animated series < The book.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]