ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Right to privacy, public cameras, and homeless people
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:44 pm 
Addict

Location: Hanging in the endless void with nothing but entropy and fluff for company.
I recently came across a hitch in my internal logic concerning support of cameras in public places. I was checking my Nation-States account and I had the issue of using cameras deter crime in public places, and I naturally supported the issue. My opinion of the issue at the time was set; I had heard no argument I considered valid enough to challenge it. Now I've come up with one, and it's irritatingly small. The Right to Privacy ala the American constitution (I'm an American, to put it in context for the Aussies etc), goes to all of the country's citizens, not just those who have homes in which to be private. That guy who lives in the park? Big Brother is always watching him. The one who hangs out by the highway and sleeps under a rock somewhere? Him too, I'm afraid. So basically for my previous position to hold it seems only natural that the government, which obviously tries but cannot succeed, should either grant all of these people homes in which to be private or should stop using cameras to monitor public places. There are several arguments running through my head right now about various parts of the issue, but I can't seem to sort them out. None of them are really realistic, and it all boils down to a compromise between reducing or increasing safety for the general population and maintaining the basic rights assigned by our constitution for every single citizen. Discuss.

Jin wrote:
...I cursed at the computer screen for an hour and a half while striking it with my genitals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:26 pm 
Native

Technically there is no right to privacy in public places in the U.S. Constitution. (Hence the distinction between "public" and "private") The closest thing would be the 4th Amendment which reads:

U.S. Constitution wrote:
Amendment IV (1791)
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

However, note that "person" here means the actual physical searching of a person, and not simply observation or monitoring. As far as I can judge, the issue of public security cameras is up to the people of that community, and while truly invasive monitoring of every nook and cranny would likely be a problem, it is also a problem that would probably be best dealt with by local discussion and referendum.

Now the issue of security devices in airports and other public facilities (or facilities which serve a public purpose) that provide a (nearly) naked representation of the subject is another matter altogether.

Also, regarding the "granting homes in which to be private" idea, twisted liberal interpretations of the "General Welfare" phrase in the preamble aside, neither is there an enshrined right to receive largesse out of the public treasury (= entitlements).

"Political power is the game of playing God. It changes a person and makes him different from the rest of us. He begins to believe he has some kind of right to interfere in the lives of others. He may even believe he has the right to choose who lives and who dies."
— Richard Maybury

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:07 pm 
Tourist

It seems to me that cameras in public places would do more good than harm for the homeless. If something happens to a homeless person (i.e. attacked, sudden medical issue, ect.) and cameras are present, they have more of a chance of surviving because someone actually knows.

Just to tell about the first good man I found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:41 am 
Addict

If you live your life in the public area or commons you forfeit your right to privacy, it's as simple as that.

I do however disagree with cameras in public places for a slightly different reason - as they become more and more purvasive it's becoming easier for unethical persons to track your movements at minimal expense both in terms of money and time. It's not difficult to imagine an Orwellian world where Big Brother really does track you 24/7 looking for any signs of unorthodoxy.

ptlis

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]