ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:39 pm 
n00b

You said they were "the harder sciences", without a frame of reference (harder than what?) I assumed harder meant "harder than most other sciences), my bad.

Economics and Philosophy could in many ways be considered branches of anthropology and sociology. They are both studies of human behaviour without a solid scientific understanding of the programming of the human machine from a technical stand point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:23 am 
Addict

Zzarchov wrote:
Economics and Philosophy could in many ways be considered branches of anthropology and sociology. They are both studies of human behaviour without a solid scientific understanding of the programming of the human machine from a technical stand point.

On the contrary, anthropology and sociology, along with all the other sciences, could be considered branches or offshoots of philosophy. (After all, before science was called "science", it was called "natural philosophy".)

Philosophy is the pursuit of truth or knowledge in the most abstract sense. Science, on the other hand, is the pursuit of "knowledge" in a more pragmatic sense, i.e. the ability to predict, measure, and describe with appropriate models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:18 pm 
Native

Science and natural philosophy are not the same thing, not at all.

Wikipedia wrote:
Natural philosophy became science (scientia in Latin, which means "knowledge") when inductive methods of knowledge acquisition, known as the scientific method became emphasized over pure deduction.

The scientific method is not a philosophical method of inquiry. An aspiring philosopher who said, "X must be the case because I cannot prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that X is not in fact the case" would not pass peer review, but that is exactly what a scientist says. From a philosopher's point of view, science is the systematization of formal fallacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:04 pm 
Addict

Tamayo wrote:
Science and natural philosophy are not the same thing, not at all.

Wikipedia wrote:
Natural philosophy became science (scientia in Latin, which means "knowledge") when inductive methods of knowledge acquisition, known as the scientific method became emphasized over pure deduction.

Wikipedia is not always right. The fact is, anything resembling what scientists do would have been called "natural philosophy" before the 19th century. Even the article itself acknowledges that Robert Boyle referred to his very "scientific" (in the modern sense) approach as "natural philosophy". Newton called himself a natural philosopher, Galileo called himself a natural philosopher, every "scientist" before the 19th century would have referred to themselves as such. It seems like this article is trying to graft a conceptual distinction unto a mere difference in terminology. (Perhaps one could say that "natural philosophy" encompasses both science and proto-science, but I think one could see even the earliest examples of "natural philosophy" as merely early, crude, imperfect attempts at science.)

Quote:
The scientific method is not a philosophical method of inquiry. An aspiring philosopher who said, "X must be the case because I cannot prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that X is not in fact the case" would not pass peer review, but that is exactly what a scientist says. From a philosopher's point of view, science is the systematization of formal fallacy.

First of all, you're assuming that Karl Popper's explanation of science as grounded in falsifiability is accurate. This is something that not all scientists would agree with - many scientists who subscribe to more traditional Logical Positivist philosophies of science would claim that the criterion for scientific truth is verifiability (i.e. it doesn't matter whether a model could be conceivably proven false, but rather whether a model could conceivably be shown to effectively explain phenomena.)

Secondly, I don't think most scientists (or at least the more intelligent and thoughtful ones) would say that they believe scientific models to be true in the absolute sense; rather, a scientific model is true given one accepts certain criteria. (However, these are the same criteria which, in a looser sense, we use every day to simply survive in the world - "common sense" things like effectivity=truth, occam's razor, etc. (This makes the foundation of science arbitrary in some sense, but not arbitrary in the same way that, say, traffic laws are (too many parentheses, sorry!).)) My point being, science is a sort of sub-set of philosophy in this sense: that it is a sub-investigation (i.e., "if I accept x as true, then what else is true?") within the larger investigation that is philosophy (i.e., "what is true"). In some way, philosophy is the more abstract parent of all other, more specific disciplines. To quote Wikipedia*:

Quote:
Often philosophy is seen as an investigation into an area not understood well enough to be its own branch of knowledge. What were once philosophical pursuits have evolved into the modern day fields of psychology, sociology, linguistics, and economics (among others).

*Yes, I realize the irony of my attacking Wikipedia's authority and then quoting it as a source within the same post, but here I'm using it more as a concise and effective way of stating my point, rather than as a source of new information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:21 pm 
Native

I rather expected a reply in this vein -- that, in essence, Wikipedia is not the ultimate authority on the definition of a term. It's the most convenient one to hand, however. I can go elsewhere, and now I shall. In particular, my source for the following quotations is Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged and particularly the 1971 printing of that tome. It's another book I have to hand.

(As an aside: if you say, "well, the dictionary isn't a good place to find my definitions of the words I am using" then you are failing to communicate with me. I am not a telepath.)

Here's the big one.

Quote:
philosophy 1a: a love or pursuit of wisdom: a search for the underlying causes and principles of reality b: a quest for truth through logical reasoning rather than factual observation c: a critical examination of the grounds for fundamental beliefs and an analysis of the basic concepts employed in the expression of such beliefs d: a synthesis of learning 2a: archaic the study of natural phenomena b: the study of the principles of human nature and conduct c: a science that comprises all learning exclusive only of technical precepts and practical arts d: the coordinate discplines of sciences and liberal arts exclusive only of medicine, law and theology e: a science that comprises logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics and epistemology 3a: a system of motivating beliefs, concepts, and principles b: a basic theory concerning a particular subject, process or sphere of activity, usually used with of 4a: the sum of an individual's ideas and convictions: personal attitude b: calmness of temper and judgment befitting a philosopher

Now, the question, "what is philosophy" is naturally a very hard one to answer. Noah Webster did a pretty good job though. In particular, when I hear the word, my own understanding matches the denotations 1b and 1c. Even Noah Webster, though, writing at the beginning of the nineteenth century, considered the denotations 2a through 2e "archaic" -- and those are the ones that such as Isaac Newton would have used to describe themselves in context. Newton was a natural philosopher, and maybe he was a scientist; but, in his work on optics and gravity and mathematics, he wasn't a philosopher in the denotations 1b and 1c above.

Quote:
natural philosophy: the study of nature in general

Easy enough. Thus, if we use Mr Webster's definition, then, we can say that ...

Quote:
science 1a: possession of knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding; knowledge as a personal attribute b: knowledge possessed or attained through study or practice 2a: a branch or department of systematized knowledge that is or can be made a specific object of study b: something (as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge c: studies mainly in the works of ancient and modern philosophers formerly taught as a group or field of specialization d: any of the individual subjects taught at an educational institution in on of the departments of natural science 3a: accumulated and accepted knowledge that has been systematized and formulated with reference to the discovery of general truths or the operation of general laws; knowledge classified and made available in work, life, or the search for truth; comprehensive, profound or philosophical knowledge, esp. knowledge obtained and tested through use of the scientific method b: such knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena 4: a branch of study that is concerned with observation and classification of facts and esp. with the establishment or strictly with the quantitative formulation of verifiable general laws chiefly by induction and hypotheses 5: a system based or purporting to be based upon scientific principles: a method (as of arrangement, functioning) reconciling practical or utiliatarian ends with scientific laws 5: usu cap CHRISTIAN SCIENCE

Whoa! There are lots of different meanings for "science", but again, in context, I believe we are using denotation 3a. It refers to the ...

Quote:
scientific method: the principles and procedures used in the systematic pursuit of intersubjectively accessible knowledge and involving as necessary conditions the recognition and formulation of a problem, the collection fo data through observation and if possible experiment, the formulation of hypotheses, and the testing and confirmation of the hypotheses formulated

Thus, science (in denotation 3a above anyway) is far different from philosophy (of denotations 1b and 1c). If we are going to play games with definitions, we must state the rules. Mr Webster and his intellectual heirs produced a 2662-page rule book for us.

But perhaps you say that English is a slippery language, one where (as shown above) any given word can have a large number of denotations, or possibly so many denotations and connotations that without context, it cannot be understood at all. Even then, the whole idea of a context might be ambiguous. True enough also. If you prefer to use another language, one where every symbol within it is unambiguous, there are such languages available to you.

Charles Dodgson, aka Lewis Carroll wrote:
`When _I_ use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful
tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor
less.'

`The question is,' said Alice, `whether you CAN make words mean
so many different things.'

`The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be master -
- that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute
Humpty Dumpty began again. `They've a temper, some of them --
particularly verbs, they're the proudest -- adjectives you can do
anything with, but not verbs -- however, _I_ can manage the whole
of them! Impenetrability! That's what _I_ say!'

`Would you tell me, please,' said Alice `what that means?`

`Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty,
looking very much pleased. `I meant by "impenetrability" that
we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well
if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't
mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

`That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a
thoughtful tone.

`When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty
Dumpty, `I always pay it extra.'

`Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other
remark.

`Ah, you should see `em come round me of a Saturday night,'
Humpty Dumpty went on, wagging his head gravely from side to
side: `for to get their wages, you know.'

(Alice didn't venture to ask what he paid them with; and so you
see I can't tell YOU.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:30 am 
Addict

But science (as in, use of the scientific method) can be grouped under philosophy via definition 1c in Webster, i.e an examination of our fundamental beliefs. Use of the scientific method to gain "knowledge" constitutes a sort of investigation of our fundamental assumptions (particularly those regarding the nature of empirical observation and its relationship with truth) by applying those assumptions in a painstakingly systematic way.

The connection may seem somewhat tenuous, but my point is that science is an offshoot or development of philosophy, rather than vice versa, as a Zzarchov had claimed. (Certainly this is the case historically, cf. the earlier discussion on the term "natural philosophy". But I would argue this also applies logically/conceptually.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2