ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neon: A world without a story
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:51 pm 
Addict

I suffer from a lethal combination of an overactive imagination, a fascination with fantasy/sci-fi stories, and a execessive amount of laziness.

What this results in is me coming up with an enormous number of stories and worlds and never putting a word of it to paper. One of the worlds I am most fond of is tentatively dubbed Neon. I put a great deal of work into thinking it up but never even began on a story.

Here is the description I came up with so far

Neon is set in the Dark. They don't have a word for world because all they know is darkness. There are no day/night cycles and there is nothing in the heavens above. All there is is one city. It is multi-tiered and has roughly 10 million inhabitants. There are no records of when it was built. There are no records of when the city was created, if it did indeed have a beginning. Various ancient idols and totems show that the city has seen a plethora of religions and cults in its past. The higher levels are reserved for the government and nobility. It still runs off a basic oligarchy with King/Queen and all. The lower levels are highly prone to crime and rioting. Since the city has existed for so long and so much knowledge has been lost in digital warfare between hackers there are large uncharted portions of the city and much technology that has no known purpose. The only other object in the entire "world" apart from the city is a single unmoving dot in the "sky". It looks like a star but is an indefinite distance away and is a complete mystery. All the ground is essentially sand, however it is a muted black. There are no known barriers in any direction. Every expedition very far from the city has met with prompt and mysterious disaster. There are no other species, hence the very concept of other types of organisms is unknown. The name Neon comes from the fact that all the lighting in the city is neon lights of some variety and colour. The only reference for time is the spin of atoms (which is what we technically use today) and all measures of time are just scientific notation for the rotations of an atom.

Obviously this is logically and scientifically flawed so I won't even bother with trying to explain any of the technicalities of it.

If anyone likes the idea feel free to offer suggestions and expound on it. The reason I put this in the Roleplaying forum is that I thought it would make an interesting premise for some sort of adventure. The story line wouldn't even have to tie in to the city really it could just be a backdrop.

Anways I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:31 am 
Addict

heh, this post reminds me so much of myself, and i think many people will be able to relate to this.

it's pretty cool, i have to say, i for one am intregued. quite standard distopian stteing, but with a nice twist.

as for expanding the story, can't think of anything at the moment, but i'll be sure to post if i do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:52 am 
Addict

hummah … darkness. Good stuff.

Post subject: Nice
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:23 pm 
n00b

Sounds pretty kool like the way its in darkness... ooh so darrkkkk....
keep up the good work :wink: