ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Interested in this RP?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 13 ]
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: New RP: Sealed Off
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:23 pm 
Addict

Setting provided by teh Eronarn. Low-powered world, where mages find it very difficult to draw on the power of magic, and multiple mages in the same area increase the difficulty exponentially (in practical terms- hurting someone about as much as an arrow would fatigue your average mage, and doing it twice would exauhst them. Magic isn't to be used lightly.) Steampunk tech level.

In general (see below for a much longer and intracit explaination of the setting) there are 4 races, the humans (balanced, adaptable,) elves/craftsmen (dedicated with sleeker, slightly more advanced tech), the lizardmen (strong, warlike, communist and with slightly less tech than humans), and the Fishmen (Same tech as humans, society concentrates more on intrapersonal relationships, kindness, helping your fellow being etc. Kinda like communism, but it isn't government sponsored- its all volentary.)

All of these races are stuck in an immense underground complex of caves and caverns, which has been formed into one huge city. After a huge cataclysm, there was no desireable land on the surface, and the only people who survived were those who fled underground. People eat fungus, use luminous underground bugs to light their houses and roads, and use underground lakes to get fresh water and water to power their steam engines.

The situation is thus. There are 5 districts, one for each race and an extra. The extra lies in the middle of these other districts, in a lush and valuable area which grows fungus for the rest of the 4 districts, and is very small. This area is immensely important, as recent cave-ins have cut this particular cavern-complex off from heavy traffic, and food cannot be imported except in small doses.

Unfortunately, the yeilds of these crops has gone down to almost half in recent months. Each district leader is blaming one or more of the other districts, saying they're stealing food, getting food from an outside source, and/or sabotaging the crops to undermine their district. Tensions are mounting between the districts. Few investigations are actually being made into the why in the low crop yeilds. Each leader marshals his forces and gets ready to move into the neutral district, who's leaders flee and who's people arm themselves as best they can in order to stave off a potential attack, from any of the 4 districts. The Fish-people are wary of this, but say they are ready to defend the neutral district.

Teh Eronarn wrote:
Humans were created by Trickery, they were made adaptable so they could learn to do anything necessary to attack others.

The Sho'Kir (lizardmen) were made by War, so he would have strong fighters to defend his territories with.

The Craftsmen (proper name Monath-ilir, they're the 'space elves') were made by Purpose, so he would have someone always dedicated to accomplishing something.

The Skell (fish-people) were made by Love...Love tried to help all creations, give them something besides the negative parts of Trickery, War, and Purpose (which is rather dull)

Yet, in doing so, Love used up too much of its power, and had to choose between outward beauty and inward beauty for its creation. So, the Skell are eternally ugly, because they creator loved everything enough that it sacrificed for it.

Those are the four races. Go here for the leaders of each district.

Last edited by The Man In Black on Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:31 pm 
Native

The setting sounds a bit like the old Exile games. That's a good thing, mind you; that was a very atmospheric game series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:11 pm 
Local

I really can't feel the atmosphere here at all. I think a little more background work would help immensely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:13 am 
Native

yeah, i agree. I'm still not completely sure of what a steampunk timeline is like, but i dont think it will be all that hard to understand. its just like what kind of technology, like warcraft 3 right? if you've played it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:16 am 
Addict

Location: You can't take the sky from me. Since I found Serenity.
Think Wild Wild West-ish gadgets, (well, the walker anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:20 am 
Native

Ok, so then there are still guns then? and if so, we talkin slow-loading-innacurate-black-powder using musket type guns, or more modern, like revolvers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:13 am 
Addict

This is part of a much larger setting in progress.

This particular part is extremely low-tech, the only really advanced technology is what is referred to as 'hidden' technology- the entire thing takes place inside of a level of a giant city.

This is, quite obviously, at the bottom layer of the city- thus, they are stuck with whatever technology they could make, so it is around a steampunk level currently.

The 'hidden' technology referred to is stuff you don't see- air cleansing machines, support systems, and other systems that you just take for granted.

It is known as 'Sealed Off' because this is a backwards community in the city, taking at least two full day's travel to get anywhere. Keep in mind- the city is HUGE, it's more like an urban continent. Thus, this district is backwards and seperated, so a lack of food is a giant problem compared to the upper levels.

So, the answer is...

Yes, there are guns, of various kinds.

No, you can't have any, because they don't exist in this part of the city.

Later, I'll post the 'complete' background setting, since there is a lot of it and not all of it really relates to this particular story, such as why there is not much technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:15 pm 
Addict

2000 years ago, the Gods created the universe. There were 1800 years of near total peace, so technology developed faster (by 1800, their fall, they already had technology that we won't have
for more than a hundred years).

200 years ago, there was a cataclysm, which you don't know much about, since there was a dark age. The dark age lasted for 100 or so years. Technology was destroyed, evil ran rampant, chaos triumphed over
order.

Yet, in the past 100 years, society has attempted to rebuild. There is new technology being made, even. However, it pales in comparison to the height of 200 years ago.

Currently, all kinds of technology is present- Medieval european to 'Mechs and spacecraft.

OOC:And, no, before you ask. You CAN'T have a 'Mech.

All technology was nearly lost, however, some was saved. You can occasionally find caches of it (think treasure chests). Also, cultists of Technology secreted it away- some also tried to preserve it, since it is history. And, finally... 'Tech is prevalent at the upper levels. A LOT more prevalent. The ultra-elite security force at the top level has a 'Mech
squadron. Not only is this rare, though, you need to know how to use tech... and you need to be allowed to by the gods.

Also, since the city is powered by a nuclear reactor, there is radiation, in addition to the natural magic radiation. Yes, this means mutation. Everything from the small to the big: might be missing a finger, or might have ten extra legs. No, the reactor is not leaky- magical radiation and nuclear radiation, despite being opposites, do not cancel each other out- their effects increase exponentially.

Humans are, surprisingly, one of the more hated races, since, they caused the cataclysm, and stuff. But, they still exist as normal, they're just not automatically loved by everyone.

There is trade between the districts, of many types.

To give a mental image: you start off with the city, it's roughly circular in shape. Then, that is divided into the Greater Wards and Lesser Wards. The Greater Wards are where the majority of places are, it was the center of the city. The Lesser Wards are like big chunks that were torn off of the
Greater Wards- think like 'islands' but different. The Wards then have Districts in them. A District is like a town, but it's not as centralized- it's just a group of places really close to each other. Generally, a district is rarely more than a day's walk from another district- for safety reasons. This also facilitates trade, as the districts are too small to produce everything they need.

The district you are at was already a few day's away from any other, making it VERY isolated. But now with the cave-in, your problems are worse.

Wards are a combination of physical and social seperations... 'People from the Southwest Gate are all losers' or 'Core Warders are all weak', that kind of deal. Generally, the social borders formed around existing physical ones. There are, obviously, ways through- it's just a little bit harder.

Generally, rivals live on opposite parts of the city- for example, West Coasters dislike Gateguards.

Technically, there are no Wards in the Lesser Wards section yet... you were sent to colonize the area, possibly ending up with a Ward named after you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:49 pm 
Native

Well I'd say that definatly helped out alot, thanx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:50 pm 
Addict

Interested. Character creation rules would be appreciated.

- Stephen Crane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:29 pm 
Addict

Steampunkish. If you've played Arcanum, or Deadlands, that's about steampunk type stuff. This looks spiffy Ero, if my sched slows down a bit I'll see what I can do about jumpin in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:08 am 
Addict

Chaos_Descending wrote:
Interested. Character creation rules would be appreciated.

Rule 1: Don't be overpowered.

Rule 1a: Or else.

Rule 2: Try and fit in with established background, this means no elves or catpeople- only the four races, though mutants exist and are integrated into society. Example, you might be a lizardman mutant that has a snake-like lower body, instead of legs and a tail.

Rule 2b: You can ask me or MiB or anyone else who seems to know a lot for help if you need more background information.

Rule 3: Try to have an interesting storyline! PLEASE! It's awful when there's nothing to roleplay with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:47 pm 
Addict

Kylaer wrote:
The setting sounds a bit like the old Exile games. That's a good thing, mind you; that was a very atmospheric game series.

Hmm.. thats what i was thinking...

Eronarn says:
YOU LIE.
Eronarn says:
They pre-stole from me.

Heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:04 pm 
Addict

Edit: I'm afraid I can't finish the character description in time. I'm sorry, but you'll be better off without me. G'luck to you all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:08 am 
Addict

--;;

Shush up and join a little late you idjit. We'll just complain about how late you are. Now...GET TO WORK.

-MiB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:30 am 

The Man In Black wrote:
--;;

Shush up and join a little late you idjit. We'll just complain about how late you are. Now...GET TO WORK.

-MiB

Yeah. I only figured out what the hell character I was last night at 1AM or so, and I haven't even written it up yet. :)