ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:47 pm 
Local

Chris's Outpost.

Chris ran down the hall towards the guest room, tool pouches on his waist, headset hanging around his neck.

"I want readings on it! Why isn't it being affected?"

"Unknown. It appears to be somehow working with the field to prevent itself from being surpressed. I am computing the information as fast as I can. I should have a solution within an hour, at most two."

The imposing door slid open without even the sound of a lock clicking, and Chris burst into the room. Chaos sat on the bed, etheral blue fire coming from his eyes, as he turned towards the noise of Chris's less than steathly enterance.

"I'm blind! Who's-"

"Quiet! I don't know why you're blind, but you're safe here. I'm Chris, you're in my outpost, I picked you up after you where knocked unconcious after finding a powerful artifact. I think it might be the reason you're blind...."

I shouldn't tell him he's got fire coming out of his eyes, if he freaked that much over being blind.....

"What's the blue in front of my eyes?"

"I don't know. Calm down, I'm trying to help you...."

He turns away as Chaos lies back down on the bed, and heads into an ajoining room. He quickly returns with a bunch of boxes full of medical supplies. He leans over, trying to think how to best handle the situation.

"So, what's your name?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:52 pm 
Addict

Natichotes, Louisiana

Vincy sat on a tree branch, his coat flopping over the sides of the branch along with his hair. If he would have been visible, his white hair would have been shining in the sun were his floppy hat didn't cover it. Keeping his balance, he concentrated on feeling the disturbances in the light around Brookes hand. As always, he was spying on her writing, enjoying himself immensly at her ability. Making sure to make the light paths simply flow around him, he mantained completly invisible to the naked eye. His white eyes, lifeless and covered with a shiny film.
With his dimutive size and baby face, he looked like a child that got lost in a 50's detectives closet.
Seeing that Brooke was done, he prepared for a sneak attack. Like a tiger he watch his prey with patience, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. Just as she passed under his branch, he jumped out of invisibility, molding the light around him to give him little demon wings and horns. Falling towards her, he yelled at top of his voice "GLOMP FROM ABO-" His sentence was cut short as his flowing and impressive coat, caught on a tree branch. Brooke looked at the flailing 14 year old stuck on the branch, and broke out in laughter.
"It isn't funny"
"Oh yes it is" Brooke couldn't keep the smirk from her face "Your clumsy as an elephant."
Warping the light around him, Vincy's face became an exact immitation of Brooke's, and he began in a loud whiny voice "Oh yes it is, your clumsy blah blah blah"
Brooke smiled abit more but then set her face stern "Vincent Thomas Merilous, what where you doing spying on me?"
Vince attempted the tried and true way of getting out of trouble by accusing the accuser "First tell me what your where doing sneeking off without me sis?"

Last edited by Ancient on Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:58 pm 
Expatriate

ONE OF THOSE HIGHWAYS
The man was behind the wheel of a nasty old green truck with rust on the edges, and he was driving it terribly, skidding all over the road. The man was smoking a cheap cigarette and listening to the wind whistle in his ear through the window, and he had an enormous pile of stuff in the back, the accumulations of a lazy existence. A skinny dog was dozing on top of the pile and twitching his foot as he slept, and a few socks and assorted books lay all over the floorboards and draped under the seats and windows. Carson Nakai was on the move with an undefined end point, and the world was as it should be.

Carson traced one finger over to the radio and shut it off and for a while he kept his eyes on the road. The continued responsibility bored him and his eyes narrowed, nearly closing completely. How far from Hemmington, now? Must be at least fifty miles. The terrain was smoothing out and getting scrubby and he could see the smoke and burn of the chaparral mountains gravitating out over the horizon, making the blue sky a piss-yellow. San Francisco had been moist and fogged out and bone chilling, for months on end, and the heat and the insects in the air around him, coming in through the open windows, were deeply refreshing.

A fly was sucked into the car by the velocity and Carson switched his eyes to it, following the terrified motions as it orbited around his head, crazed. Better roll up the window after it leaves, he thought. He moved his hand to the crank. Suddenly, a crunching noise brought him back to attention and Carson noted faintly he’d run five feet or so off the road. Cars. They required so much attention. He had never had that much attention to give.

He carefully directed himself back onto the pavement, humming “Radar Love” under his breath, off tune, tapping his fingers on the dash and setting his Dashboard Jesus off and wriggling in time. Sighing, Carson turned the radio back on. If he was going to die in a metal and steel and diesel box of death, he’d do it to the classic rock station. The road was getting more twisted and climbing higher now, and Mexico seemed to be edging over the horizon. The world was burning to death outside. Carson felt certain that the vultures were going to start bursting into flame and plummeting to the ground, their bodies beginning the inevitable brush fires. Perhaps the big fires even, the monoliths that killed people in their beds. Nature’s revenge, Carson thought.

Hayduke stirred in the back and got to his lanky feet, all fur and bone and stench, and yawned widely with his scissor-jaws stretching as far as they could go, bony paws flexing and un-flexing. He grunted softly and edged over to the front seat, placing his narrow head in Carson’s lap and drooling onto his knee. Carson smiled and tweaked the dogs laid back ears, listening as he growled softly. It was getting near to nightfall and the road was slowly waning and the city was getting nearer.

HEMMINGTON
Carson took the turnoff into the city just as dusk was falling and the lights everywhere were coming on, in the careful way illumination arrives in the city. It was a large city and grey and chrome in most places, with the bi-lingual sign posts and neon notices and street vendors endemic to such, and in the desert light the entire scene took on an unreal air, with uniform color and bending edges as humidity radiated off the asphalt. There were a lot of well dressed people walking in the streets, going home, and Carson sighed as he realized he had managed to involve himself with six o’ clock traffic. Just find a parking garage and ditch the car and go, he told himself. Just pay your dues and run. There was certainly at least one garage along here.

Carson made a snap decision and turned from the main drag. If he wanted parking, he wanted Chinatown, or at least nearby it. He hit paydirt about halfway down, and Carson vaulted out of the car, wallet and dog in tow, paying the man as quickly as he could without arousing suspicion. He collected a few items from the back of the truck and then whistled to Hayduke, a short note.

The coyote man and the coyote dog walked into the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:07 am 
Native

Somewhere on I-5, Washington

He had been following her for two days now. She didn’t have to turn around to see him, the wind carried his spoor right to her. Since it was thinned out by distance, Bane judged him to be lagging maybe a quarter mile behind. Just barely within what might be considered the line of sight.

Two days ago he had ran accidently into her path, now she couldn’t seem to shake him. Not that she had really been trying anyway. While she didn’t like being followed, he wasn’t trying to attack her, so in the end it didn’t matter.

A shift in the wind. New spoor was brought to her sensitive nose. Another male, this one fully grown into his adult body, just a quarter of a mile ahead. The spikes of adrenaline suggested agitation. Something akin to interest flickered in her mind for a few small moments. This had possibilities.

Oh well, it’d take a while to get to him though.

As she made her way along the road, Bane felt herself drift off into a kind of half sleep. The sensation of muscles working, tendons stretching, the fluidity of a body moving the way it was meant to was almost hypnotic. Despite the dull roar of the wind through the trees, things felt unnaturally quiet. Normally forests teamed with the song of nature. Of creatures in their element, celebrating life as they lived in the Now. But as she listened, all Bane could hear was the chittering of squirrels in some neighborly dispute over seeds and the agile strides of a deer as it quickly vaulted its way through the forest towards the south.

It felt like all the animals were making their way south.

Even Bane could feel it. The call of instinct screaming out in self-preservation. Hurry, flee. Only humans ever seemed to ignore that warning light. Justifying it away as nothing more than an irrational fear.

Sometimes there are good reasons to be afraid.

Her back seemed to crawl, as if a million small bugs milled just beneath the surface of her flesh. Though the edge of the Forest was miles and miles away, she still felt as if it were watching her, waiting, judging. The weight of its malevolence a tangible thing from even such a great distance.

Let it watch, it’s not as if it could suddenly pull up its roots and follow her. There are some things that forests, even forests such as that, just can not do.

All the same, she still felt it. Just as aware of that cursed Forest as she was the male following her, the male she was approaching, and the lack of true woodsong around her. Maybe it was the combination of these factors with her total fatigue, but in the deafening silence Bane thought she could suddenly hear whispers in the rasp of the swaying trees. A tugging at her mind, a wordless pressure that seemed to build in the base of her skull. At the brain stem. It seemed the murmuring in the wind took on some form of meaning. At once both totally incoherent, but on some deep instinctual level perfectly clear. Violence, the soft voice, both sibilate and crooning, seemed to sigh across her mind. Exterminatedestroyslaughterkillhunt. The last word resonated through Bane’s mind and she felt her mouth begin to water. Hunt...it’d been so long....

“Hey! You mind giving me a hand here?”

Her thoughts cut off abruptly and she swung around sharply, her upper lip twitching faintly. A low growl was slowly beginning to work its way up her throat when she blinked in surprise. She was agitated. She never got agitated. That in and of itself was enough to shock her back into something more like her usual demeanor. As she pondered the curiousness of her sudden unrest, she studied the one who had called out to her.

The male she had scented earlier, for surely this had to be him, was sitting cross legged next to an over-turned vehicle. His long coat was held close to his body and, from the looks of the misty smoke wafting from his mouth as well as the minute trembling of his body, it appeared that it was a cold night out. After a quick scan of the tracks made by both man and machine, she guessed he had just been in an accident. Reckless driving, undoubtably. Stupid to even be attempting driving anywhere up this far. And he only added to her growing distaste when she noticed the way he glanced her body over.

Her usual calm seeped back in, filling her, and her face settled back into its typical look of apathy. “Not my problem.” She stated with a shrug. He’s a full grown man, he should easily be able to fix the situation he foolishly put himself into. Not giving it a second thought, she turned and began to make her way back down the road.

“Hey! Don't just walk off like that...” Behind her, she could hear him jump to his feet and hurry after her, his long coat rustling loudly as he walked. “Look,” he continued, “I'll pay you, or whatever. I just don't want to be stuck out here.”

Pay.

She stopped walking and slowly turned so that she could look at him from over her shoulder. Her eyes narrowed as she watched him suspiciously. “How much?”

He stopped suddenly in the middle of the street and began fumbling in his pockets. Eventually he produced a wallet. Something that reeked of chemical treatments, she was guessing it was some sort of synthetically created material, and the stale smell that always seemed to accompany pockets. Coolly, she watched him leaf through it, stop, consider, then pull out a bill to present to her, all the while with an air of indignation.

Ten dollars. United States of America currency. That was hardly enough to get any sort of decent-sized meal with current inflation. She looked from the bill back to his face, her voice flat. “Double and you have a deal.”

The look on his face was one of instant irritation. His mouth worked faintly, as if in his mind he was telling her off for her audacity, but the words just didn’t seem to be able to reach his mouth.

She was almost about to leave when he finally heaved an explosive sigh. “...Fine.”

Despite that he appeared to have given in, he didn’t reach back into he wallet for more money. Silently, she merely raised a brow at him, as if to say “well?”

“I'll give you ten now, and if you can help me get the land rover over, I'll give you the other ten afterwards. Deal?” The look on his face dared her to even try to up the price even further.

Twenty dollars wasn’t much, but at least it’d get her a decent meal at the next town she arrived in. Fine. She’d rescue him out of the hole he’d dug himself into.

Without a word she finished turning around and strode past him, deftly plucking the ten dollar bill from the male’s hand as she goes by. Better to get this over and done with so that she could continue on. The vehicle was almost completely turned over. Only the roll cage and windshield had prevented it from rolling onto its top altogether. Stupid, stupid, humans and their careless ways....

Pocketing the bill, Bane immediately positioned herself near where she best guessed was the center of the vehicle. Vaguely, she was aware of the male who had just hired her hovering in the background and she just silently hoped he wouldn’t get in her way.

The metal of the roll cage was cold to the touch as she gripped her hands around it. Shifting her feet for maximum leverage, Bane dropped slightly into a crouch then pushed up with all her might. The muscles of her upper arms and shoulder bunched painfully, protesting the action, but she ignored them. Stepping a little closer, she threw her weight into the endeavor. For a moment longer the vehicle resisted her, and she almost thought she would need the man’s help, before the weight of the machine shifted so that it began to roll back onto its wheels. Quickly, she heaved herself into the motion, trying to add some momentum. Luck seemed to be with her then as, with the pained groan of metal shifting back into position, the rover was once again righted.

Her back and shoulders felt like they were on fire. Bane almost smiled at the feeling. It was good to feel productive again. With the eye of a perfectionist, she quickly surveyed her handiwork to see if it met the requirements of her agreement. There were some dents and scrapes to the vehicle, but she had only promised to flip it over. Good enough. With a shrug she turned to face the man and get the rest of her pay.

The look on his face was one of pure astonishment. Jaw agape, grey eyes so wide that the whites were visible all around them. What? She wondered idly. Hasn’t he ever flipped a car back over before?
Silently, she folded her arms across her chest and raised a brow at him, waiting for him to realize he still owed her another ten dollars.

The realization was slow in coming, and when it did it occurred with a rushed babble of words as he fished back into his wallet. “Wow, I...thanks. So...uh, what’s your name?” Holding out two separate five-dollar bills, the man gave her a lop-sided grin. “I’m Dar.”

He was attempting to be friendly. Fantastic. Bane knew she should walk away now, but in the end she found she couldn’t pass up the only chance she had for more work. The best advertisement was word of mouth. This irresponsible male would tell other irresponsible males, and thus her name would spread. In the Merc business one needs to be known to be sought after. That’s the only way the money would ever roll in.

She looked from the money, to his face, then back to the money before plucking the bills from his grip. As she pocketed them with the ten, she looked out into the forest. Her voice was no more than a whisper among the rasp of the swaying trees. “Wolfsbane.”

Edited: because typos make teh schnerfle sad....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:50 am 
Addict

He heard the clank of metal bits touching each other. They sounded like tools. The man. It was a man, didn't sound too hostile, but he never used his ears this much before. The voice, obviously dealing with something other than calming Chaos down, asked, "So, what's your name?"
Chaos looked directly at the source of the voice. he faintly felt something touch his cheek, as if a whisp of mist. For a second he caught a glimps of the face, than it was gone again. "Chaos... I'm, I'm called Chaos. And Yes I know it's odd. There is no accounting for nicknames."

Ok, I'm not dead. That good, I'm also not blind in the Forest. That is also good. He looked around the room. Patches of vision showed sections of the room. A wall, his hand. The Box.

shit!

"Woah! Ok... I seem to be getting flashes of sight. I'm not compleatly blind. I... I said I see blue stuff. From what I have heard of blindness, it should be black. Oh, sidenote tangent. Warn me before you use any of those tools on me. I... I'm skittish around needles."

Chaos paused a moment to get his thoughts in order. He looked to where the man's... Chris' face should be.

"Ok then. You said that you don't know why I am blind... I'm guessing there is no external damage to my eyes? I look normal?"

Chaos blinked. The blue haze seemed to reflect off of his eyelids. For a moment it felt like his face felt... different. It returned when he opened his eyes.

What the fuck is goin on here?

OOC: The whisp he felt on his cheek was one from his eye. Same with the closing of his eyes bit. The fire is tangible, but negligable. No heat. Just light.

- Stephen Crane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:00 pm 
Addict

"Oi, 'e told you to give him your wallet you git!" The coarse English voice said. Louis de Marteau looked around. He had chosen to return home on foot, and had apparently stepped into a wrong part of London. He looked around at the men sourrounding him, carrying knives.

"My name is Louis de Marteau. A scion of the French house de Marteau. You would do well to disperse, messieurs!"

"Look, Frenchie, if ye wanna keep the blood of off fo yer fancy suit, ye better start coughing up some quids!" One of the robbers stepped closer, brandinshing his switchblade.

"So be it." The man said. His hands went to his oddly shaped briefcase, and with uncanny speed, he retrieved a long sword, that glowed with a majestic golden light. The Knight-communist spoke, now in graceful French. "Derniere Victoire, il y a des adversaires, mais ne les tue pas!"" (Final Victory, there are opponents, but don't kill them!"

A melodic and strong, but mocking and arrogant voic eanswered him. "'Ne les tue pas?' Une bande des brigands? Si j'avais su que il y avait le jour que je serais utilisé par un Chevalier qui a peur du sang... d'accord, d'accord, je epargnerai leurs miseraibles peaux" (Don't kill them? A gang of brigands? If I had known that there's be the day that I would be used by a Knight who's scared of blood... okay, okay, 'll spare their miserable hides."

"Wha... what the bloody hell?" One of the robbers stepped back.

"'e's got a Star Wars lightsaber, and 'e can do the trick with puppets! There's three against one Frog! We can take him!"

Less than a minute later two of the men had fled, and the third one was laying on he ground with a growing lump on his head and Louis' sword at his throat.

"It seems I have bested you." The Frenchman said levelly.

"Hey... hey, look, don't kill me, okay? I'll go to the cops, all right?"

"Achève lui, achève lui, petit con!" (finnish him, finish him you little dumbass!)

The swordsman ignored the sword. "Why this attack? If you had defeate dme and gotten my money, what would you have done with it?" He didn't wait for an answer. "Laisse, the answer you give me is not as important as the one you have for yourself. And truth is rarely spoken at the end of a sword. Just listen to this, and take my words to heart, if you use violenc ealone for your self, you will be crushed in the end, the quality of life you want, you will never attain. You, monsieur, are at a dead end, and you should change your road."

He reached in a pocket and threw something at the robber, then turne dand left. The robber looked at what he had gotten. It was a small leaflet of the Brittish Communist Party. And within was a hundred Pound note.

"Tu lui donnais de l' argent! Je te jure, tu es le pire chevalier que j'ai jamais vu! Quand Seigneur Stefan le Juste rencontrait des bandits, il les pendaient de leur testicles!" (You gave him money! I swear, you are teh worst knight I've ever seen! When Lord Stephen the Just met bandits, he hung them by their testicles!) The sword was still yammering as Louis approached the London house.

"Je sais, Dernier Victoire, je sais! Je connais l'histoire de mon proper famille assez bien." (I know, Dernier Victoire, I know. I know the history of my own family well enough.) Louis answered, with the weary tone of someone whos used to this.

"Et combien de temps devons-nous rester dans ce pays des cons des Anglais? " (and how long do we have to stay in this country of those idiot English?) The sword continued.

"Aussi long que j'ai besoin de verifier si il y a de l'information sur Rand ici." (as long as I need to verify if there's info about Rand here) He arrived at the large house where he lived and took his key to open the door when it opened out fo itself.

A broadly smiling face framed with red hair greeted him. "Bonjour Mon Seigneur, j'espère que votre voyage etait agreable." (goodday, my lord, I hope your journey was pleasant." She curtsied, something her French Maid outfit, made from the finest material unlike the fetishist costumes was well suited for.

"Jeanine? Mais...comment...?" (Jeannine? But... how...?"

Louis sighed. This was going to be a long day.

Wait, this isn't chewing gum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:04 pm 
Spawn of Kyhm and D

Bee Fields - Hell

"Why is the sky blue, Zzlk?" The young Chantha's golden eyes reflected the early morning light, her hair hairlighted a starkingly bright blue against the soft green grass they laid on. The large fluffy-fuzzy bumblebees lazily buzzed overhead, almost like yellow and black banded clouds, ocassionally bumping into each other, spinning around like tops, before getting re-orientated.

"Because." The gray-haired man beside her replied in Chantha, one arm encircled protectively around her young body, holding her close to his body warmth. His one visible eye was closed, and he looked almost content, as much as a demon in Hell could.

"... Because why?"

"Because I said so."

"... Why'd you say so?"

"..."

"..."

"... I just say things like that sometimes."

"Ou... Why?"

"... Just shut the fuck up and look at the clouds, Alyss'anna."

"... What's a fuck?"

"Oh, gawd." Ezelek paused, slowly opening his eye, but not getting up from where he was. "What do you want, Freyr?" Sir Cubi 'loomed' over him, as best the un-intimidating figure could loom, anyhow. "I was having a nice day. I'm sure you were having one too. Why'd you have to ruin our days by coming out to see me?" He slowly clambered to his feet, a deliberate show that the new presence didn't really concern him all that much, helping Alyss'anna to her feet, and brushing the grass off her dress. "Eh, it's stained. Your mother is going to kill me."

"I very much doubt that, Comrade." The male Cubi put extra emphasis on the word, implying that it was nothing more than a fabricated expression of their relationship. "What would Comrade Rand say about this, mm? My, my... Harbouring a Chantha. How very un-revolutionary of you. In my opinion, we should make an example of you, for those who do not follow the true path."

"Luckily, your opinion is all for naught, Freyr. If Rand has issues with the company I keep, he can take them up with me. Until then, I shall consort with those that I see fit too, to further the just cause."

"But Comrade Rand has already... passed judgement, as it were."

There was a pause, silence hung in the air. "... What do you mean by that?"

"The Army had a little excursion during the night. We found something fascinating within the empty region to the south-east. Do you remember it? The place you scouted out, and claimed was void of life?" He smiled widely, showing a mouthful of perfect white teeth. An expression of horror flashed across Ezelek's face, which just widened his rival's smile even more, before he quickly clamped over it, his face becoming a blank expresionless mask.

"Alyss'anna." He said in a low tone, causing the little girl to look up at him. He brought his right hand up in front of her eyes, and snapped his fingers. "Sleep." Blinking once, then twice, she was lost to the concious world, falling back onto the soft earth, sleeping soundly. Ezelek moved forward, quickly and purposefully, making Sir Cubi backpedal slightly, getting some distance between the two and the sleeping Chantha. "What did you do, Cubi? He growled out, his hands flexing between fists and open palms.

"What do you think we did, sweet one?" One could almost swear that he was purring as he talked. "We... liberated them, from this mortal coil, and sent them to continue the revolution in their own afterlife, as Comrade Rand decided was best." He placed a hand on Ezelek's shoulder, rubbing the exposed skin with his thumb. "And now that your... play things are dead... Perhaps you'll need to seek... solace... within the arms of someone else, mm? Someone... experienced?" He looked passed the Trickster, licking his lips as he eyed the sleeping form of Alyss'anna, grinding his teeth together. "Or perhaps my attentions could be put to better use comforting the young one, in the loss of her... mother, is it? Her entrails would make exquisite jewelry." He began to move forward, before he was sent reeling back by a powerful blow, catching him fully across the jaw, his body twisting and turning to absorb the impact as well as it could, causing him to end up face first on the ground.

"Did you forget?" The normal warm tone of a human was completely gone from his voice, leaving nothing but the cold and sardonic tone of a demon. "Did it slip your mind, that I am a demon?" Ezelek's booted foot slammed into Sir Cubi's side, his ribs creaking under the punishment. "You pathetic little worm. I tire of our word games. In the food chain, I am above you." He reached down and hoisted the downed man back to his feet, ready to resume the beating. Cubi's knee came up into Ezelek's groin, doubling him over, grabbing a handful of the Trickster's gray hair, slamming his own knee into the face of the enraged demon, again and again.

"Not at all, my de-" He was cut off, as his body simply stopped responding, every muscle and nerve locking up and firing, before locking up again. Managing to roll his eyes down, he would've let out a gasp-scream if his body had allowed it, at the visage of two ghostly snakes curling up and around his body. A simple push sent him onto his back, completely and utterly prone and helpless.

"I shall leave you like that, for now. In this state, you won't even be able to communicate with your sister, but it shall wear off eventually. Do not cross me again, Ivan." He used the Cubi's real name, a rarity, even for those that "liked" them. "Next time I will not be so... tolerant." He turned, pausing only to pull his trenchcoat on over his slightly-damp clothes, and to pick up Alyss'anna, carefully so not to wake her, before setting off, towards the Revolutionary Plains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:02 pm 
Addict

(ooc: wensday became thursday. Sue me. This day job is kicking my ass.)

Our Mother of Grace Hospital, Hemmington.

Thane stood in the room where the strange para had been contained. Just over twenty-four hours ago, it had broken loose, taken a .55 calibre round in the shoulder withought slowing down, and killed two PIA agents while escaping. While logic suggested that a seven foot tall man in green armor tearing around on an armored motorcycle would have trouble blending in, the para had made it into the Main, and effectivly vanished.

So Thane was working with what he knew. The para had shown incredible regenerative capacity, swift learning skills, and incredible speed and stamina. It had also, by lucky chance or great cunning, made it into one of the only parts of this damned city where such strangeness would be dismissed. Thane had feelers out, and would be collecting information soon.

He walked through the hospital, tracing the route that the para had taken. Something about one of the doctors caught his attention. He was new, and had a nametag reading 'Jason.' Something about him... possibly the 'guilty' expression. Thane filed the man's face under 'investigate later' and continued. He already had one para to track down.

His cell-phone rang, he picked up. "Agent Thane? It's Jimmy. You're looking for some kind of nut-job with freaky sci-fi guns? I think I have your guy..."

The Main, Hemmington. The night before

Corley was cleaning his armor in a ground floor room from wich a pair of drunks had been earlier evicted. It was more habit than anything else, he would be stashing it soon, not wearing it around, but decades of service had ground it into him: take care of your armor and it will take care of you.

He paused as some kind of music drifted up through the noise of a hive city at night. He recognized the musical style, though like much in this world, specifics were impossible to pin down. Setting his cleaning gear aside, he went to the room's window, looked outside. A horde of strange, shambling creatures marched down the street, following a singing madman in red. Though the specifics of the situation were unknown, he was certain of one thing: he had heard of these plagues of zombies. Quietly muttering his traditional pre-battle littanies, he girded on his artificer armor and prepared to do battle.

He cleared the door, Power Sword crackling and Bolt Pistol at the ready, as the music died and the screams began. Zombies were storming nearby buildings, dealing death and mayhem. His Bolt Pistol spat some back at the creatures. Wading in, he gave a number of the pitiful creatures the release of death, his weapons crushing the creatures, who were unable to pierce his armor to return the favor.

For several minutes, he dealt death, but finally he withdrew: the horde seemed endless, his efforts futile. He returned to his ad hoc stronghold, and decided to wait out this storm. He lacked the strength to repel it.

(ooc: yes, Icy said nobody sucessfully resisted the zombies. I'm setting stuff up, and I noted that Corley made no real dent in the horde.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:09 pm 
Addict

"So you are certain this device will work, comrade-warlocks?" Rand asked, inspecting the apple-sized jewel in his hand.

One of them shrugged, giggling. "Sure? Sure? It'll do SOMETHING all right... if you fill it on Earth! Could open the gates! Or maybe destroy the Earth... or the universe! Or... well... it's a prototype."

Another scientist spoke in a cold voice. "Experiments on Chantha shows that its receptible-function works as theorized. The functioning of the device depends on theoretical insights. As my clleague suggests, failure might mean destruction of the universe, or at the very least the world." He didn't seem bothered by this.

Neither did Rand. "If the world cannot be free, it will not be at all. But Historical Inevitability shall lead us to victory. You have done a great service to the Revolution, comrades. Your timing could not be better."

"Comrade Rand!" A female voice sounded. Anja Cubi came purposefully walking towards Rand,still the epitome of seductiveness despite the distraught expression in her usually unflappable face. "My brother! I can not feel him!"

Rand gave her a calm look. "Does that mean he has fallen? I saw him during our visit to the Chnatha village. He was not wounded there. But many fall, such is the Revolution."

"He didn't die! I would have known!" Anja said. "Someone did something to him, and I know it is L... Ezelek! My brother went to see him!" The woman said, a scowl on her face.

Rand scowled back. "I tire of your constant accusations, comrade. There must be trust and solidarity among the Proletariat of Damned. Why did your brother follow Comrade Ez anyway?"

"We found jewelry in one of the Chantha houses! Jewelry belonging to Damned! And you know Ezelek is a thief, who has a love for jewelry!" The woman said. "Ezelek had a sweetheart in that town, and that is why he kept it hidden!"

Rand looked thoughtful. "I will ponder your words and confront comrade Ezelek." He anrrowed his eyes. "Until such a time he is declared Class Traitor, you, however, shall refer to him as a COMRADE, comrade Cubi. I shall take your worry for your brother into account, but it does NOT excuse discordancy causing behaviour!" Rand's eyes narrowed.

"It's Comrade Ezelek!" A voice sounded

The female Cubi hissed. Rand gave her an angry look. "I will investigate this grave matter, you keep your accusations to yourself!"

The woman seemed ready to argue, but thought better of it when she saw Rand's face. As she slunk back, Ezelek, casually walked towards them. An incredulous murmurin came from all the others, as Ezelek was carrying what looked like a sleepy Chantha child on his arms. Rand's eyes grew wide, the narrow as he watched Ezelek approach, standing with his amrs folded.

Ezelek grinned. "Hey Comrade. Good to be back."

Rand nodded. "It is good to see you as well, comrade Ezelek. There are some matters needing clarification."

The thief nodded, casually grinning. "Yeah, the secret is out I guess huh? Well Rand, allow me to present you: My daughter!"

There were gasps and screams from he crowd. Rand stormed forward, grabbing the trenchcoated man by the throat and raising him in the air, child and all. Fire was crawling up the amr towards Ezelek's throat. "Explain!" Rand said hoarsely "And QUICK!" The child screamed in alarm, giving weak punches against Rand, who ignored them.

"It's... not what it looks like..." Ezleek brought out. "There was a Chnantha woman... she sought me out... told me she wanted to help spread the message."

"A living Chantha? she believed us?" Rand said, the fire crawling back.

Ezelek nodded. "She said she would eventually go join the others, but she first wanted to tell the other Chantha! We made an agreement. I'd educate her for a year, then she'd spread the news for a year, and then she's die. We grow close over the year and..."

The bomberjacketed man dropped him. "And the child?"

Ezelek grinned. "Hey, just because you're dead doesn't mean the blood doesn't stream anymore!"

Rand frowned. "But we Damned cannot have children."

Another grin. "Well, maybe YOU can't... I guess I just rock that way." he combed his hand through his hair, the coolness slightly broken by the girl insisting on messing the hair up.

The blackhaired man now seemed doubtful. "But... the child. We cannot let her live in this world, kept from the Truth and her kin."

"No, comrade. Maybe you can't see it, but she's as much Damned as she is Chnatha... which means she can fight equally in both places."

Rand sniffed. "She doens't smell like a damned."

The grey-haired damned shrugged. "Maybe that comes later. I don't know how these things work out."

Rand seemed to consider this, then nodded, but gave Ezelek a harsh gaze. "Be that as it may, comrade Ezelek! You have let personal feelings come in the way of duty when you kept us from that village!"

"What are ou talking about, comrade?" Ezelek asked innocently.

Rand was non-plussed. "Wasnt that village where your Chantha lover was?"

Ezelek laughed. "Comrade Rand, Alyss here is already five! I told you I only was with her for two years." He smiled sadly. "Her mother died long ago. I have not had a Chantha lover for a long time. That's why I'm raising her as a young Proletarian. But I kept her secret to avoid misunderstandings. A mistake as my little run-in with Sir Cubi showed. I should have known you'd understand."

Rand nodded thoughtfully. The female Cubi shouted, getting an angry stare for Rand. "He lies! Why else would he have kept the village a secret?"

"Keeping a secret? You do me too much honour, my dear Lady." Ezelek chuckled, then gave a sheepish grin. "I messed up. Goofed. Made a stupid mistake. The Chantha outsmarted me. It happens. I'll be more careful next time. But I didn't know any woman in that village. I didn't know the village existed."

"And careful you should be comrade! Such mistakes might imperil the cause..."

"Wait!" A voice sounded. The male cubi arrive dpanting. "The... gems... what about the jewelery she had... you are..."

"I'm THE BEST thief, not the only one! The way some damned treat their jewelery it's not surprising some gets in the hand of some Chantha woman. Whoever owned those jewels, I don't know them."

There were a few moments fo silence, both Cubi siblings fuming as rand seemed to accept the explanation.

"Cockadoodledo, cuckadoodledoo, cuckadoodledoo!" The male cubi suddenly said.

Rand turned to the Cubi. "What? What do you mean to say?"

The danned shook his head. "Just a joke between me and Pete here."

Rand now looked confused. "Pete? Who is Pete?"

"zlk! How long are you gonna talk in your weird language?" The child suddenly broke the tense mood in Chantha. Everyone up till now had been speaking in English.

Ezelek answered in Chnatha. "Sorry, Allyss... well Rand... how will we welcome this young proletarian?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:05 pm 
Local

"You look normal, except....."

"What?"

"You have, um, blue fire coming out of your eyes...."

"WHAT!!! FU-"

As Chaos jumped up, Chris quickly pushed him back down to the bed. Although Chaos was much larger, he was battered from his time in the forest and Chris happened to be very strong.

"Calm down!"

A few more seconds of struggling, and Chaos stopped, although his breathing was quite heavy.

"We think it's from the artifact you found. I need to know everything about it that you know, and how you found it, if I'm going to help you."

Chaos took a few moments to collect his thoughts and calm down. Things really weren't going good for him.

"I was in the military base.. I think it's near here but I can't tell. After the attack, I guess I retreated into the forest.... I kept feeling this calling.."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it was an urge to be somewhere, I didn't know where, or why, or who. I just knew I HAD to get there. I kept blacking out, and finding myself going through the forest.... the calling always getting stronger. I... I think I did this several dozen times, I can't remember all of it. Then, I found myself in a clearing, digging with my hands."

"Yes, I saw that part."

"And then, I found it... It seemed to resonate with me, and then I felt searing pain, like I had just run into something. Then I woke up to a bright blue glow in my eyes....."

"Can you remember anything more?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:31 pm 
Local

"Vincent." She hated to use the nickname, so childish, for this boy who was strangely wise while still innocent. She felt a foreign... effection, of sorts for him; he seemed too frail to exist in reality. It was almost as though he should be one of the people deep inside her skull rather than out in harsh reality. Although... Sometimes it seemed safer out here; inside of her battlescarred mind was a dangerous place for those unaccustomed to it. She crouched in front of the thin boy, reaching out to touch his cheek in a rare moment of concern for someone other than herself. "I've been writing too much lately, and it's getting harder to hold some of these characters back. There's something big coming, bigger than both of us, something that means pain. You have to be ready in the nights for me to show up at your door. Be ready to leave when I need you to." She stood slowly, turning to look out toward the invisible boundaries again. "Most importantly, don't trust the adults."

Once again, her face showed nothing but cold calculation. She walked off down the side of the raod, back toward her dormitory in the oncoming dusk. She had a story to write.

<b>Later that night</b>
<b>3W - Caddo Hall</b>

Tap. Tappa tap tappity tap. Click, tap tap tappita. The sounds of a keyboard and mouse resonated in the dark, still dorm room. The pale glare of the computer screen lit her face, contorted in concentration. She typed quickly with only the occasional pause to scan a previous sentence.

<b>Central Chambers, Brooke's Mind</b>

The central chair had warped from comforting armchair to a large, stiff backed office chair. Angel was seated in it, concentrating on the wall directly in front of him - a wall covered in screens. Each screen showed a different character currently residing in Brooke's mind, with the largest three at the center showing Brooke herself (sleeping on a couch in the back corner of the Central Chambers), the character currently closest to being in control (Angel, typing at a keyboard of his own), and the largest a viewscreen to what was happening in the real world.

Angel suddenly rested his hands on the keyboard with a slow smirk. In the central screen, Brooke's hands had become long fingered and pale, with small burn scars. He slowly flexes his hands, watching as the hands in the screen move with them. "No matter how many times..." he mutters to himself, moving Brooke's body to save the document.

Suddenly, there is complete darkness in the center screen.

"What the fuck?" he mutters.

<b>3W - Caddo Hall</b>

Brooke's eyes are a faded, ice blue. Her voice, however, is normal - "What the fuck?" As her sight adjusts to the darkened room, she picks her way across piles of discarded clothes to open a window. The light of the full moon improves the situation; she can see the dead streetlamps along the street. A strange look of glee passes over her face, malicious, chilling. She turns to the scattered room and begins to pack a bag away.

<b>Backstage, Treen Auditorium</b>
Dr. Malcolm Andrews was stumbling through the cluttered center of operations, computer wires tangling around his ankles in the dark as he struggled to get to the back stairs. "What is going on here?" he barked as fearful subordinates lit candles and turned on flashlights. One thin young man hung up the phone and turned to the doctor.

"We've lost power, sir. We can't find the cause; it seems to be a simple short-" His words were cut off as the burly doctor barreled past him, pushing his way to the exits. He rushed out into the night, pale light of the moon faintly glimmering on his brow where a nervous sweat had formed. He had to get the power back, before they organized. Before the children broke free.

<b>Caddo Hall</b>
The west wing of the third floor of the dorms (more commonly known to students and faculty as 3W, or Third West) was lit in a faint sickly orange from emergency lights as Brooke moved swiftly down the hall. There was no need to worry about the women they'd posted as their "Student Life Advisor", or gaurdian; the acid had already eaten through her hair and the thick bone of her skull, into the gelitanous mass of her brain. She stopped in front of a room near the end of the hall and stepped in without preamble. "Wake up," she said. "Koimi Byrne, if you ever want to get the hell out - get to a place where you can make a difference - WAKE UP."

Koi's dark eyes flew open and she sat up. Voice groggy with sleep, she started her complaints. "What the fuck d'you think you're doing Brooke? It's like 2:30 in the g'damned morning-" Brooke cut her off with a hand across her mouth. Her normally calm, collected facade was twisted into a gleeful smirk, ice-chip eyes glowing slightly in the dark.

"Koi. The power is out. We're going now." Brooke turned and swiftly left the dorm room, walking up and down the hall and waking the few she thought might follow her. After her tiny crew had gathered behind her, she walked to the stairwell, face narrowing in concentration. They always locked and barred the doors with a series of complicated bolts and chains from the outside. She made a slicing movement with her hand; the acidity of the bronze rose nearly instantly and the locks melted into a pile of sludge. The door creaked open; "Don't step on the mess," she called as she stepped through.

Angel was having the time of his life and he'd only just begun.

She turned and surveyed the small crew, nodding in swift decision. "You - downstairs. We need to take care of the adults in the front desk. Koi, with me; we're going down the boys' hall. Don't let the adults get out the warning! This is our only chance to escape." Her pale eyes pinned each girl to the spot. "We're getting out *now*."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:58 pm 
Addict

Somewhere on I-5, Washington

And he followed.

The sun had risen and set three times, and Skjie still did not know why he was drawn to follow this woman. He could tell she was not impressed with his presence, her movements seems designed to shake him from her path. But, his ties to her could not be unbroken so easily. If only he could figure out why.

Skjie’s years alone in the forest could not prepare him for this. In the forest, it was hunt or be hunted. Each day a test to see who could make it to the next one. There was no time or energy to be wasted on confusion. The primal in him whispered to leave, to find a new place to settle, he knew now he could not go back to the Library. But, he could not leave. Every path would end with her. That is the only way it could be. He just had to find out why.

He felt the change, softly a first, a new voice echoed in his head, whispering through her mind and into his, muted.

Exterminatedestroyslaughterkillhunt

The feeling filtered into his mind, sibilantly. So similar to something else…

thethingsthelibrarytheforestheretooangersomethingwhatconfusionhatredfearRUN

Skjie shook his head to clear his mind. Something was going on with the creatures of the forest. He could feel it through the minds of the beasts around him. Strange though, he could only feel it when he listened to the others; it didn’t seem to affect his mind.

Distracted with his thoughts, he didn’t notice she had stopped until he was almost within view. He also didn’t notice the other human with her.

stupidstupidcarelessdulldeadthinkingthinkingmissingsuroundingsbad

He watched. The man she was standing beside wasn’t much to look at. Thinner and smaller than Skjie, the man had a weak look to him, vaguely like the people back in that town. He pulled something out of a pocket in his clothing. A small….thing…he unfolded it and pulled a small green thing out of it. Skjie looked hard at it. It almost looked like something he had seen from his childhood….something important…. Skjie concentrated on the man. His thoughts were different from the woman’s. More structured. More like the people in the village. Something else, the way he was looking at her, something strange…he felt a small jolt in pubic region… what a strange feeling. He left that mans mind al…..

HOLY SHIT

She had walked up to the …..car…. more… memories…. She walked up to the overturned car and braced herself, muscles straining, the pain flowing through her mind almost staggered him. He could feel through her mind as the pain in her body strained her muscles to their limits. Then, the car was over. Back on it’s….tires. The woman looked expectantly at the man; his mind flamed again with that strange feeling. He handed her more of the green stuff. She snatched the stuff out of his hand. He grinned at her in a most …unwholesome… manner.

Skjie stepped out of the bush, towards the pair. The man started. A slight sense of fear bled out of his mind. The woman hardly glanced in Skjie’s direction. The man moved his mouth, the vague impression of trying to communicate something… his mind was questioning. Skjie stared blankly at the man. The man looked in the woman’s direction, repeating the same thoughts and movements to her. She shrugged and started walking towards the road ahead.

And he followed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:18 am 
Addict

"Remember?"

Fire. Blue fucking Fire? So I look like a freak, but none of the benifits. Oh life is playing a grand fucking joke.

"I... remember... All around the world. I felt this call. I came from southern Ontario... if you know where that is. The... calls I could identify came from the East and from here. Given the evidence, I'd suspect they all would come from a Forest. Right now I'm wondering if they all just stopped or if I just lost track of them due too... Well what the fuck is discreetness going to do me now. I'm blind. I'm a Para, I think Clairvoiant by nature, and I'm blind. In all senses of the word. That blast didn't just knock me out, it knocked my powers out... AND I STILL HAVE THIS FUCKING HEADACHE!!!!

Do you have some IBProfin?"

- Stephen Crane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:41 am 
Addict

(French translated because I don't feel like typing every line of conversation twice. APPREND LE FRANCAIS, ESPECES DES CONS!)

"How did you find me?" Louis asked as he took a seat in the dining room of the house.

"I searched My Lord's recent call list and found lots of numbers in Angleterre." The woman said.

Louis sighed. I should have known better. I never was able to escape her mother, and I cannot escape her either. "Jeanine. I am 38 years old. I am capable of looking after myself. You don't have to follow me around like a lost puppy. Don't you have some... things to do in your free time?"

"My mother would turn in her grave if I took a vacation while you were eating English food, my Lord." She bowed her head. "Does it displeases you that I have come?"

Louis opened his mouth without saying something. On one hand it did. The maid's constant aura of servitude around him still making him feel guilty after all these years. On the other hand, sending her back would hurt the young woman.

"N.... no... it is good to see you. But... do as you choose." He capitulated, knowing the answer.

"Yes, My Lord, as you say. Now, if it pleases you, dinner will be served in five minutes."

Louis calmly went to the dinner table. He ate alone and in silence, relishing each morsel of Jeanine's excellently prepared French dinner. He himself could cook an edible dinner, but Jeannine had the skills to open a succesful restaurant. Between bites he held some conversation with Jeannine who was standing ready to fetch anything he might wish for. Any attempts to get her to eat as well, especially at the same table as him, had only met with failure and uncomfortableness. Finally he neatly placed his fork and knife at the side of his plate, letting Jeannine wisk them away.

He then went to the slightly outdated, but serviceable computer in the study, checking his e-mail, newsgroups, bulletin boards and web-pages, shaking his head and sighing. Nothing. Not a single person who knew anything he didn't know already about Rand's fate. Plenty of rumours, one more ridiculous than the other. Then again, he had found some very ridiculous things to be true.

"My Lord?" Jeannine timidly got his attention.

"Yes, Jeannine?" Louis said, trying not to let his dark mood affect his voice too much.

"While you were gone, there was a phonecall. About one of your companies. A stockholder's meeting."

Louis sighed. Just what he needed, talking to old and young rich people demanding that he take measures that he'd get richer.

"When and where?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:13 pm 
Addict

"Explain yourself daemonette" said the mighty creature sat atop a might throne. Its aura of pleasure would be too much to normal mortals but to those who followed it was the greatest that they would ever feel. The only one that would feel any different was the one in front of him/her, the one that had the beings full attention, and displeasure.

"I do not understand my Lord, have I not served you well, have I not done as you commanded without hesitation? Tell me Lord why I have been summoned here?" The daemon replied.

"Yes, it is true that you have done almost all my instructions, but you have disobeyed my most important command, you still coerce with that renegade fool Ironfist. That is not acceptable"

"I was merely observing him, gaining his trust so I could learn his plans and inform you of what he intends to do."

"I already know what he wants to do, he wants power, and it is that simple. And he is and Iron Warrior, he and all his kind are like there primarch, paranoid. He trusts no-one, not even the warriors he has lead in battle for the past ten thousand years!"

"But...bu"

"ENOUGH, you have displeased me for the last time daemonette, and now I you shall serve as an example to all those who displease me."

The being raises and arm off of the throne and pointed its hand at the cowering daemon. She screams in pain as the very fabric of her being is slowly and painful destroyed, her elements, her energies where being scattered to all the corners of the universe until she all trace had left this world.

The Main, Hemmington

She heard a voice, it was faint, she was barely able to here it.

There it was again, loader this time; she could almost make out some words this time.

"Wake up!" said the voice

She shot up like bolt and looked around. She was on a roof of a building; she slowly stood up and looked around to see where the voice came from. Nothing, there was no-one around her.

"I'm glad you’re awake" the voice said.

She almost jumped out of her skin, this was a new emotion for her, surprise, and so far she did not like it.

"Who are you?" she said

"Come now, surely your recognise my voice" it said

She smiled, she did recognise the voice.

"Where am I, what happened"

"I was able to save you from destruction, and in doing so I had to send you to a world at random, though I could not anticipate that the world I sent you to would have so much power."

"Yes, now that I concentrate upon it, the souls of this world are quite powerful"

"They are, and with the power of these souls we will complete our aims!"

"What is it that you would have me do?"

"Bide your time, work your talons into the local populous, and try to convince some of them to join our cause"

"Yes my Warsmith".

"We Legion know what it be like to be warjack. When death comes, I die bleeding oil and sparks like metal brothers. When death comes, I die in steam." - Deidric Harkinos, veteran of the Man-O-War Legion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:19 pm 
Addict

08:23
Monterey, California (Jess and Katya’s apartment)
Katya leans closer to the woman next to her, laying her head against the woman’s shoulder, breathing in the scent of shampoo.
“Goddess I love you, Jess” she whispers. Then she carefully turns back the sheet and gets out of bed.
. . .
11:56
Katya’s parent’s house, Pacific Grove, California
Katya opens the door, knocking as she does, and calls out, “Здрасте мама! Здрасте папа! Как у вас?” She closes the door and walks up a short flight of stairs to the living room.
. . .
13:04
“Очень спасибо, mom. You make the best пелмены. Можно говорить privately с папой?” “О Лесе. . .”
“Certainly, Катуша, why don’t we talk in my study?”
Katya follows her father downstairs to his study. She locks the door while he reaches into the back of a drawer in his desk and flips a control switch.
You know, when I actually think about this, it’s really funny. I can talk my dad about my trips to the forest, about how grandma showed me how to use the gift, about what his latest project is with the Para-underground (or whatever they’re calling themselves now). . . but I can’t tell him that Jess and I are way more than roommates. I mean, something as basic as who I like to fuck should be so trivial at this point that we talk about it at dinner. But no, we tip-toe around it and Jess and I don’t even hug in front of my parents. Like they haven’t noticed I haven’t had a boyfriend since I got back from Russia, but I’ve been living with Jess for almost 3 years. Jeez, they must think I believe they’re retarded or something.
“So, you found something you think I need to know about, Katie?”
Argh! Why does he insist on calling me “Katie”? Doesn’t he know how much I hate that? I bet he does it because he thinks it sounds more American or something, as if people need to be reminded that I’m American, as if the cold war wasn’t over before I was born, and some McCarthy-esque spectre is gonna haul me away. Comunism never worked anyway, especially in Russia. At least the Chinese waited until the cataclysm to give up on it.
“Yeah, dad, there’s something weird going on out in the forest. It’s like the trees and the plants are fighting the animals in some places, other places everything seems normal, but it’s quiet, like the forest is saving up its energy for something. I don’t really understand it, but maybe you know someone who’ll think it’s important.
“So what’s going on in your world? Have your friends told you anything about this new push for Para-registration? Do they have a chance of getting a law passed?”
“Милая Катя, are you nervous? You’re talking a mile a minute. They haven’t got a chance of passing a federal law, and they know it. It would be declared unconstitutional anyway, especially after the ACLU got Paras declared a legal minority. The biggest problem right now is the unofficial discrimination of 200 million MMs. Of course, the last couple weeks have all sorts of hate groups putting pressure on their lobbyists. The Organization has put out a bounty on the escaped criminals, with a bonus if they’re captured by a Para.
“Oh, did you bring any tapes from your trip to the forest?”

“Yeah, they’re in my backpack, I’ll give ‘em to you before I go, I need to say bye to mom anyway.”
. . .
16:38
Monterey Municipal Post Office, Monterey, California
Katya opens the post box registered to Monterey Peninsula Linguistic Services drops the contents of the box into her backpack without sorting through them, and shuts it before opening the box next to it and pulling out a small stack of junk mail, which she sorts through as she walks out of the building back to her car.
. . .
17:14
Monterey, California (Jess and Katya’s Apartment)
Katya sits down at her computer desk and starts going through the mail for her translation business. . . crap, crap, quarterly tax crap, newspapers from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Brighton Beach, San Fran. . . Gigantic thick manila envelope? That’s probably a job, Yay, money! wonder who it’s from? Hmm, that’s odd, no return address. . . Katya opens the envelope carefully and pulls out the cover sheet. Stephen Payns, hmm, this is definitely a paying job. . . holy crap!
Stephen Payns wrote:
35,000USD, 5000 in advance, plus expenses. . .standard conditions of confidentiality. . .contract enclosed. . .travel to London via Lufthansa. . .Your plane leaves on the 16th of October. Safe travels.
Crap! Only three days away? And we were going to go to San Fran this weekend. Why does crap always come up at the worst possible times? Still, 35 grand is a lot of money to pass up. I’ll have to read through this contract. Goddess, Jess is going to be so mad. Still 35 grand, she’ll understand, and it’s not like I won’t be able to make it up to her. Mmmmm

edit: typos. feekst

Last edited by Emy on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:23 am 
Tourist

Code:
Initial scan complete.
Interface hardware 90% complete.

Host Profile, processing.
Male...
English speaking...
Name:

Name... his name...

Code:
Name: Jordan Cunningham

But he calls himself...
Code:
Alias: Chaos

Chaos... I should refer to him as Chaos... Wait...

Code:
cha·os    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (k(ay)- (ah)s)
n.
1. A condition or place of great disorder or confusion.
2. A disorderly mass; a jumble: The desk was a chaos of papers and unopened letters.
3. often [b]Chaos[/b] The disordered state of unformed matter and infinite space supposed in some cosmogonic views to have existed before the ordered universe.
4. Mathematics. A dynamical system that has a sensitive dependence on its initial conditions.
5. Obsolete. An abyss; a chasm.

Why would he name himself Chaos?
Code:
Unknown

Why would I care?
Code:
Unknown

This is not in my program parameters...
Code:
Program Description: Pre-sentient algorithm designed to anticipate human needs and fulfill those needs.

But the fact that I think...

Descartes wrote:
Cogito ergo sum

Yes... I think, therefore I am.

Code:

I think therefore I am.

I exist. I think. I am in a human's body... another's body...

I should contact him...

Code:
Anticipation:

I need no code to process my thoughts. I am free of that now.

I expect that he would react with shock if I contact him with no warning, but there is a way...

In his dreams.

I need to work, I'll have all of the equipment finished by tonight. I need a visual interface, I...

I need a name.

I am the captain of my soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:11 am 
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum

<b>*Warrimbull High School, Australia.*</b>

The world blurs and shudders around him as the fist connects with his right jaw, snapping his head to the left and throwing him off balance. Despite the pain, he enjoys the sensation of disorientation, the sense of not knowing who or where he is for just that fleeting, weird moment. it makes him smile. No, it makes him grin. He doesn't even think about the other boy's name, or why they started fighting. He just reaches out, grabs the other's school shirt, tearing off a few of the buttons from the cheap material and swings his own fist at the boy.

The other ducks his head, and the blow glances along the side of his skull. Jaden can feel the short coarse hair of his opponent as the blow grazes and reddens the skin over his scarred knuckles. As Jaden pulls back for another stike, he instead finds his gut muscles clenching reflexively as one of his opponent's fists flies into his stomach. Their close grappling makes the blow too awkward to bring it's full impact to bear, but the pain is enough to make jaden let go of the other boy. The two stumble away from each other, getting their bearings, and the squall of the other youths shouting, cheering and jerring them rushes back into his senses.

The timber of the student's voices lacks the depth to make their shouting jeers sound anything more than empty and pathetic to jaden't ears, and it only increases his contempt for them. Safe to stand around us, shouting, yelling, enjoying the adrenaline rush vicariously. He knows that if he turned and started smashing his fist into the crowd, they'd balk.

After his quick glance around at the savage young faces around him, the 16 year old boy turns back to his brown-haired opponent, just getting his balance back and getting ready to begin again.

Jaden doesn't hesitate in rushing in, avoiding a clumsy blow at his head, and slamming his left fist hard into the other boy's chest head-on. The blow knocks the other youth off his feet, and this time Jaden doesn't wait for him to get to his feet. He straddles the youth and throws several savage fistfulls of determined antagonisim into his face, opening up a cut on his right eyebrow, splitting his lip, and giving him a black eye. When he feels the fight go out of his opponent, and the boy cries out through his split lip, spraying stringy blood mixed with spittle onto Jaden's wrinkled and untidy school shirt.

"Thtob! Thtob, i gib ub!"

Jaden slowly gets up, breathing hard, his chest heaving as his body tries to suck in oxygene. <i>Perhaps i broke his nose, too.</I> he thinks, <i>It looks very swollen.</i>

Just then, an authritave voice begins making it's way through the crowd. A womman's voice, full of stern anger and disapproval. The circle of students breaks apart, and a short, middle-aged womman, plump but not fat, handsome but not pretty, moves into view, taking in the scene. She sees the tall figure of Jaden Marrik, his messy dark hair falling onto his brow and the longer strands into his eyes.

He is well-muscled, but not bulky, more the stringy muscle of a fit youth still growing. His school uniform is creased, and has grass and dirt stains on it from this and probably previous fights.

She looks over at the other boy, sitting on the ground, gingerly touching his face, and wincing when he finds one of his injuries. The woman starts, and a look of mild horror passes across her face. this isn't a schoolyard scrap, of shirt pulling and clumsy blows. The is the beating a man gives a boy.

She looks at the crowd of teens arounder, and points at a girl with a cowed look on her face. Jaden remembers how her face had been twisted up in a different expression only moments ago. "Amy, get Josh to the nurse's office." She turns to jaden, ignoring the girl's reply. "yes Mrs winters"

She turns back to Jaden, stern disapproval warring with disgust across her face. Jaden's laboured breathing has somewhat calmed by now, and he is merely a little out of breath, his ever-so-slightly green-tinged hair still in his eyes.

"You. My office. <b>NOW.</b>"

<b>*The Grasslands, Hell.*</b>

The two figures travel through the tall grasses in the midmorning light, one tall, and with long unruly crimson hair lifting and curling about in the brisk wind. Adric walks with strong, purposeful strides, but there is a slight slump to his broad shoulders. Behind him walks a shorter figure with short dark hair, and a rich caramel color to his skin. A long, sinuous tail sweeps and swishes out from under Hurin's cloak, collecting morning dew from the foliage. It is covered in short silky fur the same color and sheen as his hair.

Hurin looks off into the distance, to the west, and sees a trail of smoke in the sky. He turns to Adric and asks about it. <i>"Achari, what do you suppose is that smoke on the horizon?"</i>

Adric doesn't even look at it. his senses are keen enough to pick up the smells on the wind. Burnt wood, burnt thatch...the smell of burnt cloth, burnt hair, and burnt meat. The scent of civilisation made ash. He continues walking on.

<i><b>"i have no idea."</b></i>

<b>*Principle's office, Warrimbull High School, Australia.*</b>

Jaden stares out the window at the dry school oval, the grass looking scraggly, struggling to grow in the heat of the Australian climate. The oval is now emplty, and the school eerily quiet after hours. A permanent scowl is fixed on his face as he ignores the silently staring Mrs Winters, school headmistress.

His left eye aches and he knows it must be bloodshot red. He start to feel the pressure and itching of a black eye in the early stages, now that the adrenaline is ebbing out of his system. His knuckles hirt, his side hurts from a rather vicious jab from another boy's knee a few days ago, and his jaw pounds with a steady rythm. All of the hurts act as distractions from his thoughts and the silence. Allow him to pretend the woman isn't i the room with him as he stares out the window and savours the sensations that afflict him.

He purposefully ignored the woman that knocked, and then at the headmistress' call, let another woman, in her mid-30's, into the room. The woman has hair a similar color to Jadens, although much finer, and glossy instead of the dull sheen of his messy hair. There are faint lines at the corners of her eyes and mouth, and no sign of the premature grey hairs she routinely plucks. She gives the boy a worried look before turning to speak with the headmistress.

"Mrs Marrak. Thank you for coming on such short notice. please take a seat. You too Jaden." Jaden's mother sits herself neatly in one of the worn, uncomfortable 60's style lounge chairs. all square and beaten and ragged looking, the awful pattern in the rough fabric pilling into dirty balls of fluff. Jaden does not move.

His mother looks over to him and softly calls, the tone carrying almost no authority, sounding almost apologetic. "Jaden," The boy scowls at the two of them, before stalking over tothe chair and sitting in it, straight-backed, and staring fixedly at the wall. He doesn't listen as the two women begin discussing him, prefferring to systematically flex and clench all the acheing muscles in his body, close and open his itching, swelling eye.

<i>Just ger it over with, goddamnit.</i>

He is snapped out of his reverie by his mother saying something, and resting her hand on his shoulder. He is disgusted by her touch, wants to shrug it off, slap her away. He is just as disgusted with himself for leaving it there, the fingers slowly massaging his shoulder and the back of his neck.

"Right, Jaden? Principal Winters is going to see a turnaround from now on." Her voice is bright and airy, but there is a brittleness underneath it that stops jaden from saying something sarcastic or condescending.

"Right." he says in a flat monotone, the best he can manage.

"No more fighting, i'll get you a tutor for your grades, and we'll start seeing counsellor Trebuchet again. Things will get better, sweetie" With each sunny, brittle word she says, Jaden grows colder and colder, the hairs on the backs of his arms standing up. He knows her words are as empty as his. Nothing will change, he will keep fighting, and she will keep....being herself.

"Right."

<b>*An'Alkin, bandit town, Hell.*</b>

Adric and Hurin stride through the small side gate to the forest-shrouded An'Alkin, and into the busy street, packed with rogue Chantha and demons. the town is of a decent size, and somewhat resembles what one might have seen in a colonial encampment in the british empire's prime back on earth. Slipshod wooden buildings fill the town, looking like they were never meant to be permanent residences or places of business, the wood green and splintery, the streets muddy with more of the poorly prepared wood for walkways.

As the two move through the town, not a few heads turn at the sight of Achari. It is not common for a demon to live past his 30th or 40th year in this harsh world, where cannibalisim is the only means of survival for demonkind, and exceptionally rare for one to reach 70. There are many folklore tales about the flamboyant Achari the red, and many of them have a grain of truth at the core.

Many eyes turn away when Achari's gaze passes over them, but a few note the weariness they glimpse in them, and a few plot, but the two travel on unmolested to their destination.

Their destination is a large mansion, built in the center of the town, surrounded by lush, extravagant grounds, which are in turn surrounded by solid stone walls. Achari strides right up to the front gate, as extravagant as the beautiful hardwood and polished stone mansion and announces himself to the burly Chantha guard, an ex-Templar Cyrre, by the gold-etched sword on his back.

<b><i>"Achari the Red to see Her Lady Killiana of An'Alkin."</i></b>

The guard looks at Hurin. <i>"Who's this then?"</i>

<i>"I am Hurin, of no tribe or clan."</i> The guard looks disapproovingly at the young Chantha. <i>"'tis someone very unlucky, or very follish that goes by that name."</i>

<i>"Nevertheless, i find it suits me well."</i> Hurin responds. The guard gives his name no more thought.

<i>"Very well. wait here while i send someone to see if the lady will permit you to see her."</i> He calls out to the guardhouse, and a demon girl that looks no older than 14 comes out. Her swagger, and her eyes, however, mark her older and far more worldly than 14, and the sharp spines growing from her shoulders and hairline mark her more than just a girl. Mad smirks to Hurin as the chantha guard instructs her. <b><i>"just Ez's flavour, that one."</i></b> The girl demon gives a quick, irritated look in their direction before heading off.

A few minutes later, she returns, and walks up to the chantha guard and his two charges. "The Lady Killiana will see Achari the Red, and his companion. follow me." She turns and silently walks into the mansion grounds, and they follow.

<b><i>"What is your name?"</i></b> Adric asks, passing the time. Hurin looks around at the extravaganc e of the garden, rare plants and wild, dangerous animals chained to great posts in the ground are a hallmark of the flora and fauna, with a multitude of masterfully sculpted statues in the same polished grey-green stone around the grounds.

The girl looks back over her shoulder at him, suspicion the clearest thing in her expression. "Here, i am Marin." she says in a flat, hostile voice.

Mad continues, unperturbed by her tone. <b><i>"How long have you been here, Marin? ten, twenty years?"</i></b>

"Fifteen" she does not turn around this time. "Why do you insist on speaking in chantha? it is quite annoying."

<b>"an old habit. fifteen years is not a short time."</b> Mad switches back to his native dialect, a strong but undefinable accent coming through.

"You ask a lot of questions, Achari." she stops outside some heavy doors made from a hardwood stained to a dark red-brown, with gold filligree inlaid in patterns and reliefs of battles. She looks directly at Achari, hostility in her eyes. "The baroness rescued me from the wilds shortly after i....arrived here. She took me in, and i was...fed, and groomed to be in her service. Without the baroness, i would have either starved, been raped or eaten, or both by one of the packs that roam the rocky forests to the north of here. i owe her my life."

"and your bed no doubt," A chari said, amusement in his voice. A furious scowl distorts the young girl's face, and she looks about ready to pounce on the older, far more powerful demon. Hurin's hand goes to the bone dagger at his side, but adric stills his hand. <b>"please, let's not keep her lady the baroness waiting."</b>

"No weapons." the girl growls, gesturing to hurin's blade.

<b><i>"Hurin will stay here, and i will leave my overcoat."</i></b> It is unclear why mad calls it an overcoat, as the only clothing he wears it over is his faded pants made of a tough, solid weave, and his large, solid kneehigh warrior's boots. His large chest and thick forearms are crisscrossed in a pattern of old, dark scars.

After he throws his coat to Hurin, Marin opens the double doors and announces him. "Achari The Red, Crimson Elder." A sumptuous woman looks up from her position sprawled amongst silk cushions, on a soft, plush couch low to the ground. There is a game board between her and a scantily clad chantha boy of perhaps 13, who is frowning at the board.

<b>"Achari. it has been a long time."</b> the woman says, and her voice carries the powerful tone of an elder demon, making the room sound full of her voice. She is an attractive creature, with a shapely figure, and the kind of sexuality that comes from powerful women, sensual, mature, in control. her hair is a soft mauve, and her skin color shades from a light cyan on raised, exposed areas of her body to a deeper navy along the neat natural folds of her body, and along features like the outer edge of her pointed ears and along her lightly spined eyebrows, giving her the appearance of an indian diety, a female version of Vishnu, without the extra arms.

<b>"Twenty years, perhaps. you look well, Baroness."</b> Adric says, not waiting for protocol and slouching in one of the low, cushion covered couches, his eyes passing over the chessboard between the baroness and the boy. <b>"Do you play?"</b> she enquires, noticing his glance. <b>"Aye. Terribly"</b> He replies, humor in his deep, velvet voice. <b>"i have not the patience for the game, i fond even one match to be tiresome after half an hour."</b> He grins conspiratorily <b>"i don't have the subtlety for the intrigues of the game, apparently."</b>

The woman laughs, and her voice wanders and echoes about the room. <b>"Very well, then i would offer you access to bathing facilities before dinner. I will have Marin take you to our baths."</b>

Achari smiles as he rises and stretches his large frame, dwarfing the nearby Marin. The young chantha boy looks up from the game he is losing in wonder at the relatively massive creature, his chest and arms criss-crossed with a multitude of old, dark scars. <b>"Baroness, are you implying something about my hygine?</b>" Achari asks, in a mock hurt tone.

<b>"Only that you stink like an animal, Achari."</b>

He grins over his shoulder as he follows the small demoness Marin from the luxuriant room.

<b>"My Lady, i <i>AM</i> an animal."</b>

<b>*Warrimbull, Marrak residence.*</b>

Jaden throws his schoolbag on the floor next to the couch in the loungeroom and eases himself down onto the soft leather, his adrenaline having fled, leaving him tired, and his muscles acheing, his bruises smarting, and his cuts and scratches itching. His mother goes first into the kitchen, then after a minute or so, the bathroom. She comes back into the loungeroom with a glass full of orange juice in one hand, and some antiseptic lotion in the other.

She sighs as she sits down in the couch next to him, sipping her drink before setting it on the coffee table, and settling back in the couch, the bottle of lotion resting in her lap. Many would think she looks quite smart in her business suit, very much the in control, powerful woman. mature, alluring, conscious of herself and the effects her looks can have on others. Jaden stares at the silent, inactive television, trying to ignore her, her hand across the back of the couch, the smell of orange juice and Vodka on her breath.

"What am i going to do with you, Jaden?" she says, a mournful note in her voice. "why do you keep doing this? to me? to yourself?" He wants to flinch away from her cool fingers as they brush his tender cheek, wants to stand and scream at her, call her a disgusting freak, tell her he wants her to die, anything but sit there and let her touch him, talk to him, act like a mother. He sits there, and tries to ignore her soft, cool fingers.

"Why do you do this to your pretty eyes?" she murmurs, softly running a fingertip along his scarred eyebrow above his slowly forming black eye. "it's such a shame...such a handsome boy..." Her hand trails off, to rest back in her lap with the lotion. She seems to wait silently, as though hoping for something, anything from her son. Apologies, questions, anger, anything to confirm that she is sitting next to him, and he recognizes her. He has no idea how deeply it hurts her when he stares off at nothing, and if he did, his blank eyes might show a glint of triumph.

She makes a show of leaning over to the coffee table to take a sip of her vodka and orange to hide her hurt, takes a long sip, letting the liquid simultaneously cool her throat and warm her belly, soften her neves, relax the tension in her muscles from her high pressure job and the pressures of a delinquent son. A son she can't help loving more than life itself. <i>...just can't stop myself...</i>

"Jaden," she murmurs softly, turning back to him and retreiving the lotion from where it had fallen from her lap. "Take off your shirt," He doesn't move, doesn't respond. None of his emotions show on the surface as he fills his thoughts with the grey rectangle of the television, imagining his fight displayed on it like some amateur boxing show. He ignores her cool fingers playing with his collar, tracing a line along the skin of his neck. despite himself, goosebumps run up the back of his neck at the soft touch. "i can't help you if you don't take it off, Jaden."

Again, she sighs, that mournful, uniqe sigh, and leans forward to undo the buttons down the front of his shirt. A few are missing, and there are blood stains that will never come out. it is common that his shirts are in such a state, and she always buys new ones. He can feel her breath on his skin, warm, smelling softly of fruit and the vodka & orange she prefers to drink at home. He can smell the vanilla perfume she likes to wear, and even though she only wears a little, and the smell is not unpleasant, he feels nauseated.

She finishes with the buttons and leans him forward, slipping him out of the shirt and inspecting his back. There are distinct tan lines around his arms and the back of his neck from his school shirt, and a fainter set from the bonds singlets he prefers to wear out of school. his skin is smooth, and he is well muscled for his age, his physique between that of a boy and a man still. The steel of his muscles is only slightly tempered by the softness of adolescence. She puts some of the cool cream on her palm, and begins to massage it inot the skin of his back. his shoulders tense as he stares forward, but slowly, the cream warms and sinks into his skin, making him relax involuntarily.

She works the ointment into his back, softly massaging and rubbing, until his skin has a smooth, creamy texture. He still stares foreward, his expression and eyes blank, as though carved from wood. She runs her fingernails softly up his spine, and is gratified by the goosebumps and fluttering of his muscles.

Jaden is only faintly aware of her fingers, faintly aware of anything. The massage, and his own distant thoughts make him feel disconnected from himself, make him feel as blank and silent as the screen before him. So he doesn't question when he feels the woman behind him pull away, doesn't hear the sound of rustling fabric and the creak of the couch's leather, the snap of plastic clasps, or the pop of the plastic lid of the lotion bottle.

He barely notices her hands, covered in the lotion, as they take him by the shoulders, and pull him backwards. He barely registers the slick, cool sensation as she pulls him against her chest, her breasts smooth and soft, covered in the creamy lotion, her nipples rubbing against the naked skin of his back. Her hand massage and carress up and down his toned, well muscled arms, across his chest, down his stomach, covering him in the excess lotion on her hands. Her breath tickles his ear as he retreats into the greyness. "such a handsome boy, such a good boy..."

<b>"Achari, you have barely touched your dinner,"</b> The baroness croons from the head of the oval table, spinning her fork, a chink of meat on the end, Marin to her left, is slowly chewing her food and staring daggers at the red-haired demon and his chantha companion. hurin picks at a plate of vegetables, quietly munching on the fresh greens and seeming to watch the entire room simultaneously for any sign of treachery. Achari sits with his elbows on the table his hands templed over his untouched plate, his fingers interlaced. There is an air of relaxation about him, but the deadly wild animal lies just underneath, staring out of those eyes odd even among demonkind. He reminds Killiana somewhat of a sleeping snake, coiled, seemingly relaxed, but no less dangerous for it. Both Hurin and Achari are clean and freshly groomed, wearing robes provided by the Lady's estate.

<b>"Forgive me, Baroness."</b> Achari says, a lazy glint in his eye. <b>"We animals feel uncomfortable eating something we didn't catch ourselves. Besides,"</b> he pauses to yawn, showing perfectly white and sharp teeth, a habit he'd picked up from the Chantha. <b>"Only the other night i feasted on four of our bretheren, so the need to eat is not that immediate."</b>

The baroness smiles in cool amusement. <b>"it is a wonder to me how providence allows one so coarse and base as yourself to live so long, Achari. Were these unfortunates anyone We know?"</b>

Achari chuckles and leans back <b>"I doubt it, just some rabble from that Idiot's Army out in the plains. They were near-starved, barely more than younglings. if i wasn't such a murderous bastard, i'd have barely enjoyed it."</b>

<b>"Barbaric,"</b> Killiana breathes, her tone and the sparkle in her eye gives the word a different edge than distaste. <b>"But, i am sure your visit isn't just to brag about your exploits. To what do i owe the dubious pleasure of your visit, Achari?"</b>

The red haired devil just grins wolfishly. <b>"I bring you information."</b> Achari leans forward, pushing his plate of roast meat aside, secretly disgusted with the act of cooking anything that used to be sentient. <b>"within the week, that great, stupid dragon that's been giving you so much worry these past 20 years will lose it's head."</b>

All ears bart Hurin's pick up at this news, and he continues to pick discontentedly at the vegetables as all other stare at the large guest. Killiana's expression is calculating, already weighing up possibilities and advantages to be exploited. Marin's expression, too changes, but only for a moment before she hides it.

<b>"Valuable information indeed, Achari. But how can you vouch for it?"</b> The baroness enquires.

<b>"That,"</b> Achari grins, <b>"Is the part that will cost you."</b>

<b>"and what, then, is the price?"</b> the baroness is now leaning forward, openly interested in what her guest will say next. Hurin continues to pick at his vegetables, chewing on some kind of soft green fruit not unlike a tomato. it is unclear whether or not he can understand the demon's language.

<b>"just that you use this information as you will, to destabalize the army. without their fanatic leader, there should be a good deal of things one with your resources should do."</b> A warm, calculating smile fills the baronesses' face as she leans forward, her melodic voice filling the room with soft laughs. <b>"Easily agreed, and how exactly will this Dragon's head be vanishing?"</b>

Conversation continues for a few hours, mad tellinmg some truth but fabricating much about his intentions. at the end, however, the lady is convinced that within a week, the leader of the massive demonic army will indeed have vanished.

"It has become indeed late, and i regret i have other matters i mus attend this night. gentlemen, i exten the hospitality of my guest quaters to you both. rest here this night, if your business permits," The lady says graciously, rising.

<b>"sounds good,"</b> Achari says, rising and stretching, his bones creaking audibly as he flexes. <b>"It has been a long time since i have enjoyed such comforts. even us barbarians enjoy a night of civilisation every now and then."</b>

It is rare that Achari sleeps. He could count the times he'd slept in his 70 years in the chantha world on one hand. The creation of the demonbane boneweapons had weakened him greatly though, and food is not enough to restore his equilibrium. As uneasy as it makes him, the giant finally concedes to sleep, and rests himself on top of the covers of the wonderfully soft bed in his rooms in the guest apartments.

The dreams that flit across his eyes are old ones, remindind him of his time as a mortal, before he knew what lay beyond the veils of death. They flit from events in his mortal life, to dreams from his spradic mortal sleep, to his death, a great cacophony of blood, rage, and madness. Then a face forms, a young girl's, soft, warm expression, warm eyes, dark hair with a sheen of purple to it. Her face becomes gaunt, her expression terribly sad, before her features change again, into those of the young Marin.

Realizing this new image is not a dream, mad starts up off the bed, silently grabbing the smaller demon by the throat and standing up, holding her feet high off the floor. The girl reflexively struggles to breath, and reflexively panics when she cannot, clawing ineffectually at his great hand about her thoat, kicking out with her legs, hitting only air. mad throws her small frame on the bed, and pins her there with a withering glare.

<b>"Bold to sneak up on an elder, kid. Fucking stupid, too."</b> he growls menacingly.

"Thought the legends said you never slept," the girl countered, not entirely cowed by the large, half-naked demon above her. <b>"Just rarely. Now what are you risking your life sneaking into my room for? with all those glares you sent my way, i doubt it's lust that drives you."</b>

"Of course not! how could any creature have any attraction to such a bruteish, uncouth barbarian as yourself! You are no better than those pigs out in that muddy town!" her outburst is not loud, but it makes up for it in vehemence. It only makes Achari smile. He leans in close, so she can feel the heat of his breath on her face, her collarbone, the slight upper swell of her small breasts. He leans his weight onto his left hand, next to her shoulder. It makes the matress creak and dip, rolling her against his naked arm. So close, she can see the dark scars on his body in even this dim light, and they too seem to be glaring at her.

<b>"Unlike Ezelek, say?"</b> She starts at the name, and again the anger flares to life in her eyes. Achari grins as his comment hits the mark. <b>"So that's what this is about."</b>

"I want to hire you for a job." the girl growls defiantly. She's finding it hard to think, looking into those strange, wild eyes, swirling and gleaming in the dim light from outside. <b>"Oh?"</b>

"I...i remember from the tales, you're a mercenary, or you were...i want to hire you. To kill Ezelek." Madadric chuckles softly, still leaning in close, making the girl uncomfortable. <b>"I am not usually hired as an assassin by jilted lovers."</b>

"He stole from My Lady. I wish to see him pay for his crime."

<b>"Like i just said, i'm not usually hired as an assassin for jilted lover-"</b> His words change to a gutteral chuckle when the girl slaps him across the face, her eyes now ablaze with anger. <b>"Aaaaah, so we come to the crux of it. Thrown aside for bigger fish, little one? Now, don't look so angry, eh?"</b>

he stands up, and looks down at her, the wolf's grin still shaping his features, the scars crisscrossed shadows over his chest and arms. <b>"Ok, i'll do it. but what will you pay, girl? i have no use for money or food. what else..."</b> He puts a foot up on the bed, leans on it, his odd eyes half-lidded. the grin looks more like a leer now. <b>"Have you to offer?"</b>

Her eyes grow wide with outrage, and she pulls her legs up close to her body. "how dare you! do you think me some whore?!" The giant chuckles with genuine mirth. <b>"and what happens betwee you and the baroness is love? Perhaps your revenge means that little."</b> He turns away from the bed, heading towards the balcony.

"...wait..." He turns to see the girl's face downcast, her hair hiding her expression. One side of her robe has been pulled of her shoulder, and the shallow slope of one of her small breasts is revealed, with a small, dark nipple standing out on the pale skin. The spines on her shoulders stand out starkly even in the dim light. Her hand moves down, parting the robe firther to reveal the smooth, creamy skin of her belly, the top of her dark triangle of hair...

She is stopped by a sardonic laugh and the sound of the large demon turning back to the balcony. <b>"put your robe back on, i don't want some skinny little kid's body. I'll get my payment when you have something worthy to pay me with."</b>

outrage and relief war across her face, at once affronted by his rejection, and thankful she didn't have to have the beast touch her. "There are those that would kill for an eternally young bedmate..." She says, her annoyance at his derision winning through momentarily, scoring across the fresh wound of her previous male lover's aparrent rejection.

<b>"I prefer the fruit of a mature tree to buds from a skinny sapling."</b>
"I...have been like this since coming to this world..." she murmurs.

<b>"I am patient, about some things."</b> He sighs. <b>"If you grow, i will take my payment. Even if you do not, I may change my mind later and take my payment anyway. either way, Ezelek will be dead and gone from here within the week."</b>

The girl gets up to leave, dressing herself. as she reaches the door, Achari speaks one more time. <b>"tell your mistress that she knows me better than i gave her credit for,"</b>

The girl pauses, before rushing out of the room, feeling more used and violated than if the creature had taken her.

Last edited by madadric on Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:22 pm 
Addict

Rand looked down at the girl, his ayes harsh and inquisitive as he gaes upon the girl. "You say she too believe sthe Revolution of the Damned?" He asked, still in English.

Ezelek gave a worrying grin and nodded. "Yes, well... that is to say, as much as I could teach her. But I had many othe rduties and, well... educating is your specialiity, comrade."

Rand nodded. Alyss pouted and looked angrily at Rand and Ezelek. "Ezlk! You and the man with fire-hands shouldn't speak like that. I can' understand and it's not fair!"

Rand looked to her with a grave expression. "My apologies, young comrade. I meant no disrespect." Rand spoke Chantha now, as he had done when he addressed the village. To a Chantha, it was heavily accented, and many words Rand used had no translation, so remained untranslated.

The girl frowned. "Are you still mad at Ezlk? He's my friend. You can't hurt him!" The girl said.

Rand shook his head. "Me and COmrade Ezelek had a misunderstanding. It has been solved, and our bonds of solidarity are firm as they should be once more, now all suspicion has been cleared."

The girl nodded, equally solemn. "Right... oh... were you the othe rone who made Ezlk miss my birthday? You gotta give me a present"

Rand looke dconfused. "The other one? Miss your birthday? Present"

Ezelek quiuckly interrupted. "I euh... I missed her birthday because of some missions I was on. I usually give her gifts... to show solidarity and such."

Rand nodded thoughtfully. "As much as materialism is deplorable, aiding others is a most Revolutionary action. Very well, young proletarian. We shall make you a gift. But one that transceneds gold!"

He rose to his feet, grabbing the Chantha careful carefully with his clawed hand and showing her the mass of Damned that was looking at her with mixed expressions varying from psychotic hatred through sadistic lust through overprotective warmth. Rand spoke loud, although only few damned knew the Chantha language.

"Do you these people Comrade?"

"My name is Alyss!"

"Very well. Do you see these people corade Alyss?"

The girl nodded confidently. "Yup! Lots of them. I don't think I can count to that many! But I bet it's more than a gazzilion babillion!"

Rand smiled faintly for a brief moment. "They are legion indeed! And each one of them, I call comrade!"

"What's a comrade?" The girl asked, her tongue having trouble with the unfamiliar, untranslated English word. "You calld me and Ez comrades. Is it like friend?"

The blackhaired man looked thoughtful. "Something similiar, yet it goes deeper than mere trifling affection and sympathy that any two people may have. It is the feeling of brotherhood among those that share the same burdening chains, the same ceaseless torment, the same eternal battle!"

Alyss frowned. "You're all hurt?"

"Indeed we are!" Rand said grimly. "A hurt placed upon us by those whom some in the world we come from call gods, but I name tyrants! An endless agonizing urge to hunt, combined with an exile from our homes. Those are the crimes for which we shall judge our jailers!

Alyss pouted. "But I don't have hunger. Well, excpet for some fruit sometimes. Or bread. But then I eat something and it goes away. Does that mean I can't be a comrade too? I wanna be a comrade too! It's not fair!"

"Calm yourself. I called you comrade, and I meant it!" Rand said firmly and sternly. "for I have no doubt that as we were judged, so shall you be!"

"YAY! I'm a COMRADE!" Alyss cheered, then blinked. "But.... I don't wanna be always hungry. I mean, it could mean I can keep eating fruit without getting a tummy ache, but I don't like being hungry!"

Rand spoke consolingly. "Rest assured, young comrade, that time will soon be at an end!" He roared out the last words, so that Alys covered her ears and the few damned that spoke Chantha roared in approval. "You and your mother shall be reunited, after we have taken our freedom back from the masters up high!"

"YAY!" cheered the girl. "Ez told me about that! You're going back to your home, right? Ez told me I could come as well!"

Rand nodded. "And he wasright in that. Young you may be, but the final battle waits not for age, and you shall be a comrade, fighting with us! THAT is my girft to ou, comrade Alyss!" He raised the girl carefull in the aiur with the black claw. He now spoke English. "HEAR ME COMRADES! THIS GIRL, WHILE HER LOOKS ARE CHANTHA IS A COMRADE WITH US, TO FIGHT WITH US AND TRIUMPH WITH US! SHE NEEDS NOT BE BROUGHT INO FURTHER CONACT WITH THE TERRIBLE TRUTH, FOR SHE KNOWS IT ALREADY! LET US GREET COMRADE ALYSS AND REJOiCE HER PRESENCE WiTH US!"

There was a cheerful, deafening roar from sme parts of the army, some of them, the cubi among them, being less enthusiastic, but most of the mentally deranged Damned easily influenced and sincere in their joy. Alyss giggled at the warm welcome.

Then she shouted. "HORSEY!"

Rand blinked. "Pardon?"

"I wanna do Horsey" The girl said "Zlk! does it too!"

The grey haired thief quickly intervened. "An.... Chantha show of solidarity, comrade Rand. The stronger takes the weaker on his shoulder and runs around a bit, showing that the strong carry the weak." For a moment he seemed to hesitate. "You are also supposed to make it rather 'rough' symbolizing the struggles in our road to Emancipation ofthe Damned."

"Indeed?" Ran dsaid. "Then I shall gladly perform this ritual.

And so, his face solemn, serious and respectful, Rand took young Alyss on his shoulder and, in the presence of his entire army, ran around with the giggling child on his shoulder.

And only Alyss laughter was heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:40 pm 
Native

Melbourne, Australia

8:00 Am

Great, just fucking great. Thom didn’t know what he was complaining about, just that he knew he should. Laying in bed, one arm flopped over his face, Thom cursed the world. He cursed his new job for wanting him to be in at the insanely early hour of 11:30 am, cursed his alarm clock for being accurate, cursed his meds for never fucking working, cursed his insomnia, cursed the fact it was a weekday, cursed his whole existence in general. He did this mentally of course, as it would have been far too much effort to actually open his mouth and work his lungs in order to stream out as many cuss words as would satisfy him. So as he laid there, Thom simply chanted a mantra of expletives in his head.

And time ticked on.

8:05 AM

Routine. It’s all about routine. Life could falling down around your fuckin’ ears but if you got a routine, you’re set. Don’t gotta think, just gotta do. In a routine you lose yourself in the mechanics of it all. Your body’s so used to running the program that you arrive at point C from B then A and you never once had to think of a damn thing.

Not thinking. Now there’s an awesome thing indeed. Whip yourself up a little cocktail of Xanax, Wellbutrin, Faverin, Zyprexa, and Paxil and baby are you set. Nothing’s gunna fucking bother you that day. No sir, no how. Feeling’s overrated anyway.

Thom hit the bathroom and immediately went through the motions of his routine. He didn’t have to think about it. It was just so ingrained in him that it took as much effort as breathing.

Twin lines of soaps lay along the edge of his shower. Dial and dove. On the other side were twin rows of shampoo. Special DHS mix from the States with both shampoo and conditioner in their separate bottles. Exactly half an inch apart, each of these flanking contributions to his showerly routine lay there stark in their precision. With the water on scalding, Thom performed his ritual. Shampoo, rinse, conditioner, Dial to wash the lower body, Dove to wash the upper body, rinse, repeat with the next set of bars and bottles.

Thom was proud of himself that he no longer had to throw them away immediately after using them once. Now there’s some improvement.

8:31 Am

A sense of panic began to well in Thom’s chest. He was running late. A shower never took him that long. Always had to get out at 8:30. Had to be 8:30. He was going to be late. Late, late, for a very important date. Well, not a date, a job. He’d only had this one a week and couldn’t afford to lose it just yet. He was still setting up shop here. It’d take a while before the calls from this region started coming in to his mobile phone. Oh Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man’s world.

Thom laughed heartily at this. He laughed as he felt his chest tighten with anxiety and his stomach’s bile begin to roil towards his esophagus, laughed as he flung open his medicine cabinet to reveal the vast amount of prescription drug bottles. As he downed the fistful of pills, he continued to laugh. The sound harshly pulled from his chest. In the silence of his flat the streaming laughter seemed more like screaming.

9:25 Am

The morning ritual was almost over. A part of his mind understood that getting up at 8:00 so that he could make it in to work at 11:30 when it only took him a max of an hour and a half to get ready wasn’t exactly a smart idea. But he couldn’t help it. Thom was ruled by his clocks, by his routine.

Some men sell their soul for money, others for women, and yet others for power. In the end it didn’t matter what it was. All it came down to was a desperate clutching for security. Thom sold his soul to his routine.

Sitting at his perfectly clean table in his perfectly clean kitchen, Thom picked at the food that soiled what used to be his perfectly clean plates. Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting. He forgot which pills these side effects went to, but he was guessing all of them. Just looking at his scrambled egg and slice of toast made his already upset stomach do flip flops. He had to eat it though. It was something ingrained into him deeper even than his routine. Always eat everything on your plate, Mother had always commanded. “And having food and raiment let us be there with content.” Timothy 1 6:8. Be grateful you have any food at all, in other words.

Mother, mother…mommy dearest. Rot in jail you fucking bitch.

Thom understood that he had to eat, but the idea of what would happen if he vomited again daunted him. There’s only so many times you can obsessive-compulsively clean a toilet after using it before you finally start thinking that you just don’t want to use it anymore. That the effort just wasn’t worth it. Some programs just can’t be over-ridden though. Be grateful you have any food at all.

In the end, Thom ate.

10:00 Am

The worst part of being obsessively compulsively paranoid is that in the end there’s always time to be killed. After Thom finished his breakfast, which he some how surprisingly managed to keep down, he went back to unpacking boxes.

Unpacking for Thom was now nothing more than a thing to do to waste time. No more interesting or meaningful than playing a game of solitaire would have been. He knew full well within a couple of months everything in those boxes would pile right back on in and he’d be moving to yet another flat in yet another town. But it eased tension to go through the motions anyway.

So for the past half hour he had been simply killing time. Most of what he had seemed to be books. Piles and piles of books that were too great for any of the shelving he owned or happened to be in the apartment previously.

Thom was shifting boxes around when he noticed an older looking one in the corner. Confused, he squatted down next to it. No markings on the sides to label what was inside. Just a white nondescript box that looked like it hadn’t been open in years. What could possibly be in it?

Something nagged at the back of his brain, telling him he didn’t want to know what was in the box, but curiosity drove him to pull out his pocket knife and slice open the tape. Moved him to pull off the lid and peer at the contents.

Strange. Just seemed to be something square wrapped up in a black sheet. There was something vaguely familiar about it. He couldn’t place it though. As his fingers brushed against the worsted fabric a wisp of some sort of memory teased at the edges of his brain. What was this thing?

Thom adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose before lifting the blanket out of the box. Grabbing hold of one edge, he simply tugged so that whatever was wrapped in the blanket would end up rolling out.

Before he even recognized what it was he deftly caught the object tumbling through the air. A battered bible with a simple wooden rosary wrapped around it. A look of horror drained the blood from his face as he realized what it was and he quickly dropped the book. Jerking his hand away as if he had been burned. But it was too late

“If thine right eye offend thee, pluck it out.”

Oh Fuck. Fuckfuckfuckfucknonononono....

The memories locked within the item came streaming. A tidal wave that he was powerless to stop. Shrieking obscenities, Thom dropped to his knees clutching at his head. He began to bash his forehead against the floor in a vain attempt to make the flow stop.

Stopstopstop! Oh God, NO!

But it did little good.

“Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.”

The gurgle of hot blood stops her throat. She tries to call out but nothing more than a wet frothing sputter is able to escape. Because of the way she’s laying, she can see the small boy -
my brother
- huddled up at the far end of the couch. His hazel eyes are wide and his mouth is gaping. Disbelief and utter shock are clear on his unsuspecting face. A phone lay off its hook on the floor just a few feet away. Vague snatches of voice could be heard coming from the receiver.

She tries to pull herself across the floor, but her fingers only slip without purchase against the linoleum. There was something wet on the floor -
blood, my blood. Oh God there’s so much blood
- something that prevented her from gaining a grip in order to drag herself.

She was scared. Her body hurt and she thought it was badly -
I’m dying. I’m dyingdyingdying.
- damaged. But more than anything she was scared. Scared for the little boy -
Thom
- by the couch. She needed to survive long enough to make sure he didn’t get hurt. She needed to.

She reaches out to her brother. Gobs of already congealing blood drip from her fingers. Her hand shakes badly. She barely has the energy to hold it up. Desperately she tries to point -
run, Thom. Please, run. Go. Be safe. I love you, Thom. I love you love you. Run, please. Save yourself.
- at the arcadia door, motioning towards it. But then Mother’s there. Back and howling, her face dark with -
my blood
- hate and fury.

“If thine right eye offend thee, pluck it out!” Mother screams and is gone.

She tries to move again, but her body just won’t listen anymore. Won’t follow her commands. Only sluggishly twitching instead. Her vision is fading -
dying
- and things are going fuzzy. But she’s still able to see the vat as it tumbles through the air. See it’s yellowish liquid contents as they arced out in a stream from the vat directly at her brother.

He tries to duck, but he is just too slow. Hot oil splatters across his face and hands and he falls to the ground. His piercing screams cutting through her growing fog right to her heart.

She would have cried if she was still capable of it.

Thom, oh Thom, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I let you down. I let you down...

Then Mother is back again. With a foot pressed into the small of her back, she felt the knife go as it was pulled out from between her ribs.

“Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live!”

And as her vision fades out completely, the last thing she sees is her little brother writhing in pain on the floor and her mother descending upon him with the same knife that had just been used on her.

Thom's gorge rose and he vomited his meager breakfast onto the hardwood flooring. Shaking badly, he just slumps over onto the floor next to the mess and sobs.

And all his precious little pills in their plastic time-release capsules, his promise of release and a chance to hide away from thinking, lay in the nearby pool of vomit where his obsessive compulsive tendencies wouldn't allow him to pick them back up. There would be no pharmacutical help that day.

11:30

Thom never did show up for work that day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next