ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:43 am 
Native

*kyhm wanders into the forum dragging a well-used Soap Box of +4 Awe-Struck, drops it in a convenient location, and steps up, rubbing bloodshot eyes. He yawns hugely and speaks.*

Ok folks, I recently got a suggestion that Chris be made a mod on this here Roleplaying forum...

*pauses for reaction... deafening silence. Continues.*

Now, I'm cool with the idea of somebody else modding forums for me, and Chris is probably the biggest roleplayer, so i'm happy to consider it. Takes some work off my shoulders, which is definitely good. So what I told Chr^H^H^H ... ah, the guy who nominated him, was I'd post it here and make it a vote... So, uh, here we go.

Send me a <a href="viewpmsg.php">private message</a> with your vote, whether you want Chris as a mod for the Roleplaying forum or not. Feel free to expand on why you think it'd be a good or bad idea... Voting's open 'till Midnight Pacific Time on Friday the 15th, after which I'll total the votes and post the result here.

OTOH, if you wanna discuss it here then fill your boots... But votes by <a href="viewpmsg.php">private message</a> only, m'kay?

*steps off Soap Box, weaves off in direction of well-deserved sleep...*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:52 pm 
Local

1) Do we really need a another moderator?
2) If we do, would it be possible for whomever starts the thread to moderate their own instead?

Obviously Chris and I disagree vehemontly on the topic of roleplaying, I tend to be more structured and he more free form. I would also be comcerned about he obvious abuses of power that might well come into play...
Now don't get me wrong I like Chris as a person so this is not a personal attack or anything ... lets call it a debate on stylistic differences.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Sinister Chris on 2002-02-17 03:55 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:02 pm 
Native

Quote:
On 2002-02-07 19:52, Briareos wrote:
1)Do we really need a another moderator?

We probably don't need another moderator as such. But really, Poe doesn't moderate much, and I don't moderate much. I suspect Poe has as little free time as I do, probably even less. The culture of this board, transplanted mostly from the EN board, reflects this...

Having a mod who reads and participates regularily might be beneficial. It might be a mistake... Hell, I don't know, I'm making this up as I go along!

Quote:
2) If we do, would it be possible for whomever starts the thread to moderate their own instead?

I'd like to see this, and maybe it'll be in the next version, but this board can't do it... I tried.

Quote:
...I would also be comcerned about he obvious abuses of power that might well come into play...

Good point. If elected, "The Sinister Moderator" would be able to:
- Lock/unlock threads
- Delete threads
- Delete posts from threads
- Get users' IPs from their posts
- Move threads to other forums (but not get them back...)

Now, if he abuses Mod power, people should bitch at me in a private message, or send me email. I can demote Chris as quickly as I can promote him, a fact he should be well aware of...

Edit: fscking [quote] tags...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kyhm on 2002-02-07 21:03 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:37 am 
Addict

As a moderator, I would not use my power to better me or my character, or to lessen any of the other characters.

However, this will help with the burden that Kyhm deals with.

It will not be used merely for altering posts and overpowering role players. This would be immature and child like of me. Almost any problem can be resolved merely by talking things out.

I do see where Bri is coming from possibly being nervous that I may abuse the power, however I would be risking dozens of freindships that I'm not willing to give up that easily.

The power will not be used for initiations or dealing with n00bs.

I will discuss any possible admin desisions with Kyhm before acting on them.

If anyone has any questions of me feel free to ask.

You've got questions we've got answers,
The Sinister Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:57 am 
Local

Ok I will take your assurances and Kyhm's security to heart ..

The question remains : Do we need a moderator?

See if we were doing proper RP I would argue that we did need one but this group seems to lean heavily into a much more free form of of RP. It is routime for players here to write the responses for other players .. something unheard of in other RPs so they use a moderator to trmove any instances of such but we don't so why do we need a moderator.. is it really being a burden of any nature to Kyhm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:12 am 
Addict

As far as I know the enforcing of rules in specific threads involving the roleplaying itself is done by who ever started the thread or is the current ref.

This is to say that for example, Spy starts a secret agent RP and has the rule "No swearing." (Like he'd do that, but this is an example okay...) if someone swears he deals with it and asks them not to, now once it gets out of hand to the point of a total and utter lack of control, that is when the mod steps in.

Until that point, as far as I know, it is up to the judge/starter to figure out.

I might agree with them before that and say "Hey, it is his rule and his thread." But I won't resort to anything more than rift-smacking them.

Rift-smack, to pull something from a rift and smack someone with it.

Does that answer the question?

Still taking questions,
The Sinister Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:26 am 
Local

No it really doesn't Chris .. it not a question of how you would enforce your responcibility/ priveledge .. but rather is ANYONE needed for this task.. what I was saying was that IF we did things one way we would need the position, but as we don't do we? .. Does this make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:28 am 
Local

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Briareos on 2002-02-11 06:48 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:28 am 
Local

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Briareos on 2002-02-11 06:49 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:05 pm 
Addict

I can delete multiple posts.

Theres a great example.

Thanks for the example yo,
The Sinister Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:02 am 
n00b

Chris,

What is your view on the three-post-rule??

DeepWalker

Been gaming since the late 70's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:10 pm 
Addict

Three post rule?

Which one?

How to deal with them?

I'm not sure what you're refering to...

How to deal with the excess posts or how to deal with the person who puts them down?

I just need more detail,
The Sinister Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:16 pm 
n00b

Three post rule:
Any combat action concerning one person attacing one or more others must be done in no less than three posts, this is to allow the other player a chance to react to the attack, if they wish. Any use of less than three posts could allow the attacker to take advantage of others, especially those with slow connections.

concurrent with this, the idea of the attacker posting the targets reply is not only absurd, but allows the attacker to force someone to reply even if they do nor wish to.

In my mind, this practice is totally wrong, and I refuse to take part in it. If combat RP is not structured, then ubergamers can ruin the whole gaming experience for the other, more reasonable players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:27 pm 
Local

I don't see that as being much of a problem here. In fact, I think everyone is kinda used to it! Even if something like that did happen, everyone here is mature enough to say they have a problem with it and work it out by discussing it with the other RP'ers.

Besides, I think it would be interesting to have Chris in control here! Chaos is something thats more fun to deal with than boardom anyday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:15 pm 
Addict

*the effects of the Soap Box of +4 Awe-Struck(tm) wear off, and BiShou shakes his head slightly*

Whoah... okei, lemme see... *nod* Okei, *nods* Uh huh...

Alright, I see it like this... (With a note to all the comments thus far for guiding my actions) Having another mod wouldn't bother me any, though there are a few points I wish to express.

1) Will it only be the RP aspect of these boards, or will other sections be opened to his mod as well?

2) How will you deal with the jealousy and vindictive attitudes?
For example... when a parent buys something nice for one child, the other wants one too. There is jealousy and resentment, and the twocould be broken up relationshipwise. I'm not saying everyone will be jealous, but it is a given that there will be a few hard feelings. And if they wereto try and take it out on you, how would you deal with it? To mod them straight off would show corruption, though to talk doesn't always work out, especially over online sources.

3) When SC moves to Mod-College, can I get his old room?

-BiShouNenKaMi
"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:19 am 
Addict

I remember the three post rule.

I feel rules like that are intirely up to the person who created the thread.

Personally I prefer to go by a certain ammount of days.

As for the whole ubergamers thing. Thats is considered bad form among bad gamers and does have a tendancy to be talked about straight out.

BiShou's questions:

1) Thats entirely up to kyhm.

2) Its more of a responsibility than anything. I feel that I'm fully qualified for it and am totally willing to take suggestions. I hope people realize I'm not in it for the power as much as to help the message board grow.

3) Yeah, just clean up before I get back.

I have four billion dollars,
The Sinister Chris

PS: Can I finish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:34 am 
Native

*blinks, looks up at Chris' post*

1) Just the RP forum. Since RPing isn't exactly what this medium was designed for, we have to work at it a bit harder. Thus Chris can pull multiple posts and delete offending crap from RP threads (see pg 3 of <a href="http://www.keenspot.com/KeenBoard/Forum49/HTML/000827-3.html">Super Mecha War Zone</a> for a shining example)...

I'd like to leave the rest largely unmoderated, ya know, Poe-like...

2) Uh, what he said...

3) Heh, you should've seen the mess he made of Pullman... :wink:

Of course, Ifwe've got three Mods, I'll be waiting for the Rockers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 8:26 am 
n00b

My vote for RP moderator is against Chris. Simply because I feel that RP structure should be all-pervaisive, not catch-as-catch can, which is the way Chris would do it.

DeepWalker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:43 am 
Addict

Now, one last thing before I make this my final answer...

Well, what you've expressed is all well and good... but how would you deal with... (And this is merely speculation) someone entering an RP that's going on about, say a couple people taking over China, and they do things that, although fitting the story and consistant with the regular flow, also happens to verbally slam you in a rather open way? Yet the person may have a valid point.

Aw shit... I think I lost my point... >_o Wait... okei, I phrased that a bit wrong... If someone enters and is goingwith the original posters rules, and is following everything correctly, yet seems to be slamming another player... though you AGREE with the points that this person may bring up... how would you deal with it?

Small example on the fly: Say Tree comes here to have fun (which would be very unlikely and unwelcome) and has some beef with... oh, let's say Enforcer's cart. He enters the thread through legit channels, and even works up a good intro. (again, veeery unlikely) Now... if the points he brings up are offensive to Enforcer, though you find yourself agreeing (Yeah... like you'd EVER agree with Tree like that) How would you handle it? He's put time and effort into his involvement, and has become somehow integral to the plot. Yet so has Enforcer, but he's being totally ripped, along with his cart. You agree with Tree to an extent, but also can't ruin Enforcer's enjoyment. How do you handle it?

Okei... I lied. One last thing...

Regs to the MotherBoard are familiar with the Keenspot Academy, started by myself, and inpired by a comment from Lovely Angel. If ever the need arose, and the population dictated a new forum subsection on ettiquette and board knowledge... Would there be an opening for mad in that? I only bring this up, because a) it was bound to happen that someone else would propose becoming a mod, b) Chris is to RP as BiShou is to learning or the n00bs, c) if ever the population dictated a new subsection, as has been shown with this thread for example, that perhaps other help may need to be enlisted.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm blathering on and on... I'll go stare at the shiny soap-box again.

-BiShouNenKaMi
@____@ Ooooooohhh... shiiiiiiiinyyyyyy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:01 pm 
Addict

If *Shudder* Tree were to do all of the thing that you said and had a valid point...

Now this is if he had a valid point and was just a bit of an ass when he said what he did I'd just ask him to be a little nicer with what he posted.

If it was all legit and not too harsh then there wouldn't be an arguement right?

If any of this sounds like a wrong answer I'm willing to take suggestions.

Or if it was not up to par with what kyhm would like me to do I'll gladly change.

Now what was that comment about catch as catch and pervasive stuff?

Could you possibly go in to more detail about that and maybe not mention which way you vote.

For you make Chris sad.

If you explain what you're talking about and have valid points I'm totally willing to change the way I look at things.

However from what you're saying your vote is based off of how I run my own RP threads.

Most of the rules I go by tend to be house rules.

Any house rules in RP threads are dictated by whoever made the thread.

I merely enforce the rules, not make them.

Did that make any sense,
The Sinister Chris

PS: If Tree came here he'd naturally have beef with me again and I'd be forced in to a god moder battle with him. It would be in its own thread of course.

I'd win with:
Rift Technology
Cloning
Re-Spawning
Healing Abilities
Ill'Tempered

All he's got is:
He Speaks With Trees...
He's a Stupid Head

But we aren't gonna talk about Tree bacause of the deep hatred I share with him.