ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:34 pm 
n00b

Yeah, yeah, you all hate me. Including people who've never met me; the old guys said so and they know best. I'm well aware of my public opinion. Please don't clutter this thread up with posts detailing how much you hate me, or various descriptions of what you're "*doing*" to "*me*"; it would be quite redundant.

Strangely enough, I'm actually bothering to post on a board I largely ignore because youse is getting screwed up the behinds. Most of you probably aren't aware, having abandoned the thread, but quite recently I showed up in the "TREESPEAKER!!!!" thread and announced that I was not, in fact, the Treespeaker that had been posting there and in general being a troll. The Sinister Chris, your duly appointed Moderator, gave us the following post:

Quote:
Before we let this thread die I would like to say that I, being a mod, have the ability to read IPs (Don't worry, its a last resort and no one has pissed me off enough to look at it as more than intruiging) and apparently all of the "Treespeaker" and such posts come from the same IP.

Moderators, as far as I know, can't do anything of the sort. In other words, he's lying. For no other purpose than to make it look like he's being the cool leader and giving that troll Treespeaker the "*thrashing*" he so richly deserves. I hope it's sunk in by now. Your moderator can't moderate. He is demonstratably incapable of objectivly monitoring a board.

Do what you will with the knowledge. But, for heaven's sake, don't just assume I'm lying to save face. It'd be a stupid thing to do. At least take the time to ask one of the other Moderators via a private message or e-mail. After all, if I was lying, then whoever finds out first gets to be the first to laugh and gloat and say I told you so. Now, isn't that possibility (not to mention the possibility of getting rid of a demonstratably abusive moderator) worth taking the time to ask Kyhm about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:44 pm 
Addict

Your full of it. I'm a mod at another board and I can view IPs. What the hell are you on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:13 pm 
n00b

Hell of a note, that. Now I have to wait for Kyhm or Poe to check the IP's and refute Chris's claim. And that could take days. What a pisser.

Oh, well, this doesn't change the fact he's lying, just makes it a touch harder to prove. No worries, though, I've another week before I leave for work. Should be plenty of time to clear my name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:19 pm 
Local

Neither examination would really amount to much. IP addresses generally change quite frequently, even on statically-allocated connections (Cable, xDSL, T1/T3, etc).

Personally, I'm riding the fence. I wasn't around when this ordeal occured and frankly, I think it's silly and childish. We should just let it go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:34 pm 
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by markt18
Personally, I'm riding the fence. I wasn't around when this ordeal occured and frankly, I think it's silly and childish. We should just let it go.

Belive me, I share your sentiments. I did let it all go for a while there; I left the EN forums and made no attempt to follow them when they moved. But a friend of mine asked me, essentially, what the hell I thought I was doing on the new EN board. So I found out someone else (presumable The Sinister Chris) was posting as me. Try to put yourself in my shoes--would you really walk away from someone deliberatly pretending to be you for the express purpose of making you look like an ass? It's harder than it sounds, even on something as inconsequential as an Internet message board.

There's also the question of whether you want someone who'll lie to the boards as a whole to boost his public image moderating, but that's up to the regulars. I just want to prove that the guy registered as "Treespeaker" on this board isn't me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:45 pm 
Addict

Here's the funny thing, whether or not you posted the original Treespeaker posts or not, doesn't really matter. That thread was long dead and forgotten, and in you attempts to 'clear' your name, all you've done is ressurect an issue that is no longer of any interest (and indeed, was never very interesting) and prove that while maybe the portayal of you by this 'impostor' was extreme, it was really very accurate!

So, if you really do have issues with what Chris told you (which in fact was correct as far as his ability to check IP's - Kyhm did it once before in an incident involving a different troll) then for all the assorted god's and goddesses sakes, stop WHINING about it here, and email or private message them so you can be sure of getting their attention! I know that Kyhm is very prompt in answering his emails about the board, as well as being impartial.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Urban Wild Cat on 2002-06-11 21:47 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:05 am 
n00b

Quote:
That thread was long dead and forgotten, and in you attempts to 'clear' your name, all you've done is ressurect an issue that is no longer of any interest (and indeed, was never very interesting) and prove that while maybe the portayal of you by this 'impostor' was extreme, it was really very accurate!

In other words, I'm an asshole for caring that someone is pretending to be me. And an asshole for pointing out to the forums that one of their moderators is lying about something that he is supposed to be impartial about (since he can check IPs, he is instead lying about who comes from which...quite a sin, should it happen to someone besides the hated Treespeaker, I assume).

Quote:
So, if you really do have issues with what Chris told you then for all the assorted god's and goddesses sakes, stop WHINING about it here, and email or private message them so you can be sure of getting their attention! I know that Kyhm is very prompt in answering his emails about the board, as well as being impartial.

Again, forgive me for attempting to caution you regarding the behavior of your moderator. It's not that big of a deal, after all--I'm sure lots of moderators lie to their boards to make themselves look cool. He just got caught, that's all. (assuming I can prove my innocence) As to contacting kyhm, I sent a private message yesterday, but apparantly e-mail is the way to go. Thanks for the tip; I'll send him one after this message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:24 pm 
Addict

Dios! Khym, I'm respectfully requesting that this problem be cleared up! If he really is coming from the same IP then please confirm Chris.

If not I don't care! Chris is cool, this fellow is just bitching unnecessarily. Treespeaker is not a name so cool that it can't be replaced. This guy could resurrect himself a Treebeard_the_Ent, Or Loial_the_Ogier (that one is for my fellow WoT fans) and blend in peacefully with the forum community. There is no reason why he should have to "clear his name" by coming in as The_Troll_Formerly_known_as_Treespeaker. I can understand that he would be annoyed if he's right but seriously, I abandon E-Mail addresses that become overly spam-assaulted I don't ask for SPAM, especially pr0n SPAM but shit happens. find another name and participate like the rest of us. Online personas are like Phoenixes. They can be broken, reforged, and rise from the ashes.

Now the die must fall,
There ain't a winner in this game
Who don't go home with all, Not with all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:19 pm 
Addict

Dynamic IPs are a bitch.

Damn, go 56k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:32 pm 
Addict

My IP is like any one of 50+ since I work in a CPU lab.

Now the die must fall,
There ain't a winner in this game
Who don't go home with all, Not with all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:31 pm 
n00b

Ok, I know this is off-topic, and I of all people should be fighting to keep us on-topic, but just what is an IP number anyway? The only context I know it in is as Internet Protocol, the set of rules all computers connected to the Internet follow...I think we're on IPv4 right now? Anyway, if someone could put it in layman's terms for a hapless interface user, I'd be greatful...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:44 pm 
Addict

The IP is the numerical address that designates what CPU you're browsing from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:16 pm 
Local

An IP address is simply a way of breaking down classes of networks, usually (but not always) divided by the geographical region in which they're located. Needless to say, everyone has one, and each is different. The first two digits designate a greater network of which one is part of, and the other two designate the subnetwork and individual machine (in that order).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: markt18 on 2002-06-12 19:17 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:51 am 
Addict

In layman's terms, it means your IP is your comp's address. Meaning that if the IP's are the same, they're coming from the same computer. Hence what Chris was talking about earlier.

Sifu of Corpse Child

Caecus fides est hostilis veritatis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:53 pm 
Native

Ok, first a quick primer on IP addresses and tracibility. The short answer is IPs are "unique" identifiers routing traffic between computers participating in the Internet. I say "unique" because there are a couple of common cases where they do <i>not</i> uniquely identify a particular user.

First and most common is when you're using a NAT firewall. At my place, for example, I have a single IP that's shared between 10 workstations and servers. Any site I hit on the net records this IP, but that doesn't identify any of my particular machines, only that it came from my site. Big instutitions like universities can and do route literally thousands of people through a single IP.

Second and almost as common are proxy servers, which by their nature concentrate many users's requests to look like they're coming from a single IP. Most ISPs encourage people to use proxy servers with their out-of-box configurations. And with proxy servers for big ISPs, people all over the Net may appear to come from the same IP.

I'm not going to get into how this relates to the issue at hand, that's being resolved via private email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:57 pm 
Local

IPs are fun... I'm running on cable and have memorized it... makes playing games easier, though... my cousin has it memorized too. XD

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]