ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:18 pm 
Local

Fellow Expatriates,
I am realizing this evening that my medication is not working properly ... As some of you may know I suffer from a disorder known as Obsessive compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) which is very different from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Last week I was quite sick and appearently was not absorbing my meds properly .. As a result my OCPD is flaring up and I am having to fight it back ... this shows in my temper flaring. I apologise to anyone I have been rude to in the last few days ... if it was before that well, sometimes I am just an ass. In any case I am shutting down my computer for a few days until i can recover from this bout. Stay loose and have fun ...

Briareos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:31 pm 
Addict

Sorry to hear bout that dude. Hope to see you soon man.

Sifu of Corpse Child

Caecus fides est hostilis veritatis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:04 pm 
Native

I look for worard to your return

Secret Spy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:54 am 
Addict

Get better.

Do it now,
The Sinister Chris

PS: Seriously, get well bud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:04 pm 
Local

Briareos,

Chronic medical conditions can be soooo disheartening. And dealing with medical professionals can be a trial. Please take care and get well!

-----------------
LovelyAngel
<font size=-1>If you're already falling, you might as well try to fly.</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:17 pm 
Local

Obviously I am back .. I am not 100% yet but I am mostly functional sleep, drugs and lack of stress is all that will help me at this point.
Again Sorry about bugging out ... Life has been a bit like Hell recently and it all finally caught up with me.

For more info on my Disease read below:
<table>
<tr><td><H2>F60.5 Anankastic (Obsessive-Compulsive) Personality Disorder</H2>
<P>
Personality disorder characterized by at least 3 of the following:
<P>
(a) feelings of excessive doubt and caution;

(b) preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization or schedule;

(c) perfectionism that interferes with task completion;

(d) excessive conscientiousness, scrupulousness, and undue preoccupation with productivity to the exclusion of pleasure and interpersonal relationships;

(e) excessive pedantry and adherence to social conventions;

(f) rigidity and stubbornness;

(g) unreasonable insistence by the patient that others submit to exactly his or her way of doing things, or unreasonable reluctance to allow others to do things;

(h) intrusion of insistent and unwelcome thoughts or impulses.
<P>
Includes:

* compulsive and obsessional personality (disorder)

* obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
<P>
Excludes:

* obsessive-compulsive disorder
<P>
<HR>
<H2>Personality Disorders</H2>
<P>
A personality disorder is a severe disturbance in the characterological constitution and behavioural tendencies of the individual, usually involving several areas of the personality, and nearly always associated with considerable personal and social disruption. Personality disorder tends to appear in late childhood or adolescence and continues to be manifest into adulthood. It is therefore unlikely that the diagnosis of personality disorder will be appropriate before the age of 16 or 17 years. General diagnostic guidelines applying to all personality disorders are presented below; supplementary descriptions are provided with each of the subtypes.
<P>
<H3>Diagnostic Guidelines</H3>
<P>
Conditions not directly attributable to gross brain damage or disease, or to another psychiatric disorder, meeting the following criteria:
<P>
(a) markedly dysharmonious attitudes and behaviour, involving usually several areas of functioning, e.g. affectivity, arousal, impulse control, ways of perceiving and thinking, and style of relating to others;

(b) the abnormal behaviour pattern is enduring, of long standing, and not limited to episodes of mental illness;

(c) the abnormal behaviour pattern is pervasive and clearly maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social situations;

(d) the above manifestations always appear during childhood or adolescence and continue into adulthood;

(e) the disorder leads to considerable personal distress but this may only become apparent late in its course;

(f) the disorder is usually, but not invariably, associated with significant problems in occupational and social performance.
<P>
For different cultures it may be necessary to develop specific sets of criteria with regard to social norms, rules and obligations. For diagnosing most of the subtypes listed below, clear evidence is usually required of the presence of at least three of the traits or behaviours given in the clinical description.
<p>
<HR NOSHADE>
ICD-10 copyright © 1992 by World Health Organization.<br></td></tr>
</table><br><TABLE WIDTH="100%" BORDER="1" CELLPADDING="3">

<TR ALIGN=CENTER VALIGN=MIDDLE>
<TD COLSPAN="3">
<FONT FACE=arial, times roman><FONT SIZE="4"><STRONG>Cluster C: OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE PERSONALITY DISORDER (OCPD)</STRONG></FONT></FONT>
</TD>
</TR>

<TR ALIGN=CENTER VALIGN=MIDDLE>
<TD>
<FONT FACE=arial, times roman><FONT SIZE="3"><STRONG>Mental Health Issues</STRONG></FONT></FONT>
</TD>

<TD>
<FONT FACE=arial, times roman><FONT SIZE="3"><STRONG>Treatment Issues</STRONG></FONT></FONT>
</TD>

<TD>
<FONT FACE=arial, times roman><FONT SIZE="3"><STRONG>OCPD & Addiction:
Dual Diagnosis Treatment
Issues</STRONG></FONT></FONT>
</TD>
</TR>

<TR ALIGN=LEFT VALIGN=TOP>
<TD>
<FONT FACE=arial, times roman><FONT SIZE="2">
<STRONG>Essential Feature:</STRONG> A pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and control at the expense of flexibility and efficiency (DSM IV™, 1994).
<P>
<STRONG>Self Image:</STRONG> OCPDs see themselves as responsible (Beck); they are harshly self-critical; they restrain feelings and neglect themselves (Benjamin).
<P>
<STRONG>View of Others:</STRONG> OCPDs see others as too casual, irresponsible, self-indulgent, or incompetent (Beck). OCPDs have intense, conflictual feelings toward both themselves and others (Millon).
<P>
<STRONG>Relationships:</STRONG> OCPDs prefer polite, formal, and correct personal relationships. They relate to others in terms of rank or status (Millon). The baseline OCPD interpersonal position is inconsiderate domination, unfeeling adherence to authority and moral causes, and imbalanced devotion to perfection (Benjamin).
<P>
<STRONG>Authority Issues:</STRONG> Deferential and ingratiating with superiors, they are autocratic and condemnatory with subordinates. OCPDs will justify their aggressive behavior by recourse to rules or authorities higher than themselves (Millon).
<P>
<STRONG>Behavior:</STRONG> OCPDs have to do everything perfectly and may be exasperating to deal with. They have difficulty making decisions (Oldham) and a characteristic air of austerity and serious-mindedness (Millon).
<P>
<STRONG>Affective Issues:</STRONG> The affective experience of the OCPD is solemn, tense, and grim; they keep most emotions under tight control. Beset by severe internal conflict, the more OCPDs adapt, the more they feel anger and resentment (Millon).
<P>
<STRONG>Defensive Structure:</STRONG> OCPDs operate with a system of rules and standards (Beck). OCPDs live in the future, i.e., they obsess about foreseeing all dangers/problems (Stone). OCPDs' defenses are intellectualization, isolation of affect, undoing, and reaction formation (Sperry) (McWilliams).
</FONT></FONT>
</TD>

<TD>
<STRONG>The OCPD Coming Into Treatment:</STRONG> OCPDs tend to seek treatment because of depression or slipping productivity. OCPDs try to be good clients. They are serious, conscientious, honest, motivated, and hard-working. They also tend to be consciously compliant and unconsciously oppositional (McWilliams).
<P>
<STRONG>Medication Issues:</STRONG> Generally, OCPD symptoms are not responsive to medication. However, OCPD is frequently accompanied by depression. Antidepressant medication may be helpful.
<P>
<STRONG>Treatment Provider Guidelines:</STRONG> Treat OCPDs with ordinary kindness. They are accustomed to being exasperating to others although they do not fully comprehend why (McWilliams). The strained, affect-controlled, and detail-oriented speech of OCPDs must be met with patience, tolerance, and focus. Pressure to prematurely experience emotions can be both alien and alienating.
<P>
<STRONG>Countertransference Issues:</STRONG> OCPDs do not generally inspire warmth in the people around them. They can often be seen as stronger or tougher than they really are. It is important to remember that the defense structure covers vulnerability to shame, humiliation, and dread.
<P>
Countertransference is usually annoyed impatience; the combination of excessive conscious submission and powerful
unconscious defiance can be maddening. OCPDs often emit an atmosphere of veiled criticism that can undermine the service
providers (McWilliams).
<P>
<STRONG>Treatment Techniques:</STRONG> OCPD clients are likely to respond well to self-control or affective management training. Group can diffuse the inclination these individuals have to engage in power struggles in individual treatment.
<P>
<STRONG>Treatment Goals:</STRONG> OCPDs must develop tolerance for their own emotional vulnerability; their lack of control over people and situations; and, the presence of chance, uncertainty, and impermanence in their lives.
</FONT></FONT>
</TD>

<TD>
<STRONG>Incidence of Co-Occurring SA Disorders:</STRONG> Cluster C has a high incidence of co-occurring substance abuse disorders, though not as high as Cluster B (Nace).
<P>
OCPDs may have some protection against drug/alcohol addiction because of the potential for loss of control involved
in intoxication, dependence, and withdrawal. They are also disinclined to engage in the illegal and high risk behaviors
involved in the use of street drugs.
<P>
<STRONG>OCPD Drugs of Choice:</STRONG> No single pattern of substance use or abuse can be identified for any of the personality disorders.
<P>
In spite of an aversion to loss of control, OCPDs may be attracted to drugs that allow better work performance or
greater stamina. They may also seek relief from the unremitting tension under which they live. Drugs of choice for OCPDs are usually alcohol or prescribed medication because of the lack of social disapproval for these substances (Richards).
<P>
OCPDs often have compulsive behaviors related to money and sexual behavior, e.g. compulsive hoarding or compulsive
use of phone sex.
<P>
<STRONG>Dual Diagnosis Treatment:</STRONG> Determine if the addiction supports OCPD defenses or provides an outlet for expressing aggression (Richards). OCPDs tend to have a muted expression of addiction and they can remain functional
addicts for long periods of time (Richards).
<P>
These individuals may need assistance to use 12 Step-Groups successfully. They are likely to evoke annoyance from others
without working on their interpersonal behavior.
<P>
Confrontation usual to substance abuse treatment may be needed to launch a successful assault on OCPDs' formidable
array of defenses. However, given the level of fear and shame underneath the defenses, the support behind the confrontation must be apparent and reliable.
<P>
Abstinence can be a prerequisite for treatment. OCPDs often have such a powerful defensive structure that firm limits are beneficial to the treatment process.
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:07 pm 
Local

That's too bad, Braireos. I know from personal experience what a hassle psychological medication can be, both physically and psychologically. Here's hoping you make a speedy recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:10 pm 
Local

Thanks ... I tend to be rather open about my medical conditions ... I hope i Haven't bothered anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:59 pm 
Addict

Quote:
On 2002-01-21 16:10, Briareos wrote:
Thanks ... I tend to be rather open about my medical conditions ... I hope i Haven't bothered anyone.

Dude you didn't bother anyone. We were just a bit concerned. I've known a couple people with OCD so I might have an inkling of what you have to deal with, but thanks for the info. There's nothing worse than someone saying "I know how you feel" when they don't know jack-shit.

I'm glad you're back and as for BB&G thing I did to the Guges, I'm sorry, at least Yoshi won't kill me... (I hope... Will he..?... Bri...?... he's looking at me...help!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BandMan2K on 2002-01-21 17:01 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:26 am 
Tourist

Dont worry, I'm somewhat Bipolar, got it from my mom. Just gotta deal with it one step at a time. I hear for you man. Take care.

Dark Angel