ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:05 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Boss Out of Town wrote:
Rakishi wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
pinkbunny wrote:
Yays, now we have 2 characters with shotguns!

Look again, it didn't shoot like a shotgun. A shotgun would have taken out the entire table. It's a rifle with a tubular magazine in the fore-end stock.

She could be using slugs but I agree that a rifle is more likely.

Pump or semi-auto? Either would be a good choice for someone her size.

The pump carbine is actually an excellent tool for brush-whacking or close-in work, comparable to John Wayne's pet 92 crank Winchester.

I was thinking that too :wink: but it doesn't look like a lever action or a bolt so it would have to be a pump. Of course, there is always the Sharps single-shot breach-loader but I don't think so :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:35 am 
Local

One interesting thing about this scene is that most of the participants in the barfight don't look to be half elves. The art isn't entirely clear, but the only one with distinctly pointy ears is Leah. (Presumably Riley also has them, but they're concealed.) The body types also seem to be more short and compact than tall and skinny, as best can be told.

Wonder what the demographics of the Northern Confederacy are? Are half elves a minority there? I'd gotten the impression that Santuariel, at least, was a half elven city, not one with a mixed population.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:44 am 
Local

I get the impression that, these days, half-elves are something of a minority almost everywhere. Santuariel is probably the only place they're not a minority (at least five live there-- Riley, Leah, Ian, and Ian's sister and mother).

But, we know that Riley and Leah have gone to Salvus at least once before to unload some stuff, when Ian hitched a ride with them. That's probably where they are now, either on the same trip or a later one of the same nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:48 am 
Expatriate

Mhmmm, but there'll always be some genes lingering around in Tsuiraku's population. Too bad Meji hasn't given birth yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:47 am 
n00b

Well, at least we're getting some more lesbian-esque stuff. Ahh, how I miss the days of Jordan/Bush.

Hey. I was underage back then.

No. Uhh, I swear, Mr. FBI Officer..NOT THE PARTY VAN1!11!

I'm curious to see where these two'll fit into the storyline. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:06 am 
Local

Zherical wrote:
Since we know Leah calls Riley the GF, then does that make Leah a dick-chick too?

I don't think so...I get the impression whatever "special difference" she might have, if any, it's not sexual in nature. (Unless one counts being "into" Riley as that...difference.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:08 am 
n00b

Killjoy wrote:
Zherical wrote:
Since we know Leah calls Riley the GF, then does that make Leah a dick-chick too?

I don't think so...I get the impression whatever "special difference" she might have, if any, it's not sexual in nature. (Unless one counts being "into" Riley as that...difference.)

Maybe she's just bi?

..Or maybe she has tentacles? O_O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:27 am 
Addict

Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
Slamlander wrote:
pinkbunny wrote:
Yays, now we have 2 characters with shotguns!

Look again, it didn't shoot like a shotgun. A shotgun would have taken out the entire table. It's a rifle with a tubular magazine in the fore-end stock.

At close range, buckshot will only spread a couple inches. The hole in the table shouldn't be big enough to put your fist through.

So it's entirely possible, since we only see a bottle getting hit, that that is a rifle OR shotgun. I'm going with shotgun since it has such a huge bore.

Also, I don't see a tubular magazine. I see a wooden foregrip though. It's possible for it to be pump-action (semi-auto is ruled out automatically, and there's no lever or bolt-action visible), but I don't see a pump or definite tube mag, just a wooden foregrip that has no where to pump. Looks to me like it's a breach-loader of some sort. If it IS a pump shotgun, then the thing that looks like a breach-loader on the receiver is possibly the ejection port. Since she's left-handed, it would make sense to have a gun that ejects shells out the left side, but it would have to be custom made, unless a lot of folks in ES are left-handed.

Then again, I could be talking out my ass. The view of the gun isn't exactly conducive to determining its functional characteristics.

ETA: It just occurred to me that the reason it looks as if there is no where for the pump to go to is because it has been pulled back already, ejecting the spent shell, but not pushed forward to chamber the next one.

Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:49 am 
Native

The rife (and that whole panel) ended up a bit funky. Probablty because I didn't have a clear idea want I wanted it to look like at the time. The barrel's way too thick, the lever's too small, in the wrong place a bit and hard to notice, the stock's messed up. It's suppose to be a crappy bastardized single shot rifle, straight-pull bolt action, breech loading, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:55 am 
Addict

Michael Poe wrote:
The rife (and that whole panel) ended up a bit funky. Probablty because I didn't have a clear idea want I wanted it to look like at the time. The barrel's way too thick, the lever's too small, in the wrong place a bit and hard to notice, the stock's messed up. It's suppose to be a crappy bastardized single shot rifle, straight-pull bolt action, breech loading, etc...

So . . . she's threatening these gentlemen with an empty gun? Cripes, she's got bigger balls than her girlfriend.

We should take up a collection and get her a repeater. The pump carbine Michael Douglas used in Romancing the Stone was a really fun weapon. Of course, Leah would be staring at Kathleen Turner the whole movie.

Sigh . . . KT in her prime = Sarine in a good mood

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Last edited by Boss Out of Town on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:27 am 
n00b

I say we use the money collected to get Leah a Snider Shortband with the saber bayonette, but then again, I'm a Snider fangirl. ^__^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:34 am 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
I get the impression that, these days, half-elves are something of a minority almost everywhere. Santuariel is probably the only place they're not a minority (at least five live there-- Riley, Leah, Ian, and Ian's sister and mother).

But, we know that Riley and Leah have gone to Salvus at least once before to unload some stuff, when Ian hitched a ride with them. That's probably where they are now, either on the same trip or a later one of the same nature.

I figure you're mostly right, but I doubt there are many half-elves outside of Satuariel at all - if there were, the Elves would surely be throwing a fit about who the heck is breeding so many damn half-elves up north. Then again, the Elves are in southern Veracia, and the Northern Confederacy is in (duh) the North, so maybe there's just not much contact between the two these days.

Is there a world map of the Poeverse online anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 am 
Native

Boss Out of Town wrote:
[
So . . . she's threatening these gentlemen with an empty gun? Cripes, she's got bigger balls than her girlfriend.

We should take up a collection and get her a repeater. The pump carbine Michael Douglas used in Romancing the Stone was a really fun weapon. Of course, Leah would be staring at Kathleen Turner the whole movie.

Sign . . . KT in her prime = Sarine in a good mood

Yeah... that leads into the next page.

Single-shot rifles are still pretty much the norm for the most part.

In fact Veracia only just upgraded their small number of riflemen up from crappy muzzle loaders.

Repeaters exist, but still extremely new and cost a small fortune and in Northern Confederacy would more than likely attract more thugs than it would deter.

There's really only two countries actually producing firearms.

The confederacy, who are intentionally only exporting the cheapest, low-grade stuff they got. (they do have much, much better but those are kept strictly to themselves and often won't even trade between the other city states in the Confederacy)

And Farrel, which retro engineered the cheap confederacy stuff and eventually started producing much better firearms of their own. (still charging out the ass for them, of course, because they can)

The Gewehr Wraiths were particularly fortunate in this regard, as to have a number of VERY clever and quite skilled private blacksmiths who stuck around with them from the Gewehr's days as a 'proper' mercenary guild. And to have gotten a hard start on everyone else, firearm technology wise, by realizing that firearms were going to be the next big thing while the rest of the guilds were still stubbornly sticking with their swords and traditions. There are even a few Gewehr pushing for the group to stop the killing crap and just switch to selling guns, claiming the money would probably be about the same.

Um... yeah, it's pretty obvious that, before being awkwardly wedged into ES, the Gewehr were originally created for a story I was planning about a group of samurai in feudal Japan who encountered firearms for the first time and immediately decide to adopt them as their favored weapons in place of the katana, causing them to be shunned by the rest of Japanese society and eventually degrading into a group of ninja like mercenaries.

The funny thing is Proto-Jon and Proto-Sara both started life as basically the same character. I just could never decide if I wanted the main character to be a smart ass guy in his late twenties, or a sullen, nearly emotionless girl... beside gender/personality, they were nearly identical, same outfit, (okay, almost, the female version didn't have pants) same background, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:34 pm 
Local

Michael Poe wrote:
The Gewehr Wraiths were particularly fortunate in this regard, as to have a number of VERY clever and quite skilled private blacksmiths who stuck around with them from the Gewehr's days as a 'proper' mercenary guild. And to have gotten a hard start on everyone else, firearm technology wise, by realizing that firearms were going to be the next big thing while the rest of the guilds were still stubbornly sticking with their swords and traditions. There are even a few Gewehr pushing for the group to stop the killing crap and just switch to selling guns, claiming the money would probably be about the same.

Um... yeah, it's pretty obvious that, before being awkwardly wedged into ES, the Gewehr were originally created for a story I was planning about a group of samurai in feudal Japan who encountered firearms for the first time and immediately decide to adopt them as their favored weapons in place of the katana, causing them to be shunned by the rest of Japanese society and eventually degrading into a group of ninja like mercenaries.

Funny... when reading the first of these two paragraphs the first thing that came to mind was "The Last Samurai". Sorta the inverse of where the Gewehr idea came from, but neat that it's the same sort of culture-clash going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:40 pm 
Addict

Michael Poe wrote:
The funny thing is Proto-Jon and Proto-Sara both started life as basically the same character. I just could never decide if I wanted the main character to be a smart ass guy in his late twenties, or a sullen, nearly emotionless girl... beside gender/personality, they were nearly identical, same outfit, (okay, almost, the female version didn't have pants) same background, etc.

So... Clone incest?

BloodHenge: I owe you one for the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:29 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Michael Poe wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
[

Sign . . . KT in her prime = Sarine in a good mood

Yeah... that leads into the next page.

Single-shot rifles are still pretty much the norm for the most part.

In fact Veracia only just upgraded their small number of riflemen up from crappy muzzle loaders.

Repeaters exist, but still extremely new and cost a small fortune and in Northern Confederacy would more than likely attract more thugs than it would deter.

There's really only two countries actually producing firearms.

The confederacy, who are intentionally only exporting the cheapest, low-grade stuff they got. (they do have much, much better but those are kept strictly to themselves and often won't even trade between the other city states in the Confederacy)

And Farrel, which retro engineered the cheap confederacy stuff and eventually started producing much better firearms of their own. (still charging out the ass for them, of course, because they can)

Oh, this has got to find its way into the Wiki :-3

EDIT: Made it into Firearms, Gewehr Wraiths, and the Character pages of Jon and Sara.

Last edited by Slamlander on Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:18 pm 
Addict

Ok. Among the different powers in the Confederacy, obviously some are more equal than others. The one producing the firearms, probably via pilfered dwarven tech and something of a regional braindrain, is using its relative untouchability to make itself the defacto capital of the nation. To keep manufacturing knowledge secret from a world of (magically enhanced) watchful eyes, they must have developed one hell of a secret police. This would also have good effect shielding whoever the fuck is running the state from assassins paid for by the leaders of the now marginallized secondclass citizen city states.

Who the fuck knows. They might be keeping one last dwarf in a hidden lab somewhere and trading him donuts for tech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:18 pm 
Green Text

Forrest wrote:
Is there a world map of the Poeverse online anywhere?

Wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:42 pm 
Local

Michael Poe wrote:

Requesting a pantsless picture of Sara.

"Also, I've been told I have to stop replying to the retardation or an angry Jew will bite the shit out of me."- Onion
"...she's got the two things needed to make women happy -- a penis and great breasts."-bellofthedamned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:53 pm 
Local

Michael Poe wrote:

I thought it looked breach loading, but tehn I figured it was just the wine talking.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next