ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 18Apr07 - Okay ... Plan 'B' it is then ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
What?

Let the negotiations begin. :-) 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:47 pm 
Local

To get the obvious out of the way first - she's gonna attack the elf.

Either that, or Sarine's gonna execute her in 'self-defense'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:00 am 
Local

I like how Sarine negotiates.

It will be quite entertaining to see how well Sara fares against Sarine without her time magic (which, it seems to be implied, Sarine has somehow nullified), if that is indeed what it comes too. Of course, the question then is how Jon will react to this undoubtedly noisy affair, should it take place.

Unfortunately in all likelihood Sara won't bother to fight Sarine. She seems to be just shutting down - "fuck it all, who cares now" - and probably knows that her odds aren't all that hot against a well-trained Elf in a fair fight. I gotta wonder if Sarine would push it so far as (gently) attacking Sara to initiate the fight. Of course if that comes about then Jon would throw shit fits, and since Sarine probably realizes that, and the last thing she needs right now is Jon turned against her, I still foresee a sad lack of hot hot girl-on-girl swordplay.

Of course, there's also the enticing possibility that Sara might just be arrogant enough to think that she could take on Sarine... and the even more enticing possibility that she may be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:03 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Mista_B wrote:
To get the obvious out of the way first - she's gonna attack the elf.

Either that, or Sarine's gonna execute her in 'self-defense'.

It'll be much more subtle than that. This will be a conversation-in-actions.

So far, Sarine told her that;
1 Sara will not be a prisoner because they can't afford one.
2 They wont summarily execute her
3 Sarine and Jon have a mission and it probably involves elves.
4 Sarine is the mission leader, whether Jon knows it or not.

Dropping her weapon next to her says
1 A demand to Sara to state her intentions or die.

Sara's next move could be:
1 Pick up the weapon and then drop it, signaling a willingness to talk or
2 to quit being a kid and begin verbal communications.
3 Begin unarmed negotiations by attacking Sarine, without the weapon.

Last edited by Slamlander on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:07 am 
Expatriate

Forrest wrote:
Of course, the question then is how Jon will react to this undoubtedly noisy affair, should it take place.

The last thing Sarine needs if she is going to be possibly fighting Sara is Jon trying to figure out which one to shoot, so I would assume that Jon is getting some magically assisted beauty sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:30 am 
Local

This could be Sarine's way of offering her a chance to join up.

Kinda like, OK I'll give you back your weapon, then you'll have to decide what to do with it, and I think you'll be smart enough to ask yourself "why is she giving me this back?" and then come to the conclusion that
A: another enemy is just a pain in the ass and
B: an ally with time ninja powers could be beneficial. and Finally
C: I'm is not scared of you even if you have your blade so maybe you should carefully consider what will happen if you attack me: you'll die.

The beauty of this is that even if Sarine is totally bluffing it'll put Sara at a psychological disadvantage should she choose to attack.

Or maybe she'll just pick up the sword and walk away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:43 am 
Expatriate

I would kill for a wallpaper based on that third panel. Sara and the forest, all in black, white and gray. Pity that'd require some extensive modification.
Quite beyond my means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:45 am 
Addict

Gambit3le wrote:
This could be Sarine's way of offering her a chance to join up.

Yes, exactly. 8-)

Gambit3le wrote:
The beauty of this is that even if Sarine is totally bluffing it'll put Sara at a psychological disadvantage should she choose to attack.

I don't think Sarine is bluffing. She knows about their time-magic now and is well prepared. If Sara activates the Durus Flamma then she is as good as dead. I think Sara probably knows this or can figure it out really fast.

Gambit3le wrote:
Or maybe she'll just pick up the sword and walk away.

There is that. Not something that I'd like to see, however. Neither does it further this part of the story easily. I agree that this is a part of Sarine's recruitment effort. I can definitely see where Sara would be useful in the future, even in confronting the Elven Council.

Why Sara doesn't simply walk away is that she has nowhere to walk to. Sarine knows this. This is Sarine forcing Sara to come to terms in the here-and-now and Sara declaring her intentions.

Sarine: I'm the Alpha bitch in this pack. You can be beta, dead, or move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:06 am 
Expatriate

Seeing as how Sarine has serious misgivings about either the competence or the aims or her superiors keeping Sara as a sort of hole card would be logical. For that and other reasons, including her past ties to the order, she might neglect to report the order's existence or abilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:07 am 
Addict

Deadly Sin No.8 wrote:
Forrest wrote:
Of course, the question then is how Jon will react to this undoubtedly noisy affair, should it take place.

The last thing Sarine needs if she is going to be possibly fighting Sara is Jon trying to figure out which one to shoot, so I would assume that Jon is getting some magically assisted beauty sleep.

Probably similar to what she used to keep Meji napping while she and Jon were pounding the turf on their last camping trip. Convienent stuff, magic. Covers for either the big death or the little death.

Even if Sara "chooses life" Sarine needs to put a warning whammy on her in case she changes her mind. Something to make her spontaneously empty her bowels if she even thinks about knifing Sarine in the back.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:48 am 
Local

All I see now is a mistake in the making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:58 am 
Local

At first, I thought the sword was Sarine's offer for a little bondage time with Sara. Then I realized this forum was corrupting me and I started thinking along other lines.

I noticed that is ta Durus Flamma sword - I can't help but think you need some sort of magical ability to use it. Sarine might be using it to determine Sara's magical potential. More potential uses were discussed in http://www.errantstory.com/wiki/index.php/Durus_Flamma

Personally, I hope they team up - that would be an interesting mix of members. Maybe Anita will send Chris after them to find out what happened and he'll end up teaming up with them as well (or maybe he'll end up with Meji and Ian).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:08 am 
Local

Did anyone consider this is Sarine's way of asking Sara to join them? By giving her a weapon to fight with?

Also, look how very frightened and confused Sara looks. Her stoic soldier routine is indeed dead. She's not a hardass at all, but indeed still a frightened little girl playing dress up in the skin of an assassin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:09 am 
Local

I'd go with "let's see what you can do, kid" option - and if she doesn't measure up, out-kicked.

I'm looking forward to some hot sweaty combat then bonda^H^H^Hing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:11 am 
Addict

Initial B wrote:
I noticed that is ta Durus Flamma sword - I can't help but think you need some sort of magical ability to use it. Sarine might be using it to determine Sara's magical potential. More potential uses were discussed in http://www.errantstory.com/wiki/index.php/Durus_Flamma

Personally, I hope they team up - that would be an interesting mix of members. Maybe Anita will send Chris after them to find out what happened and he'll end up teaming up with them as well (or maybe he'll end up with Meji and Ian).

Actually, it's a Durus Flamma Dolon. Specifically, it's Sara's Durus Flamma Dolon. Sarine knows that Sara knows how to use it quite well.

As far as Chris is concerned, they'll never trust him outside of the compound, methinks.

Last edited by Slamlander on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:31 am 
Addict

bellofthedamned wrote:
Did anyone consider this is Sarine's way of asking Sara to join them? By giving her a weapon to fight with?

Also, look how very frightened and confused Sara looks. Her stoic soldier routine is indeed dead. She's not a hardass at all, but indeed still a frightened little girl playing dress up in the skin of an assassin.

Yes, we've been dancing around that bit for the entire thread, so far. I just thought it was 'understood'. :-? (makes note to be more explicit in the future)

That was the whole point, Sarine finally got through to her. 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:01 am 
Local

The hell she's scared, just shocked. Sarine made her shift paradigms without a clutch.

Once the game is understandable again, which should happen sometime next strip, her game face will be back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Actually, it's a Durus Flamma Dolor. Specifically, it's Sara's Durus Flamma Dolor. Sarine knows that Sara knows how to use it quite well.

Dolon, not Dolor, I believe. See citations in the article for the origins of the term. Not every day you get a Biblical reference in Errant Story (which btw impressed me mightily -- the farther this story gets, the more I realize how much research Poe has done on it).

It isn't clear to me that that's Sara's Dolon, incidentally. Remember that Sarine had the good sense to scarf up the late Melrin's Durus Flamma; she showed it to the Elven Council, after all. I could imagine her palming that one off on Sara, in essence saying "I'll let you have a magic weapon so that you can join our party, but since I still don't trust you completely, I won't let you have your magic weapon, so that you're at a disadvantage if you decide to be suicidally stupid and fight me." What we see of the handle in this frame doesn't allow us to choose between those two swords yet.

Most likely, however, it really is Sara's weapon and this is Sarine doing that maternal thing again. She has cojones...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:11 am 
Local

Her expression of "What?" seemed to me more like an "eh??", only worded differently.

Two likely outcomes, Sara does nothing, or Sara takes it up and attacks. This much has been debated in the thread so far.. however.. did anyone think like me and take Sara's "What?" to mean "You want to fight me? Why?"

If I was a betting man.. I'd put a small wager on Sara just turning the blind eye.

If you haven't got the physical upperhand on an opponent, then at least confuse them first. - Poorly paraphrased Sun Tzu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:41 am 
Addict

Graybeard wrote:
It isn't clear to me that that's Sara's Dolon, incidentally. Remember that Sarine had the good sense to scarf up the late Melrin's Durus Flamma; she showed it to the Elven Council, after all. I could imagine her palming that one off on Sara, in essence saying "I'll let you have a magic weapon so that you can join our party, but since I still don't trust you completely, I won't let you have your magic weapon, so that you're at a disadvantage if you decide to be suicidally stupid and fight me." What we see of the handle in this frame doesn't allow us to choose between those two swords yet.

Most likely, however, it really is Sara's weapon and this is Sarine doing that maternal thing again. She has cojones...

Not so much cojones rather, large brass tits :-o :wink:

Melrin had a Spatha or a Hape and that's the only kind that Sarine carries as well. What hit the ground next to Sara's hand is either a Lancea or a Dolon. Since the only Lancea around anywhere was Warrel's, which they left in the temple, this has to be Sara's Dolon. Sarine is certainly not going to give up her own weapon for this. By elimination, it has to be Sara's Dolon.

Yes, I corrected my spelling. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next