ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Thoughts thus far?
Killer. 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Nice. 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
Meh. 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Needs work. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:49 pm 
Tourist

I might be insane.

I spent all weekend trying to make a CG glacier for the upcoming battle scene. Nothing was working. Then I remembered I live in Alaska.

I'm going to Exit Glacier. I plan to sneak onto the ice and shoot a few hundred photos. I'll go late at night (sunset is around 1am right now) to avoid the rangers and I'll borrow some ice cleats, a pick and some rope. I found a guy to spot me, but if I fall into a crevasse and you never hear from me again, I want you all to know it's been a pleasure. I've appreciated your enthusiasm and support and I'd like to thank you sincerely.

With any luck at all though, I'll be back with new pages and a great setting for the end of the first issue.

If I might wax philosophical for a moment, I've always thought that true art is defined by it's ability to communicate a thought or emotion to the viewer.

Art makes us feel. That's why we need it. A world without art is a world without empathy or understanding. Regardless of your tool, be it paint on canvas, or words on a page, or the notes of a song, live your life with passion. Strive to communicate your thoughts and feelings, and you will make the world a better place for us all.

This comic book has been my life for the last 4 years. I've put more than four thousand hours of work into it thus far and I'm still growing as an artist. I always will be. We can only improve so long as we keep at it.

I will never give up. That's a promise- not to you, but to myself. We are not farmers, or doctors, or soldiers, or leaders. We are artists. Our purpose is to create beauty. We've been given a gift- the power to inspire through the act of creation. We owe it to ourselves to hone that ability to perfection.

That being said I'm pretty nervous about this. My girlfriend is pissed about it but she's given up trying to talk me out of it. This is one of those things that you just aren't supposed to do on general principal, yet dumbass tourists still go out there all the time and end up falling and getting stuck, or die on the way down, or fall through the ice into a melt cave and have to survive on tic tacs while they wait for the search party. Just like the silt flats outside Anchorage. A few people die out there every year when they get stuck and the tide comes in. Just a bad idea.

I think I'm doing it responsibly though. We won't be drinking. We'll take our time, make sure we have plenty of water and some flares and all that. Cell phones won't work that far out, but I hear once a cell phone is out of network range it becomes a GPS locater somehow. I'll have to do some more research on that. I mean, jeez, people used to go out exploring like this all the time. People still do for that matter, but I suppose they're “professionals.” I'm just... a computer geek, you know? I'm not used to the Laura Croft shit, but as long as I'm not retarded about it I should be fine, barring any really bad luck...

So wish me luck :) I'll post some pics when I get back next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:14 pm 
Addict

meh, you're thinking about it too much, bring beer in a sled on a long rope behind you and if you fall it should cut into the ice and stop you, then get drunk and take pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:30 pm 
Local

I remember your initial post. I still think it's good, and you've carried the idea pretty far. I'm inclined to agree with Ptlis about the lines, but it's my personal bias in favor of traditional art that wants to see it more strongly resemble acrylic (which would look hawt), but again it's a personal bias.

I strongly encourage you to pay these folks a visit. They have a lot of talented people active in their forums, and I bet you can get a lot more constructive critique from a dedicated forum, especially one with so many high caliber artists doing both traditional and ye olde photo shoppe work.

Good luck with the "Lara Croft shit" by the way 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:47 pm 
Tourist

A couple before and after examples of the filters->

Forgive the horribly campy dialogue. These are pages from before I had a working script. I finished twenty two pages before realizing a script would have been a good idea. After this epiphany of obviousness, I spent the next eight months working on the script before starting again on new pages. Hence the addition of a prologue.

Unfiltered

Filtered

Unfiltered

Filtered

Unfiltered

Filtered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:34 am 
<font color=darkred><b>Lorem Ipsum

It does make it crisper, but as i said before, at the expense of your whites.

Your other option is to apply the filter, and then take out extraneous lines with a white brush or eraser (depending on the blend settings you use)

Also, if you havn't tried this method, give it a bash. It's far more selective in what it darkens and leave white than find edges.

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop ... index.html

<a href="http://i13.tinypic.com/54ohpmo.jpg">Example</a>
here's a quick test of the blur to sketch process i knocked up using one of your pages. From left to right, original, find edges and watercolour style, and then the blur/sketch effect. (Granted it looks a bit grainy because i was using the jpeg source with all the text already on it, and at view for web resolution)

the differences are admittedly subtle, but the sketch style concentrates on making lines out of the darker areas and leaving the whites white. One cup does the whole wash!

Anyway, it's interesting to see your process, and i am majorly impressed with the dedication you've poured into it. You definitely have a unique style i havn't seen around much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:46 am 
Addict

Those filters only serve to flatten the colors, losing all the depth and illusion of reaslism you may have intended. It's really terrible. Stop it.
I see no benefit to using them. Honestly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:42 am 
Tourist

Spools wrote:
It's really terrible. Stop it.

Any thoughts on an alternative? Something just as fast and effective?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:15 pm 
Addict

Take a class on drawing, and shading in particular, and use that knowledge to do some dodging and burning on the pages even if you do use the filters. That way you will know how to preserve or even create a sense of form and depth and volume, and with practice, realism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:10 pm 
Green Text

if you use burning be sure to have it low opacity and airbrush, that stuff saturates as well as darkens, so you need to be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:01 pm 

i prefer the colour picker to the burn tool. If only photoshop had a painter-esqe colour wheel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:55 am 
something smells fishy here

this really sucks. please become an hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:55 pm 

cakewalk wrote:
this really sucks. please become an hero

gb2/b/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:45 am 
Addict

1) Your comic (art wise) is sureal. This is GOOD, since it makes it uniqu. But maybe it's only me that likes new things.
2) Combining fantasy and sci-fi has potential. The problem is mostly 'why can't they go together'. I'm currently (for the last few years, that is) reflecting on the subject of combining high tech and high fantasy. The biggest problem is that both ideas stand alone, and every mixture would be forced and feel unnatural.
3) Your map is totally awesome and has entered my collection.
4) An idea: you use strip-sized pannels. This means that there's a lot going on in every picture, and it can get somewhat confusing at times. You could get a focusing effect by splitting the screen with every pannel showing another aspect of the situation.