ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:34 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
pillaroforder wrote:
KurtDunn wrote:
That's one way to write... With an idea of where you're going...

But as the T.V. series Lost has proven, you can be incredibly successful without any initial idea of WTH you're doing.

Like a Highschool creative writing class, just aimlessly going for the wierdest, far out shit as it comes to mind. Then make sense of it two seasons down the road.

Well, it was very aptly named. As lost in direction (where the script was going) as it was in premise (lost on an island).

But that seems screenwriting standard these days - good title, good premise, but no idea what to do down the road. Too bad.

Sounds too much like Venture Cap software in the Silicon Valley. The height of the Dot-Com sillyness. Concept and name-only got you seven-figure funding. THEN you had to figure out what to do with it, many couldn't. Yes, Hollywood really does operate like that, too. Independent script writers got tired of making full script and season plots only to have 95% of them rejected. They only submit synopsis sheets these days. Much easier and less work. The the studios hand that to a staff writer, who may not have a clue about what to do with it. Staff writers don't get residuals and they refuse to talk to the original writer, who does.

Yes, massive stupids in both cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:35 pm 
Expatriate

Yep idiocy has taken over unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 am 
Local

If it didn't rule from day one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:05 am 
Local

KurtDunn wrote:

But as the T.V. series Lost has proven, you can be incredibly successful without any initial idea of WTH you're doing.

Lost -- definative proof that inept and pathetic work can be hugely popular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm 
Local

Killjoy wrote:
KurtDunn wrote:

Lost -- definative proof that inept and pathetic work can be hugely popular.

But probably not the first example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:44 pm 
Expatriate

Now give the Lost writers credit...

If you've cared to keep up, or somehow came into possession of the Season DvD packs and enough free time to digest them, it is coming together, NOW.

And when I say coming together, like Frankenstein's Monster it's coming together. Strong, Smart, but ultimately some abomination. Plus if you look at it, you can see where they stitched all the random shit together.

But they pulled it off! I think they're amazed they were capable of pulling a functioning story-arc out of their ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:03 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
KurtDunn wrote:
Now give the Lost writers credit...

If you've cared to keep up, or somehow came into possession of the Season DvD packs and enough free time to digest them, it is coming together, NOW.

And when I say coming together, like Frankenstein's Monster it's coming together. Strong, Smart, but ultimately some abomination. Plus if you look at it, you can see where they stitched all the random shit together.

But they pulled it off! I think they're amazed they were capable of pulling a functioning story-arc out of their ass.

Pulling a miracle out of your ass doesn't make up for the fact that you almost built a loser in the first place. It just means that you got lucky. This does not encourage me to watch "Lost".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3