ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm thinking you are the only ones who would ever understand
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:11 am 
Addict

Recently, the thought has come by me that in many regards, I am spoiled by circumstance and in ways that no one will ever understand, except maybe my close friends, you guys and maybe, just maybe, my family. I mean, I just recently read an update on DMFA. Now I'm about to gush about this comic for a moment, simply because I feel that the script writing on this mini arc is near perfection! The writing, the beats, the characterization, near perfect. It helps the fact that I have read this nearly a year ago.

See, I think I've mentioned it before, but I work with Mason "Tailsteak" Williams and visit his wife, Amber "Miss Mab" Williams on a twice weekly basis. Hell, we purposely started a rumor at work that I was having an affair, the people at work are still debating about with whom I was having it with! At this point, It's just a part of my life, I remember at one time thinking it was the coolest thing in the world, but now it's cooled of to one of those normal things. Back to this comic. I read it last year, when Mason drew it for his wife. That entire spiel about what is on the roof is typical of Tailsteak. The lines his little companion says is typical of Mab. You know how people think an actor's life is totally awesome and then they show you the boring parts? These guys actually live this kind of life. The discussions, the phrasing, it's all there. It's like I live in a movie and the script just comes out. It's like this with all of my friends.

This is partially the fault of this forum. Partially the fault of my family. I am a freak, I have a loving family, and I love all of them. I think my mom is crazy, an my extended family is like the Brady Family Variety Hour, but it's all there, intelligent discussions, random music and singing, entertaining stories. Then there is this forum. If it were not for this forum, I would not have any example of well laid out liberal mindsets (funny saying that of here), and would never have balanced maturity with the insanity that beats deep within my heart.

An aside. My friend just called me on my phone, while I am sitting in the mall waiting to go into work. He wanted to ask me about quantum theory and it's application to philosophy. I chatting about it and string theory while two strangers on both sides of me think I'm nuts!

As I have all of 3 mins to finish this, I'll wrap up. And forgive me, but I'll but it in semi-spiritual terms.

God has granted me the ability of intellect, and friends that share that gift. He has granted me opportunity through you guys to learn to use my vocabulary and never lack anything to say. My only challenge these days is having something worth saying.

I just had this thought and felt it worth sharing. I'd normally go through it again, and make it less... meandering, but I have to take calls from idiots who use Verizon DSL.

- Stephen Crane

Post subject: Re: I'm thinking you are the only ones who would ever understand
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:26 pm 
Addict

Chaos wrote:
I think I've mentioned it before, but I work with Mason "Tailsteak" Williams and visit his wife, Amber "Miss Mab" Williams on a twice weekly basis.

No you didn't.

Tailsteak is one of the three net-artists I really want to meet face to face (along with ICS and Zone, for different reasons), the fact that you know him off-line (RL is just extended AFK) was enough to blow my mind, so I admit I didn't really got anything you wrote after that.

Anyways... I'm currently in a 'down' part of my life. I'm in Uni, studying a subject that I'm not passionate enough about to, you know, make an effort. This is not an unsolvable problem, I only need to find something I can be passionate about. Yeah, 'only' indeed... I don't know, I honestly can't think of *anything* I want to be 'when I grow up'... I need help, and I have no idea where to look for it...

/angst

*ahm* Sorry about that, you caught me in a bad time. I'm happy for you that you think your life is awesome, I really am. I consider you guys to be my friends (due to serious social disabilities on my part, I'm rather short of offline friends), and it's always nice to hear that someone you care about is doing well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:39 pm 
Addict

Yeah, I know Tailsteak. Met his brother in highschool. Invited him out for a party, we became friends. I've gone with both of them on their last trip down to anthrocon. Hell, you never picked up on his Open letter to me? He's joining me for lunch in like 10 mins. He know much of this forum through me. If ever you drop by London, I'll see what can be arranged. And for those of you who remember him, Vigi-Kami also knows Tailsteak.

Hell, Tailskeak and I regularly game together. He's in my D&D group. Hell, I was the guy playing Hyde when he played Joeseph.

As for your life, I've been there. I gotta say, it isn't as much the "passion" thing you have to worry about, it's the entire "collage sucking the life out of all interesting things" issue you got to resolve.

This might get a little Verbose, and i GOT 25 mins to do it in.

Ask yourself this; "What do you want from life?" not what do you want to do for a living, but what do you want from life? the difference is huge. You see, I want to create. I've got these Ideas in my head an I want them OUT! I also want to play with tech. So I'm in IT. However, I am not the happiest person I have ever met. That would be my Grandpa. He's a cool guy. Tough as nails. In life, he was a cop, a boxer, a real estate manager, a navy-man and a barbershop quartet singer. That's not what he wanted from life though. He wanted a family, he wanted to be a patriarch. He had 5 kids, raised them well, and they all had kids. If if you check my facebook pics, you can see a huge line of people at thanksgiving, over 40 people sitting at one table, and he's at the head of it. He's a happy man.

Or take my Dad, his dream was to conduct an orchestra. He's a good trumpet player, but not so good as to get that request answered to him. So he became a music teacher. Eventually, he got a vice-principleship. He took that position, and used it to save the local orchestra, by setting up Educational concerts where kids got to listen to some fun classical music for free. This made the Orchestra elagable for a grant offered by the government. They were the only ones in Canada who qualified. In return for this, he conducted for them, a number of times.

I've heard of a random business man who only wanted to travel, so he put all of him business stuff on a single credit card and uses it to fly around the world. Or the Rich Dad, Poor dad, dude, who became rich, without a college education, by wise investing and a semi good job.

You don't need a higher education to get all you want in life, It helps, but only if you recognise what it is you are looking for. Wanna have sex all day? Do-able. Wanna drink all day? Do-able.

So what do you want?

Oh By the way, Tailsteak just walked up. He says "Hi".

- Stephen Crane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:50 pm 
Addict

Chaos wrote:
Yeah, I know Tailsteak. Met his brother in highschool. Invited him out for a party, we became friends. I've gone with both of them on their last trip down to anthrocon. Hell, you never picked up on his Open letter to me? He's joining me for lunch in like 10 mins. He know much of this forum through me. If ever you drop by London, I'll see what can be arranged. And for those of you who remember him, Vigi-Kami also knows Tailsteak.

Hell, Tailskeak and I regularly game together. He's in my D&D group. Hell, I was the guy playing Hyde when he played Joeseph.

As for your life, I've been there. I gotta say, it isn't as much the "passion" thing you have to worry about, it's the entire "collage sucking the life out of all interesting things" issue you got to resolve.

This might get a little Verbose, and i GOT 25 mins to do it in.

Ask yourself this; "What do you want from life?" not what do you want to do for a living, but what do you want from life? the difference is huge. You see, I want to create. I've got these Ideas in my head an I want them OUT! I also want to play with tech. So I'm in IT. However, I am not the happiest person I have ever met. That would be my Grandpa. He's a cool guy. Tough as nails. In life, he was a cop, a boxer, a real estate manager, a navy-man and a barbershop quartet singer. That's not what he wanted from life though. He wanted a family, he wanted to be a patriarch. He had 5 kids, raised them well, and they all had kids. If if you check my facebook pics, you can see a huge line of people at thanksgiving, over 40 people sitting at one table, and he's at the head of it. He's a happy man.

Or take my Dad, his dream was to conduct an orchestra. He's a good trumpet player, but not so good as to get that request answered to him. So he became a music teacher. Eventually, he got a vice-principleship. He took that position, and used it to save the local orchestra, by setting up Educational concerts where kids got to listen to some fun classical music for free. This made the Orchestra elagable for a grant offered by the government. They were the only ones in Canada who qualified. In return for this, he conducted for them, a number of times.

I've heard of a random business man who only wanted to travel, so he put all of him business stuff on a single credit card and uses it to fly around the world. Or the Rich Dad, Poor dad, dude, who became rich, without a college education, by wise investing and a semi good job.

You don't need a higher education to get all you want in life, It helps, but only if you recognise what it is you are looking for. Wanna have sex all day? Do-able. Wanna drink all day? Do-able.

So what do you want?

Oh By the way, Tailsteak just walked up. He says "Hi".

I've been to London twice, and I fucking hate the place. I will keep this information in mind though, for you never know. BTW, doesn't Tailsteak live in Canada? Anyway, tell him that he has fans in weird places, that his work is inspiring in it's originality and that he should resume updating his artblog. Tell him I say 'please' (I heard a rumor that it's a magic word, maybe it'll work on him).

As for the studying thing... "What I want from life" is an excellent question. I think I want to... Be happy. Life is but a game and it's pointless to play if you don't enjoy it. But then again, what and where do I find this 'joy'? Tough question... At this point, I have a feeling as if I'm trapped inside a small box at the back of my mind, and that there's a whole world to explore if I can only free my mind.
But then again, I'm *afraid* of making decisions I don't know the consequences of. In hindsight, going to study Material Engineering at a respected university was the most 'square'/'normal'/boring decision I could've made.

The thing I want to study the most is 'The Internet', from a social point of view. I currently think about (which is like 'plan to', only without actually making a decision) about switching faculty to economy/busyness-management and from there specialize in the internet as a social environment. I only need to decide that this is, indeed, the thing I want to do, but I don't have the guts to make that leap into the unknown... Yet!

Anyway, thanks *a lot* for providing me an outlet and a platform to organize my thoughts on. I tend to think about my problems until I lose all perspective of the matter, and the only solution to that is an outside perspective, so thanks for that as well.

And this is what this board is for me, an outside perspective.

Post subject: im just gonna ignore the rest
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:05 pm 
Serial Fangirl

theres a london in canadia which houses several kyhmers if i remember right. i think thats the one chaos is referring to.
just a small case of assuming on his part, dont mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:09 am 
Addict

London Ontario. That is correct. The place sucks right now. The Bus drivers on on strike. Tailsteak lives like 10 mins from work, I live 1h 15 mins from work. I gotta walk it EVERY FUCKING DAY!

YAAAA!!!

- Stephen Crane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:21 am 
Native

Chaos wrote:
London Ontario. That is correct. The place sucks right now. The Bus drivers on on strike. Tailsteak lives like 10 mins from work, I live 1h 15 mins from work. I gotta walk it , uphill in both directions, EVERY FUCKING DAY!

YAAAA!!!

fixed for truthiness

Grimmyness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 am 
Addict

Chaos wrote:
London Ontario. That is correct. The place sucks right now. The Bus drivers on on strike. Tailsteak lives like 10 mins from work, I live 1h 15 mins from work. I gotta walk it, uphill in both directions, chest deep in the snow, EVERY FUCKING DAY!

YAAAA!!!

That explains. In this case, my previous misconceptions are invalid, and therefore must be replaced.

The current misconceptions will be imported directly from South Park, 'cause I can't be arsed to read about it ('it' being both your city and your state) in Wikipedia.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:13 pm 
Addict

You're off to a great start then.

- Stephen Crane