ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:41 pm 
Native

(What can I say, I'm in a pretty good mood today...)

*kyhm looks at p, then at Briareos. He pops p's arms off*

Look, she's disarmed! Now, the superglue!

*kyhm pops Briareos' ears off and superglues then to p's shoulders, kinda like wings. He glues p's arms to Briareos' head, where they wave around wildly. kyhm looks around, indignantly*

What? I never played with a Mr. Potato Head as a kid, ok?

*kyhm looks at the almost empty superglue tube, shrugs, then superglues Darkstorm by his head (the intact one) to the ceiling. He walks off with Chris, shaking his head.*

I dunno, these n00bs, they're like moths. We need to get Pyromancer here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:48 pm 
Local

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:51 pm 
Local

[OOC]
Actually I resent being compared with these n00bs considering I have been online longer than most of the forum goers have been alive, hense my submition to Hazing / Init heck i still have an active arpa net account .... Kids these days
[/OOC]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:01 pm 
Local

[OOC]
Well, Briareos, none of us likes being called a n00b. But regardless of our wealth of experience, we nonetheless are newcomers -- whether we take a new job, move into a new neighborhood -- or begin participation in a new forum on the internet. We just end up having to take our lumps. But what we can hope for, given our depth of knowledge and experience, is that we don't behave like n00bs. Years of experience is great -- but maturity factor is more important when integrating with new groups of people.

The EN forum n00b Facts thread might provide give you some ideas on how to avoid looking like a n00b.

ARPAnet! Whoooeee! Still doesn't matter -- a middle-aged n00b is still a n00b here. Been there. Done that. (But the kids are cool anyway, don't you think?)
[/OOC]

----------------
LovelyAngel</font>
<font size=-1>Veteran PDP-8 and IMSAI 8080 programmer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:03 pm 
Native

Quote:
On 2001-12-13 18:51, Briareos wrote:
...Actually I resent being compared with these n00bs...

Hey, I understand. If you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have done. And I don't presume to lecture you; I'm 26 with 10 years experience (school and work) in computers and about 8 on the 'Net.

I think not even Chris feels that every n00b needs to be initiated in a bloody and vicious manner. Case in point, mika, who he stomped on, then healed up, then gave ice cream.

Now, from what I've seen, there's three kinds of n00bs:
<ul><li> Type A n00bs read the entire archive, at least the last few weeks active threads, and then lurk on the board for a couple weeks. When they post they add something constructive to a discussion, point out a plothole, start a fun RP, etc. If they can pull that off for a few months, they cease being n00bs and largely escape initiation.

<li>Type B n00bs read the comic, reg for the board, and then they spam, post crap in a serious RP, attack/flame an established poster, use l33t- or aol-speak, start "here-I-am" threads, or have terrible spelling and grammar (usually some combination of these). They have violated the first rule of Netiquette, Don't speak until you know your audience. Their activities disturb the regulars, who disturb them in return;

<li> Type C n00bs are masochistic, antagonistic, and/or curious. They're looking to provoke someone into initiating them, maybe to get a flame war going, maybe 'cause it'll be fun to RP.</ul>

Some folks who fit Type A are iniated in a relatively innocuous manner, if only to satisfy custom or the whim of the initiator. Examples: mika, yourself. Some Type B n00bs take it in stride and become productive members (DrunkenDwarf seems to be heading this direction). Most Type C n00bs seem to either fight it out or lose interest. Some of them convert too, I guess.

I just don't think initiations are requried for everyone who joins the board. It's not always fair, and besides, it gets tough to come up with original material. For me, at least... :wink:

Edit: always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kyhm on 2001-12-14 01:10 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:10 pm 
Tourist

Smart n00bs slip in, post in as many worthwhile threads as they can, say useful, intelligent things, and don't start their own threads until their presence is accepted. To do anything else is stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:31 pm 
Local

LA,
I know exactly where you are coming from. I used to teach new technicians and SEs, all proud that they had passed some peice of paper exam ... I then had to proceed to break them in to little peices to see if they were worth keeping ...

Kyhm - in regards to my former students I saw the same thing. I try to hold to tradition as much as possible I guess we stubborn old coots do that. This is why i set myself up for initiation. its Kind of hard to enjoy someone elses suffering if you haven't been through it ya know.

In general I wasn't making a comment on n00bs in general but rather the specific ones that have been showing up of late. As we all know post count is only one measure of a forum goer. I have been on the EN board for several months (bout half a year) and still only had 10 or so posts. Just didn't see anything to add in most cases :smile: AH but such is the way .

On with the show!

Oh PS LA - A PDP-8 I remember those my first terminal was a pdp-11/24a with DUAL 8.5 inch drives and a mono crt (green iirc) I had a microline micro 82 9 pin dotmatrix printer an ibm card reader and tape drive (paper not magnetic) That was back in my cobol and fortran 7 days - cobol is no loss but i miss coding in fortran

Quote:
On 2001-12-13 20:01, LovelyAngel wrote:
[OOC]
Well, Briareos, none of us likes being called a n00b. But regardless of our wealth of experience, we nonetheless are newcomers -- whether we take a new job, move into a new neighborhood -- or begin participation in a new forum on the internet. We just end up having to take our lumps. <snip>

The EN forum n00b Facts
<snip>
Veteran PDP-8 and IMSAI 8080 programmer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:28 am 
Local

Quote:
On 2001-12-13 22:31, Briareos wrote:
Oh PS LA - A PDP-8 I remember those my first terminal was a pdp-11/24a with DUAL 8.5 inch drives and a mono crt (green iirc) I had a microline micro 82 9 pin dotmatrix printer an ibm card reader and tape drive (paper not magnetic) That was back in my cobol and fortran 7 days - cobol is no loss but i miss coding in fortran

Feh... you had floppy drives... and a CRT! My poor old PDP-8 had only paper tape -- and a teletype terminal! Had to enter the boot program through the front panel switches before we could read the paper tape...

No... wait... back in those days we had to crank our own electricity and pound out our own copper wires... and we pried open transistors to fix them... and desoldered printed circuit boards by holding them over a campfire that we started by rubbing two sticks together... and...

*The LovelyAngel snaps out of the delusional reverie.*

Oops. First signs of senility. Gomen.

Actually, I like COBOL -- it's a fine language if you know how to structure your code! We actually converted our business applications from FORTRAN to COBOL, so I'm quite conversant in both. Well, after a dozen or two languages, they all start to blur together anyway. I kinda liked SNOBOL, and I was a darned good Speedware/Reactor programmer (on HP-3000s).

Next May marks my 25th anniversary as a computer professional -- maybe at that time I ought to set something up in the Never-Ending Party room. :wink:

----------------
LovelyAngel
<font size=-1>And if he were alive, wouldn't Herman Hollerith be dumbfounded that we are *still* using punch cards?</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:09 am 
Native

Ack! I was typing too fast and left a word out; I was trying to say I wasn't presuming to lecture, instead I made an ass out of myself... :oops:

English lesson for kyhm: don't write late at night, and don't write sentences that can change meaning entirely if you leave a single word out. :wink:

Quote:
In general I wasn't making a comment on n00bs in general but rather the specific ones that have been showing up of late.

I have to appologize for some of that... I know Darkstorm IRL as well as from the EN forum, and he's passed it along to some of his friends (Shadow and p). Whether they'll stick around I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:34 am 
Local

*What appears to be an encepholitic metal gorilla appears at the door, and quickly walks over to Briareos*

Big Gorilla Thing: What the hell happened to you?

*Bri quickly signs back to him showing he can't hear. (happens when your sensor arrays/ ears get superglued to someone else)*

*Seeing Bri pointing at P the BGT walks over grabs Bri's arrays, plants a foot on the fleshy part inbetween them and pushes - very hard -. What remains of P flies across the room and land in a heap against the wall, rather unconcious - fortunately for p-*

*BGT removes the box it is using as a backpack and sets it down. There is a faint popping sound as the BGT opens up and a young man (yoshi) exits the Guges B (BGT)*

Yoshi: I think thats a new record for you. What was it 15-20 minutes from replacement to having them ripped off?

*Yoshi quickly removes the glue and flesh , replaces the seals that popped and remounts Bri's arrays*

You tell anyone about this and I tell Hitomi about your magazine collection.

Yoshi: You wouldn't! Oh I guess you would.

Yes I would, You have what, 10 years worth of them?

*Yoshi considers his collection of Mecha, landmate and motorcycle magazines vs the pleasure of telling Hitomi and Deunan about Bri's latest repairs, then remembers what happened last time he looked to long at a a lovely hydrogen turbine unit. (Hitomi gave him electro shock therapy)*

Yoshi: OK I won't tell anyone. At least let me get back to Olympus before your repair alarms go off again though.

Not a problem

*Yoshi gets back in his landmate and heads for the door after retrieving his tool chest*

Good kid, great mechanic, wierd fetishes

[spelling corrections]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Briareos on 2001-12-14 06:39 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 12:21 pm 
n00b

First off when is Shadow's initation going to be finished?? He seems to think that he is finished...
[/quote]I have to appologize for some of that... I know Darkstorm IRL as well as from the EN forum, and he's passed it along to some of his friends (Shadow and p). Whether they'll stick around I don't know.
[/quote]
Second I intend on sticking around...I may be a girl but....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 12:23 pm 
n00b

Quote:
I have to appologize for some of that... I know Darkstorm IRL as well as from the EN forum, and he's passed it along to some of his friends (Shadow and p). Whether they'll stick around I don't know.

Oh, no worries....I'll be around....
(as /me reaches for his newly bought katana)....Oh, I'll be around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 12:45 pm 
Local

[ooc] Umm i didn't write that Kyhm did - just clarifying[/ooc]
Quote:
On 2001-12-14 11:23, Shadow wrote:
Quote:

Oh, no worries....I'll be around....
(as /me reaches for his newly bought katana)....Oh, I'll be around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:45 am 
Native

Quote:
On 2001-12-14 11:21, p wrote:
First off when is Shadow's initation going to be finished?? He seems to think that he is finished...

I think so too, unless he wants more... :grin:

Really, I don't take n00b initiations as seriously as others *cough-cough-Chris-cough*, I see it more as a formality.
Quote:

But what? :wink:

(I'd say something more but I'd be misquoted...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 8:05 pm 
Tourist

Quote:
On 2001-12-14 11:21, p wrote:

POST PICS PLZ! K THX BYE!

Sorry, I felt that needed to be said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 8:36 am 
Addict

Drachen walks up on an odd scene.

"Well Chris, I knew you had an ego, but he's kneeling to you? Wow. You're good man. Real good. And I'm DrachenNacht from the EN board so ya know, just dropped the -Nacht for simplicity and brevity's sake."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:45 am 
n00b

Quote:
Type A n00bs read the entire archive, at least the last few weeks active threads, and then lurk on the board for a couple weeks. When they post they add something constructive to a discussion, point out a plothole, start a fun RP, etc. If they can pull that off for a few months, they cease being n00bs and largely escape initiation.

heh... doing my best to stay smart and aim for Type A. *nods*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 6:14 pm 
Expatriate

[/quote]On 2001-12-14 11:21, p wrote:
I intend on sticking around...I may be a girl but....
[/quote]

Grey slips into the thread and his ears only catch "around... girl butt.."

He slips up behind her and begins giving a butt massage, then reaches his arms around front...

OOC: Don't worry, we're all perverts here... at least those from the EN forum.

---begin CRFH!!! code ---
F !U IRC R+ RM--- H+ PSL++ FW S+++

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 5:44 pm 
Expatriate

[OOC]ohla every one! I just came to have a look around, get to know every one. you all know how it works.[/OOC]

**walks over to TSC**
I got here before burger lord! High five!!
((burger lord being Night))
Its christmas eve Im sooo happy, hmm. . .Any one mind if i smoke?? No? ok then, **lights up** ah. . . much better. . .**looks around** not too shabby:)
~Raven Sage~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 4:56 am 
Addict

*A buzzing is heard behind Chris*

/Chris turns around and ducks just in time to see the Baka Fairy headed straight for Greyeyes

/Chris causes a wall of force to be convienently placed in front of the fairy

*Imagine a bug hitting a widshield and surviving... yeah, that's the mental image you're looking for*

/Chris pick up the fairy buy the wings

Ahem. You can leave now.

Baka Fairy: Never! Not until I smite the pervert!

/Chris pulls out his handy dandy can of bug spray

Now, you can leave, or I slowly torture you and pull off you wings.

BF: You wouldn't!

/Chris pulls the wings off of the Baka fairy, sprays it with bug spray, drops it to the floor, steps and twists

*Needless to say, the Fairy did survive... barely*

Welcome to my house.

You's a ho. HO!,
The Sinister Chris