ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forgotten Hells (IC Story)
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:58 pm 
Addict

In the now OOC ‘Forgotten Hells’ thread, Sorgoth wrote:
A thing of shadow, with spike-tipped tentacles coming out in pairs at four spots along his back, hellish red eyes and no nose walked into the room, and stumbled. Sorgoth saw his clawed fingers dissapear and be replaced by a charred skeletal hand, then, a moment later, to be replaced by the flowing, tar blackness that was his skin. He had almost escaped life. Almost. But once again, he had failed. He shivered, and breathed out mist. He himself was affected by the cold he radiated. He had been reading a book, lately. For the past 50 years or so. The thing is, the book always seemed to contain more things to read...it was all he thought about, exept for death. It suffused his mind, warped his thoughts, changed his outlook on what little world he had.

He soundlessly walked on three toed feet to the pedestal where he placed the book. He opened it, and was thrilled that there was something new in it. Today it read: Life...such a foolish thing. Is it not? Sorgoth nodded his head in agreement. It truly is a pain. Don't you want to save others from this pain that is life? Sorgoth nodded again. Ink appeared on the page, writing new things in front of his eyes. It had never done this before. He smiled, revealing razor sharp teeth. Good. Today is the day you've been preparing for, Sorgoth. Today you leave Home. Today you help cleanse the world of the dirty thing that is Life. You must kill her minions, Sorgoth. You must save us all from her false saviorhood. Even they are ignorant of her power. We must free them from her. Do you remember the door? Go to it. You can open it now. Sorgoth, in apparent glee, ran to the old wooden door and flung it open.

Outside was a maelstorm of whirling energies, something no sane person should see. Sorgoth had lost sanity long ago. Before going, he took the book with him, and jumped into the whirling cosmos. He had also lost fear.

He landed roughly on the hard dirt road, causing him to grunt. Sleepily, he opened his eyes and screeched. The light! It was blinding! It was evil, this light in the sky. It would have to go if he was to live here. He had read about this in the Book. Tears of pain froze on his face, then were lost in his shifting skin. With unsteady steps and clutching the Book to his chest, he proceeded to find the nearest family of farmers and slay them. The book comforted him as he did it. It rewarded him for good behavior, he realised. He would have to work hard.

OOC:This is set in magical times, so try to refrain from the guns and attack helicopters and stuff like that. Its set on an earth-like planet named Eos, which supports a large variety of life and does not have seasons (its straight up). So...RP away! (Magic is fairly common here)

As the days turned into weeks, Sorgoth’s bloody journey continued. Unrest grew in the surrounding countryside, as tales spread of whole families found slaughtered in their beds, around their hearths, or at work in the fields. No one, it seemed, was safe, and none had ever seen the beast that caused this unspeakable destruction. Patrols and hunting parties were of no avail; those that returned alive reported only tracks that made no sense, and dogs that refused to follow what few trails could be found.

At about this time a man appeared in the lands, journeying from village to village apparently at random. He was past the prime of his life but of sturdy build, and carried a walking stick which many began to claim to be a wizard’s staff. When confronted with such assertions he merely smiled with snow-white teeth and shook his head. Always his message was the same.

I have come from my own lands because I learned of a darkness which was plaguing yours. I do not know if I can free you from this enemy by myself, but I shall do all that I can. I beg of you to hold firm and stand bravely, for I fear that the presence of this darkness shall awaken others, either from the worlds beyond your own or within the hearts of some who already call these lands home. There are always heroes in times such as this, but what is often forgotten is that evil begets evil. I pray of you, fall not into the trap of despair which surrounds this vile slayer, for that way lies a darkness deeper than the eternal twilight of the lands of the dead.

After learning all that he could from the inhabitants of each village, the wanderer always moved on, sometimes stopping at lonely farmhouses for the night, seemingly tempting fate but never managing to correctly predict which place of rest might bring him at last face to face with that which he hunted.

(In case it wasn’t clear, bold text is meant to be narration. And obviously, despite the newcomer’s speech [which I summarized and dramatized for effect], there will be those who become touched by the darkness. Feel free to pose as one of them; it will certainly make for a more interesting RP than if it’s just “the world vs Sorgoth!” ;-) )

"Only he who attempts the absurd
is capable of achieving the impossible."
 - Miguel de Unamuno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:53 am 
Addict

And there were those would be touched by the power of The Book, and they would follow it, as slaves to be slaughtered, or as warriors to sate it's lust. Rarely did they know what it was they did, nor why they did it. Many died easily, slain by their once neighbors, hung for murder and other crimes. All was the will of The Book in this. But as well in this time, there was one who came searching for the book itself. It did not command him as it would like, but neither did he seek to command it. Niehter cruel nor gentle, ths man simply moved as he pleased, neither killing needlessly, nor possessing qualms when it was needed. He killed without emotion, regret, malice.

Talus walked quietly from the alleyway, counting the coin he had collected.
The footpads had been young and amateurish, he thought to himself. Lucky to have had any success at all in their business. Few would have made it much longer at all. They had been weak. the man carried himself withan easy grace, his tread slow and deliberate as he made his way out of the city. Pants and boots of black, a shirt of white with a black vest, he carried novisible weapons but for an oddly shaped dagger at his belt, it's make looking more to be ornamental than utilitarian. A deep hemetite sat in it's pommel, clutched by a claw of silver, the grip of twsted wrapped silver as well. It sat in a black sheath, which in itself was threaded with silver cord.

As he left the boundaries of the city, he looked upwards to the sky, seemingly searching for something, before nodding to himsself and setting out upon the road westward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:35 pm 
Addict

And those that remained untouched by The Book’s malice fled the villages in fear of those that had once been family, friends, loves. They struck out to hide in the forests, isolated by their dismay and only overcoming it in the brief instants where a sense of courage was absolutely needed. It was only then that Fae would stalk from the trees to the desolate villages to rob the dwellings of their food, the bodies of their clothing and possessions …

She rushed about the room, trying to be silent … but finding that agitated, jerky movements wouldn’t allow her to be even the least bit quiet. Stumbling over to a set of drawers, she hurriedly knelt beside them and began throwing their contents over her shoulder.
Paper … paper … nothing else!?

Cursing under her breath, the young woman sat back on her heels, resting for a second to consider her next move. Others must have looted this house of its food … her stomach would have to wait it out for another night … unless …

Fae swept her long brown bangs out of her eyes and straightened into an unsettled stand. She could always try the next village … it wasn’t too far from her current location. Yet .. there was always the chance that it would be foodless as well. And there was always that chance that she’d be seen along the road. So many damned chances.

Her green eyes narrowed in some semblance of thought … but she wasn’t really thinking. Fae wasn’t much of a thinker. So, that was why an instant later she was out the door, drawing her brown cloak about her, and heading straight down the dirt road … arms swinging …whistling an uncharacteristically cheerful tune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:49 am 
Addict

OOC: Ow. The bold font's killing my eyes.

IC: Cassryn hid under a bush, listening to the sounds of pursuit fading away into the distance. She cautiously poked her head out of the foliage, made sure that she was alone, and sat back down to take stock. She'd left home in a hurry, so all she had brought was a dagger, a few gold coins, a few more silver coins, and a small leather knapsack hastily stuffed with a change of clothes and some food. Distantly, she marveled at how calmly she was taking all this.

Well, little girl, you finally did it. Dru's mocking voice echoed in her head. Now what? You're woefully unprepared, for one thing. Stupid.

Shut up, Dru. Yaslana's voice pushed Dru's presence away, for a little while. We have to go back and get Meimei out anyways. Can't leave her there, yeah? So we get supplies while we're at it.

Cassryn began moving through the underbrush slowly, heading back the way she came. Papa should be good and drunk now, Ryn thought bitterly.

All the better to go in and steal Meimei from under his nose, Dru smirked.

Hide up the oak tree in the yard. Can't be too careful, yeah? Yaslana warned. Cassryn shinned up the tree silently and perched on a high branch, where she could see the window to the kitchen. Papa was at the kitchen table, a half-empty bottle of wine in front of him.

Suddenly, the shadows in the far corner of the yard shifted, shimmered, and coalesced into a nightmare with glowing red eyes. Cassryn pressed against the tree, overwhelmed by a wave of terror, hoping and praying with all her might that whatever the thing was, it wouldn't see her. The thing stumbled towards the door, ripped it off its hinges. Papa stood up with a jerk, bloodshot eyes wide and staring. The thing ripped right through Papa, tearing him to pieces, and then heading upstairs. Meimei's scream shattered the silence, was suddenly swallowed by silence. The thing came out the gaping doorway again minutes later, dripping with blood, and headed away from Cassryn, down the road to the next farmhouse, the next family.

No... Ryn whispered.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!" Cassryn screamed.

Hours later, Cassryn found herself sprawled facedown in the forest, miles away from her house, with no memory as to how she got there. It's happening again... not again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:29 pm 
Local

…Meanwhile roughly 6 miles down the road from the house were the latest slaughter has just taken place. In A small Village at the only Inn in town, a man wearing a long black cloak steps through the door, with a quick glance at the room he nods to himself and approaches the Bar. He orders a drink and room. Taking the key and the drink he finds a seat in the dark corner of the room and sits back to enjoy his mead.

“Well this makes the fifth town in as many days; however there does not seem to have been an attack here.” Thought Sorason. “That means I must be ahead of him now…I can’t feel the book, but then again it is a powerful relic.”

Soon Sorason was lost in thought, planning how to deal with his mission, and the powers of the book…

"There can be only one!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:36 pm 
Addict

OOC: Sorry about the bold, MiaoMing; eye hurting text == bad! Trying indented text (via the List tag) for narration instead.
    EDIT: Scratch that. Didn't like the way it made you jump over and back while reading. Now indenting OOC commentary, and italicizing narration, since OOC stuff is an interruption in the normal course of action and any jumping your eyes do will accentuate that nicely.
The wanderer had by now made his way out into some of the most fear-touched areas of the land, trudging from one village to another and sifting through the ruins of both men and buildings for information. The few towns where people still lived had only wide-eyed fears and superstitions to offer him, and he always kept his visits brief, as suspicion blossomed in their hearts like wildfire. Occasionally he encountered lost and lonely figures scavenging from the abandoned ghost towns or hiding in the forests, and when he did he inquired of them what they had seen, and if they knew aught of the creature which had brought terror to their land. Most had returned from a hunt in the forest or work in the fields to find their entire town or household slain. But though all had been touched by the presence of this evil, never was there one who had seen the beast responsible. Always the wanderer encouraged these poor souls to travel to safer lands, but many were too broken in spirit to heed him. So, unable to help them further, he journeyed on.

One afternoon he was on a dirt road passing through the outskirts of a wood when he heard a whistling coming from around a bend. Curious, he listened, and decided that the approaching sound must be coming from human lips. And as he watched, sure enough, a brown-cloaked figure swung round into view. Raising his walking stick in salute, he smiled and called out a greeting.

Hail, traveler! How is it that you keep such high spirits in these dark times?

OOC: Darksetyuna, all yours. I don't know enough about Fae yet to even begin to predict how she'd react. But assuming she doesn’t run away, cower in fear, or attack him, his next lines will presumably be...
    EDIT in response to darksetyuna's next post: In light of her flighty reaction to his appearance, this next line came out a little more uncertain-sounding, wanting to seem friendly but worried he might somehow alarm her further.
It’s a... pleasure to make your acquaintance. You may call me Yevaud.

A smile twitched the corners of his lips as he said this, as though at some inside joke, but he continued without pause.

At the last village I was told by the few people left that this road would bring me to another town, and some farmhouses beyond these woods. Do you know if any of them still hold warm hearths to welcome a visitor? And if not, do you by any chance know aught about the ill which has befallen them?

OOC: He pronounces “Yevaud” thusly: ‘ye’ as in yellow, ‘v’ as in vase, ‘aud’ as in odd; two syllables total, yev-aud.

- Miguel de Unamuno

Last edited by Yevaud333 on Wed May 28, 2003 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:43 am 
Addict

OOC - *bows* .. aight … but a heads up, I won’t be controlling Yevaud much … too awkward … I’ve been taught against it

The stranger startled Fae, sending her reeling off the road and into the trees … … … before she returned, sensing no apparent harm from the man and seeing an opportunity. It was an improbable prospect, yet she wasn’t one to turn down any possibility.

Catching the cloak about her, she pulled on her hood and stepped back onto the path, making certain to maintain some distance.

Yevaud. Turning the name over in her mind, she conjured a quick, drive-by smile and nodded to return the greeting. “Another town…yes, but far from anything you would wish to bother with.”

Eyeing the man, she dared another step towards him, her arms hanging listless, but alert at her sides. “No food, clothing stripped, nothing of value…as I was saying…a waste of energy and security.”

He has food? I could catch him unaware, I could. He’s not from around here. Definitely not one of shadow…

Last edited by darksetyuna on Tue May 27, 2003 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:21 am 
Local

Sorason had wasted no time, after thinking on the matter he decided to make a quick base of strength in this town, should things take a turn for the worse. Before retiring for the night he had convinced the Inn’s very large bouncer to sit and have a drink with him, after about an hour of drinking Sorason put the man into a trance and spoke:

“You know my friend, I am a really nice guy, if anything were to happen to me you would come to my aid right?”

The bouncer nodded, his eyes staring into space.

“Good, if I have need of you I will send a thought, and you will come to my aid yes?

The large man spoke: “Yes…I will…”

“Great” said Sorason with a smile.

He then stood and left the table heading for his room upstairs, shortly there after the bouncer awoke from the trance, shook his head dazed and returned to his post.

The next day Sorason went for a quick tour of the town, finding that it did in fact have a town guard he located the Militia house and asked to speak with the guard captain, claiming to have information for him on the latest attacks. After a short conversation in the mans office Sorason repeated the process he had taken with the bouncer the night before, and instilled the same command with a slight modification, that Sorason’s word was better then anyone else, and should be taken as the truth.

After finishing his work he returned to the Inn to scan the incoming travelers, and to meditate on the books whereabouts…

"There can be only one!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:28 am 
Addict

OOC: ::returns darksetyuna’s bow:: I definitely agree that it can get sketchy writing for other people’s characters, especially early on in a story like this. That being the case, we can simply proceed at whatever pace is necessary to allow the other person to respond; I’m in no rush. 8)
After hesitating a moment to wait for a name which was not forthcoming, the stranger nodded sadly.

I’m sorry to hear that. You must be from these parts, else you would not be here now, I suspect. Though it will mean leaving home, it would be wise for you to head for safer lands. Life cannot have been easy since the killings began.

He paused as though uncertain, but then continued resolutely.

I'm sorry to have to pry, but it is a sad hunter who knows not sight nor scent nor mark of his quarry. If you would share with me anything you know of the evil which has visited these lands, I would be in your debt.

OOC: I will make a character description entry in the OOC thread soon, but I’m hoping to be able to at least hint at who this guy is and what he can do in-character first. (So sue me; I had one of those English teachers who stressed Showing-Not-Telling. :P ) Seeing as how Fae is the local in these parts, you’d probably be the one best suited to come up with something semi-dangerous to go bump in the night or otherwise disturb them, darksetyuna. If you feel like doing so, I’d be happy to have the opportunity to show off a little of what both Fae and Yevaud can do against a few bandits or Book-touched. Just a possibility.

- Miguel de Unamuno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:46 am 
Addict

OOC - *bows yet again* Certainly … and I can try to write your char whenever the time needs it, I’d rather not, but I’m here to serve, anyway. ^^

“When is life ever easy? I’ve been told to live through… and remaining here has been the simplest option provided me … up ‘till now.” She stated, green eyes narrowing at him in the dim light. Fae had already told him too much. It was doubtful that anything promising would come from her ramblings… unless, of course, he was holding back some food that she could charm from him. Neh, too much of an effort.

The twilight’s skies were obscured by a covering of cloud, blinding the moons… and most of those still awake at that hour. She had chosen that night for a reason, and there he stood, staring right at her like she was emitting some aura light. There wasn’t any disadvantage, though. Fae could just as easily see him (without the aid of a spell, if that was his secret), and while it was a bit unnerving to lose the cover of nightfall, she didn’t dwell on it for long.

And when I said that Fae wasn’t going to talk anymore, I lied. Blame it on the fact that she had been hiding alone in the woods for a good week. Or maybe her response was elicited by his query of the …thing… that had initially thrown her into this mess. Whatever. I’m just another author, how would I know?

“Here….I’ll show it to you.” She whispered, extending her arm, palm outwards, and walking closer to him. A faint haze circled in front of her hand, taking the form of a figure … in lighter greys and blacks. After a moment, the mist folded around a blurred miniature of Sorgoth.

But Fae didn’t stop stepping forward. Instead, she closed her fingers over the spell and into a fist, and shot forward … bending low to ram herself against the stranger and send him to the ground. If retaliation was in order, Yevaud would’ve faced that he couldn’t carry it out … as he was held to the ground by some invisible force while Fae knelt and searched him for items of worth.

“I’ve no idea what IT is. It came so suddenly and I fled upon its appearance.” She mumbled, tossing his staff to the side and fumbling about in his pockets. “Surely you’ve seen what it has done. I don’t need to explain that …? Oh! Tell me you have some food!”

He was indebted to her, after all.

OOC – this is all assuming Fae was able to knock him down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:10 pm 
Addict

[i]Talus stopped within the shattered ruins of the town, searching this way and that, hoping to find some other clue about the Book. Finding nothing, as he suspected, he made his way onward, following both the pull of the amulet, and trail of death. He met no one on the path, only corpses greeted his travels.

Somehow, the trail was lost. Try as he might, Talus wa unable to regain it, leaving him to settle into a town for the night, until he may regain his bearings come dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:28 pm 
Addict

OOC: Vandal, I think here's where Meji makes her entrance.

She drew stares wherever she went. She knew this--it was to be expected.

"A Wanderer? What's one of THEM doing here?"

"Gods only know. We can only hope they see fit to make her leave quickly."

She smiled a small, pained smile. It was always like this. Villagers see the black cloak, the boots made for years of travel, the lack of noticeable baggage--they were hallmarks of the Wandering Ones, those outcasts and Fallen who'd sworn fealty to the son of the God of Hate after his own failed rebellion and exile. They needed no extra clothing, no food nor water, and they could sleep anywhere. He was able to provide that little service to anyone--provided they give up on any humanity they might possess. Or so the stories went.

And she knew that as heads turned, these tales would be whispered among the villagers. As usual, swiftness would be required if she were to find out anything before their shared enmity sealed their lips.

She stopped in the town square, looking left and right, searching. Her eyes lit upon a large metal sign. A blacksmith's workshop. The only shop door still open. She sighed, and walked inside.

The blacksmith immediately went for his hammer. She held up a hand in supplication.

"I didn't come here to fight against bigoted fools. I came to ask about the Book."

He recoiled as if slapped.

"Gods--! What would even a Wanderer want with the Book? Besides, we've had no experience with it here."

"Liar."

"You dare--?!"

"Of course I dare. Didn't they warn you more thoroughly about Wanderers? We never fail to speak the truth. And I know you are lying, because I saw how your left eye twitched before answering me. Then, when you spoke, you blinked far more than normal. You're lying about something. Even if you haven't seen the Book directly, its servant was here. Where were they murdered?"

She was referring to the killings, the blacksmith realized. And she was leaning over his forge very threateningly. Though she was slimmer than he was from what he had seen under her cloak, there was definitely an aura of danger about her. As he stared at her in fear, she slammed her left hand down on the forge. He noted the gauntlets, and his eyes widened in fear.

"Whatever you want--I'll tell you!"

"Good. Then WHERE are THEY?"

--------------------------

The house was devastated, but the blacksmith was telling the truth after all. He didn't know it, but this was only the work of a madman. There was no trace of the Book here. She shook her head. Nothing here. Damn.

She left the town and didn't look back.

When Talus arrived that night, the villagers were still buzzing in worry about why a Wanderer had come through here. He paid it little heed, needing more of rest than of gossip.

OOC: Hope ya don't mind that little RP of Talus there at the end. I just wanted to provide a bit of context for Meji's little visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 4:31 am 
Addict

As the girl slid forward through the darkness, the stranger had eyes only for the misty shape coiling before her outstretched hand. The look of rapture which appeared on his face as the long-sought figure finally solidified quickly turned to one of shock, however, as it suddenly disappeared and he just as suddenly found himself laid out flat on his back.

The girl spoke: “I’ve no idea what IT is. It came so suddenly and I fled upon its appearance.” A spasm of pain contorted his features as she ripped the staff from his grasp and it clattered to the ground. “Surely you’ve seen what it has done. I don’t need to explain that ...? Oh! Tell me you have some food!”

As she continued her raid upon his pockets, she could feel him pressing against the force which was keeping him prone, and with a satisfied smile saw that he found it immovable. Just then she noticed a flickering light coming from somewhere off to her left, and she chanced a brief glance over her shoulder. Her eyes widened at what they saw.

By the edge of the path where it had fallen, Yevaud’s staff was undergoing a strange transformation. As Fae watched, a puddle seemed to be forming on the ground around it, and small flames were springing to life all down its length, fanned by she knew not what wind on this still night.

She heard Yevaud gasp, and her eyes flew back to him in time to see his right arm suddenly stretch to thrice its normal length and seize his staff in a single liquid motion before rippling back to its previous size and shape. As his fingers closed about the staff, it soaked up the water and swallowed the fires, becoming once again a simple stick of wood.

Snapping out of her momentarily shocked stupor, Fae was relieved to see that her captive was lying still with his eyes closed, apparently focused inward on something. Then again, that could be a bad sign.... She quickly double-checked to make certain that the force imprisoning the stranger (and what a strange stranger he was turning out to be...) was still active, and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that it was. Then she realized that, at some point during the last few confused seconds, the pockets her hands were buried in had clamped down upon her wrists and fingers with a vise-like grip. Try as she might, she was unable to extricate them from what looked like fabric but felt like steel. Though his eyes remained closed, Yevaud’s lips curved in a faint smile.

Touché.

Tightening his grip on the staff until his fingers seemed to be making dents in the wood, he slowly opened his eyes and locked them with hers.

Now, how about you let me up... and I let you go... and then we see about that food idea of yours?

- Miguel de Unamuno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:28 pm 
Addict

Glaring down at the one she had apprehended … she inwardly cursed herself, as he had taken the advantage and had caught her as well. What was left to do? Fae nodded when he suggested that she release him and sat back on her heels, closing her eyes in a prolonged blink. Once she reopened them there was no longer any force holding him to the ground … and hopefully her hands were freed soon afterwards.

“My food idea?” she whispered, frowning at Yevaud. “I dun like you very much at the moment … but if you feed me, I swear … I’ll love you forever.”

Of course she wasn’t being entirely serious.

The staff trick wasn’t too much of a surprise after her mind was able to process it. Almost everyone she knew possessed some magical ability. He was simply one of the blessed ones, capable of stranger deeds … like herself.

Backing away from Yevaud, she set off down the dirt road in the direction that she had initially intended. There was no food the other way and none where they were currently standing … unless she missed some morsel while searching through his pockets. That was highly unlikely, though.

“Food is the way to a weary traveler’s heart … and feet. Always. The feet are the most tortured features of the lonely, weary traveler. Yet, right now my stomach is fervently objecting that. So … lets go.”

She still kept her jade eyes and senses out for the presence of those corrupted by The Book … but wasn’t as anxious as when she was alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:43 pm 
Addict

Talus fell asleep soon after, tales of Wandering Ones or no. He had expended more magic than neccesary that day, and was paying for it with exhaustion. The rush of the power had compelled him to use too much of the Ebon Flame, expending his reserves of stamina. Rarely was it a problem, but he had nearly lost it this day, almost slipping into the thrall of the Curse.

His thoughts drifted away as Talus fell into sleep, exhaustion and the Book forgotten for one night at least.

It was early the next morning when Talus awoke, and with his power recovered, the pull of the amulet was as strong as ever.

"Now, this Wandering One must be deciphered as well. What would she wish with the book..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 7:14 am 
Addict

Cassryn trudged on through the forest, still slightly in shock. She had nowhere in particular in mind, meandering aimlessly. All she wanted to do was get far away from the... thing... and the now-silent, bloodied house. Absorbed in her thoughts, she didn't notice that the going was a lot easier. She'd come out of the forest and onto a dirt road.

She also didn't notice the pair of travellers until she was nearly on top of them.

"YAAAH!" Fae and Cassryn yelled simultaneously as they nearly collided.

"What the f-" Yevaud's question was left dangling as Fae jumped on Cassryn.

"Please tell me you have food...?" Cassryn blinked at the sudden switch of topics, too stunned to deal with the stranger rooting through her knapsack.

"I do NOT have food, let go of my knapsack!" Cassryn snatched her bag away from the disappointed stranger. "In fact, I was going to ask you the same thing."

"Awww, man..." Fae pouted, then helped Cassryn up.

They don't seem so bad... There's a kind of good, silver feeling about them both. Ryn thought tentatively.
You're too naive, babycakes. Get back into the forest. Dru scoffed.
To do what? Wander around again, lost? Yaslana argued.
Well, don't say I didn't warn you if you wake up one night with our skin all flayed off or something...

"Um... may I travel with you?" Cassryn bit her lip unconsciously, hoping that they'd say yes, and yet fearing it at the same time.

Post subject: Okay, okay, you win, I’ll use quotation marks.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:18 am 
Addict

Surveying the two girls standing before him in the gathering nightfall, Yevaud took a deep breath and rubbed his forehead. He had been so hopeful that he would be able to personally find and deal with the thing of shadow which had come to plague this land, and after so much disappointment and fruitless wandering he had at last stumbled upon a priceless lead to help him in his search. But that lead did come at a cost, he now saw, and while he was happy to be able to pay it he worried about what it would mean for those innocents left to the demon’s mercy.

Ah well. These were two of the most innocent and vulnerable individuals he had encountered, despite the brown-haired one’s little demonstration just now. He would see to it that they reached safety, if safety could be found, and then he could resume his hunt in good conscience, knowing he had not fallen into the trap of forgetting to care for real people while in pursuit of some lofty goal, however noble.

Having made his decision, he schooled his face back into a warm and comforting smile and turned to the newcomer reassuringly.

“Of course you may, my dear. We would hardly leave you to fend for yourself in these times. We'll all be safer together." Again, he smiled. "Please call me Yevaud.”

His gaze shifted to Fae and he raised an eyebrow archly.

“I trust you have no objection? ...good. And while I may not be any more fond of you than you are of me given some of your recent conduct, I am grateful for your help, whatever motives may have been behind it. It is a debt I intend to repay. Unfortunately I did not bring any food with me, but I can offer you my help and protection until such time as you no longer have need of it. At the moment it sounds like that help can best take the form of procuring you some food. Since you are more familiar with this area, I will take your advice as to whether I would have more luck finding sustenance in the wilds of the forests or the dwellings of humans. Either way, we can begin searching now or make camp for the night, if you two are too tired to go further. Whatever you choose, I shall remain by your side.”
    EDIT: Elaborated on his response to Cassryn. In rereading it I realized that I'd left it way too curt and matter-of-fact. Hopefully now it sounds a little more like an actual introduction and offer to journey together. Also tweaked minor details in his later comments to Fae. Shouldn't actually make any difference to her reaction, though.

- Miguel de Unamuno

Last edited by Yevaud333 on Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:14 am 
Addict

“……” Fae turned her back on the other lady and crossed her arms, muttering under her breath how people without food and without the means to obtain it had no purpose to her at that moment and she couldn’t care less whether the girl joined them or not.

After a few seconds of stifled disgust, she just started down the road (supposedly toward the location of food) …and yelled over her shoulder at the other two,
“It’s the lack of food that’s making me tired, lets go already!”

Yevaud could go ahead and ‘protect’ her, as well as keep her company … as long as he kept her fed and content. Anything was better than living away her life hiding in the woods with no decent meals or … nothing… really…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:32 pm 
Addict

It had been years. YEARS, damn him, years since she had last heard definite mention of the Book. It wasn't fair for that infernal tome to still be around, when . . .

She couldn't dwell on the past. She was a Wanderer now, no longer a Lightbearer. And as a Wanderer, she had certain obligations. She shuddered. An oath could be sworn, yes, but even that pales before the strength of memory . . . and the blood on her hands would not fade for centuries more.

"Still feeling regret for the sins of the past," came the mocking, lilting voice of the First Wanderer. She turned to face him, noting that as usual he hadn't bothered to comb his long blond hair out of his face. He tossed his head back, piercing green eyes boring through to her very soul. "Wanderers do not bother with the past. Your only worry is how your actions taken now will ensure the survival of yourself and the others. Oh, I see your face. You always think it so cold, that we don't care more for mundanes. Yet you are responsible for quite a few murders. A bit hypocritical, don't you think?"

She froze. "Those were . . . necessary. They posed a threat to the world."

He laughed, not mockingly. "Every move the Wanderers make is to preserve civilization, in all its ways, customs, and lifestyles. A Wanderer is an outcast who refuses to be cast out, and thus chooses to protect those who hate him. "He paused, taking in her expression. She was, frankly, shocked. While most guessed at this, the Wanderer rarely ever spoke of his reasons directly. "I never have spoken to you of this, have I? Don't answer, that was a rhetorical question. That last bit of your Heavenly heritage never ceases to annoy me. You should only be as formal as situation asks. Anything more is needless pomposity. Wanderers deserve nothing, you should not act like you do."

She nodded. He put his hand to his chin, eyes half-lidded. "You have something you needed to tell me?"

"Yes. The Book seems to be making a path somewhere . . . I don't know where, but I am certaint here is a pattern to its attacks. Certain towns have had attacks that are not directly caused by its holder--merely people who harbored dark impulses already that have used the Book's resurgence as an excuse. I'm worried, First One. This Book has an intelligence of its own--we need to find a pattern to these attacks before the Book reaches its goal. Whatever it intends to do when it reaches there, it will not bode well for civilization or our organization."

The First Wanderer remained silent, absorbing the knowledge and nodding where he felt it appropriate. Finally he spoke. "Good job, Meji. Perhaps that Lightbringer's tenacity is good for something after all. Your information confirms some hypotheses, as weak as your conclusion is, but good job. These facts are considerably more than the average person of today has noticed, and they prove your worth to me once more." She allowed some relief to show on her face. "I . . . understand your personal reasons for chasing the Book, and I will caution you: do not let the past destroy the hope of the future. I am not my father, and you are no longer tied to your love. Understand me, Sinistra?"

She nodded. "Good. Now, I take my leave. Till Death ends all surprises, Wanderer."

"Till Death ends all surprises, First One." But he was already gone.

She swallowed, then allowed one small, tiny tear to flow down her cheek. Her only reminder . . . she would serve penance. And when it was complete, perhaps she could be purified once more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:08 am 
Addict

[i] Talus hummed to himself as he walked, following an invisible trail, one which was often highlighted by a much stronger trail, that of death and destruction. Not even the wildlife escaped easily from the thing's passage. Most would flee well before it's coming, but others would not, or could not. He had killed only a short while ago, a twisted beast, once a wolverine most likely. He had found it worrying over the corpse of a traveler. He had been forced to kill it when it had attacked him, though it would have been done anyway, whther or not the beast had attacked.

It was a presence that alerted him to the fact that he had company. His arcane senses were so much finer than his mortal ones. Talus slowed his pace, creping along through the overgrown forest now, until he could find the target of his curiosity. When he did find the spot, he was more than a little surprised.

"What is this?" He behld only a wanderer, a woman. But the presence he had felt was gone now, vanished into the aether. Who could it have been? All things were suspicious during these dark days.

"You there," he spoke loudly as he slipped out of the brush, showing himself fully. "It would seem I barely missed interupting your conversation. Good. Would you happen to have recently passed through the village of Herron, a few miles back? I've a few things to ask of you.."